ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! (3/28-4/4)

Postby Taz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 pm

We will find out more in the 2010 Iditarod? Now you have me curious! We will be cheering for you. Good luck and great DVD by the way. I recommend it to everyone. I really enjoyed it and Kyle will too when he can come back to normal life! Happy Trails!

Taz
Taz

Postby Breeze » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Martin and Kathy, thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions. I know we are close to the end of this "Ask the Musher" installment, but I'd just love to ask a bit about Goose who led your team Rohn to Nome, and finished the Kusko, and breeding.

Her picture on the Happy Trails website is magnificent (Good Golly Miss Molly, Goose is photogenic!), I read that she and Collar have been/will be bred. I love his picture too, while Goose is thunderbolts and lightning, Collar is veiled but all-seeing.

Do YOU always decide your Kennel breeding pairs? What are your criteria?

What do you see/hope to get in the Goose /Collar pairing? Is this a line breeding with shared genetic and performance history from both sides?

Curiosity doesn't hurt anyone here, and if this is proprietary information I totally understand.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby JerseyGirl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Dear Martin, Kathy, Nikolai and Rohn,
Thanks for always being the role models in the Iditarod circles. I was so impressed with the BSSD interviews, and wish we had that great source of information way back when we pored over race updates and statistics. Years ago my students couldn't wait to follow your progress, and I feel the same every year. Having the video clips and blogs just adds to my love of the race. I have way too much coffee during Iditarod days and nights, but I know I'm not alone at the computer screen, when all the Iditabuddies are there with me watching and praying that everyone will be safe during the race. All the best, and thanks from the bottom of my heart.
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby BB Backer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 pm

I remember years ago that Kira & daughter K-2 were stars. Looking at the faces of a number of your new stars, would I be correct in presuming they have figured prominently in your breeding program? I hope they are doing well and enjoying retirement. :D

As I said before, I love hearing about all your dogs, but Frodo has become my new favorite. I always watch for him on videos at checkpoints. I love his unique face & name and the fact that he is quite the cheerleader and go-getter.
Frodo Cheerleader, barking and always wanting to go.
When we started to head into storms, dropped in Shaktoolik. Nothing wrong with him but had previous frostbite years ago and couldn't risk that happening to him again in the strong head wind
Glad to hear he was dropped as a precaution. Again, your love and care for your dogs is outstanding! :D

Thanks again to you both for spending the week with us. It's been just marvelous! We hope you'll stop in to visit again some time. And next year when you are racing and if you have one of those roller coaster "down" moments, think of your fans on the forum sending you & the dogs our positive vibes! :D

Go Team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Breeze wrote:Martin and Kathy, thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions. I know we are close to the end of this "Ask the Musher" installment, but I'd just love to ask a bit about Goose who led your team Rohn to Nome, and finished the Kusko, and breeding.

Her picture on the Happy Trails website is magnificent (Good Golly Miss Molly, Goose is photogenic!), I read that she and Collar have been/will be bred. I love his picture too, while Goose is thunderbolts and lightning, Collar is veiled but all-seeing.

Do YOU always decide your Kennel breeding pairs? What are your criteria?

What do you see/hope to get in the Goose /Collar pairing? Is this a line breeding with shared genetic and performance history from both sides?

Curiosity doesn't hurt anyone here, and if this is proprietary information I totally understand.

Breeze

Certainly we try to plan breedings. We do have an occassional accident but they also have produced some great dogs. Goose/Collar is a performance breeding. I look at past performance in the family tree as well as current performance as well as physical attributes such as body alignment. The breeding is considered an outcross but within my gene pool. Grand parents and great grandparents will have been Iditarod champions.

I breed and raise all my own dogs. I have occasionally gone out of the kennel for a breeding to enrich the gene pool but this is very rare.
Buser

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:13 pm

I feel greatly priviledged to have interacted with so many Iditarod followers and heard so much about how people appreciate and recognize good dog care. I am stunned by the amount of loyal, die hard fans who have been following me for so many years. I do have fun interacting with the BSSD kids as well as students all over. I will try to check in here more, especially as the racing season approaches. The mantra for 2010 is going to be "speed thrills!" and I'm going to have a blast on the race!!

Kathy here - I am certainly going to print out many of your comments and send them out on the trail in Martin's food drops. I know he gets so tired and may not realize how many people are supporting his efforts. Thank you all for your kindness and expression of interest.
Buser

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Postby Di* » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:10 pm

Buser wrote:I feel greatly priviledged to have interacted with so many Iditarod followers and heard so much about how people appreciate and recognize good dog care. I am stunned by the amount of loyal, die hard fans who have been following me for so many years.

:D 8-) We are so VERY happy to have had you visit our forum Martin, thanks so much for faithfully & thoroughly answering our many questions!

Buser wrote:I will try to check in here more, especially as the racing season approaches. The mantra for 2010 is going to be "speed thrills!" and I'm going to have a blast on the race!!

Sounds great, we would be thrilled to have you check back, don't be a stranger!

Kathy wrote:Kathy here - I am certainly going to print out many of your comments and send them out on the trail in Martin's food drops. I know he gets so tired and may not realize how many people are supporting his efforts. Thank you all for your kindness and expression of interest.

:D What a treat to get two for the price of one Kathy, thanks for joining Martin on our forum! That is a wonderful idea to send Martin our encouragement, we have a blast cheering him on! Thanks also for your tireless efforts on the website keeping us fans up to date and feeling a part of the "action" at Happy Trails Kennels! :)

GO TEAM BUSER!® :D :D :D

:arrow: MOD EDIT: Be sure to also check out the YouTube videos of Martin's 4/27/09 visit to Iowa here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1074&p=23266#p23266
Di*

Previous

Return to Archive