ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! (3/28-4/4)

Postby Buser » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 am

Gatekeeper wrote:Martin and Kathy,
Thank you so much for being here with us! You have a tremendous following here.
I know that you spent your early years in Alaska with Siberian Huskies. The Alaskans are faster, and have other physical attributes that are apparent. Could you tell us if there are differences in training these two breeds and maybe any attitude or personality differences that you noticed?
I would also appreciate knowing what you feel were a few of the important things that you learned from Earl and Natalie.
Best Wishes for continued success,
Gatekeeper

Siberains great attributes are hairy coats, good feet but generally a bit more aloof. It would be hard to train 20-30 siberians to be loose at the same time, my Alaskan huskies don't seem to have that problem. Siberians always maintain a reserve amount of energy because of their instinct for long, endurance running. They keep a spare tank for survival. Physically, they are not built for speed like the Alaskans.

Earl and Natalie's was my first home in Alaska for two years. They taught me the importance of dedication to the dogs on a year round level and the importance of socializing dogs. They provided an immersion lesson in the lifestyle that comes with having and racing lots of dogs.
Buser

Postby Buser » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 am

mamamia wrote:Hi Martin and Kathy! Thank you so much for joining us here. You have a huge following here of which I am one. I have lots of questions but I will try to pace myself.

I have been interested for a long time in the research concerning stomach ulcers in the canine athelete. A few years ago I exchanged a few email with Stu Nelson regarding the use of antacids to combat this problem... something that interested me since I am a nurse. At that time he was talking about using Pepcid or famotadine as the recommended antacid. this year I see that he has recommended Prilosec. Can you tell me which drugs you studied earlier this year and if the Prilosec recommendation came out of that study.

Also, in years past we have had dog deaths and dropped dogs due to ulcers or their complications (anemia, inability to eat well, weight loss and aspiration pneumonia because of vomiting). This year I haven't heard anything about the atheletes suffering from these effects of ulcers. In an Insider clip Hugh Neff attributed the fact that his team was eating so well to the addition of the Prilosec. I also heard many other mushers this year talking about how great their dogs were eating. From where I am sitting as an internet fan there seems to be a noticable difference this year. Is this true? As someone who is close to the race are you seeing and hearing about less problems with ulcers and better eating habits among the teams this year because of this research?

I could gush on and on about all the reasons I am a big fan of yours. Let me just say I think you are wonderful and a hearty thank you for all you have done for the fans of this race.

We did a 54 dog double blind study under the direction of Dr. Mike Davis. We scoped the stomachs of all the dogs before and after a 300 mile training session. It was a comparison study of Pepcid and Prilosec. Upon post exams, it was clear that the Prilosec dogs had few to no stomach lesions. The Pepcid dogs had few lesions, but more than the Prilosec dogs. We do know that the Prilosec had to be administered according to a specific protocol to be effective. I don't know of a direct correlation with how well the dogs are eating.

It was reported that none of the dogs that died on this year's Iditarod had stomach ulcers which is a good thing. By studying cause of death and putting money into research into various problems, an impact is being made. We now have fewer dogs die with heart problems, thanks to prerace ecg's and now fewer with stomach ulcers. However, we do have a way to go and constantly work toward minimizing dog deaths.
Buser

Postby Buser » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:31 am

libby the lab wrote:Martin I fell llike you were in my living room for most of this years Iditarod as everytime I pulled up the iditarod web site until the last few days your voice was on the video clip. I just started closely following the race and other races last year, but your name was already familar as you are a legend. Most of my questions have been asked but I do have a few.
How many dogs are in your kennel on average?
What are your sons doing?

Cindy, Libby and Hank

Thanks for following us along on the trails. It can be quite the roller coaster. I appreciate your reference to legendary.

We have from 85 - 95 dogs in the kennel.

Nikolai is a junior at the University of Washington in Seattle and Rohn is a freshman at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy New York. This was our first Iditarod without the boys. They are having lots of new experiences and enjoying college life! Nikolai just turned 21 on the 21st of March.
Buser

Postby BB Backer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Martin & Kathy, I have thoroughly been enjoying your posts. But this particular post, really has me happy. :D
Story - I am going to write a detailed reflection for 09. We are working on compiling all our Iditarod stories in a book for publication. The reflections do help me process each race but I also need to digest the race before I write about it.
We'll all be lined up to purchase it as soon as it is published. Can't wait! :D :D :D
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby emwcee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Martin, I just looked at my Iditarod calendar and noticed that yesterday was your birthday. So here's a belated Happy Birthday. All the Idita-buddies, let's join together in singing:

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Martin
Happy Birthday to you!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
emwcee

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Martin! You're always a crowd favorite, and I'm pretty happy to be a part of the crowd! I want my question to appear to be real thoughtful on my part and thought-provoking on your part, so I don't have one yet. I just wanted to say hi. :D Hi to you, too, Kathy!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks, Martin & Kathy, for mentioning the BSSD Student Broadcasting Team and the Iditaproject Forums on your blog!

We think the BSSD kids are pretty awesome too! :mrgreen:

http://www.buserdog.com/

Oh and happy belated birthday, Martin! :D
Heidi

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:48 pm

emwcee wrote:Martin, I just looked at my Iditarod calendar and noticed that yesterday was your birthday. So here's a belated Happy Birthday. All the Idita-buddies, let's join together in singing:

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Martin
Happy Birthday to you!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

For he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow
for he's a jolly good fellow!
That nobody can deny!!! :D
mamamia

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm

and many mooooore! :) I am like Moose, I am so awe-struck it is hard to think of a good question. When I looked back through the posts, I realize BB Backer got the ones I was thinking about, so I will sit back and enjoy reading the answers. After reading about the dogs on your site (thank you, that is the stuff we REALLY love!-if we could have the dogs answering questions, I'm sure we would! :lol: ) I was wondering about the dogs in heat. Some mushers seem to have a real issue with that, and others, not as much. Why is that?

Thank you both so much for joining us here, we certainly enjoyed having Rohn! The BSSD students commented on how polite and gracious you were to their request for interview, even though you seemed very, very tired. Anybody who is willing to take time to help the kids is a real superstar in my book!
Last edited by flowerpower on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Stand up,
Stand up,
We won't shut up until you stand up!!

Happy Happy!

Cindy, Libby and Hank
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext