ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! (3/28-4/4)

Postby Gatekeeper » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 am

Martin and Kathy,
Thank you so much for being here with us! You have a tremendous following here.
I know that you spent your early years in Alaska with Siberian Huskies. The Alaskans are faster, and have other physical attributes that are apparent. Could you tell us if there are differences in training these two breeds and maybe any attitude or personality differences that you noticed?
I would also appreciate knowing what you feel were a few of the important things that you learned from Earl and Natalie.
Best Wishes for continued success,
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Martin and Kathy! Thank you so much for joining us here. You have a huge following here of which I am one. I have lots of questions but I will try to pace myself.

I have been interested for a long time in the research concerning stomach ulcers in the canine athelete. A few years ago I exchanged a few email with Stu Nelson regarding the use of antacids to combat this problem... something that interested me since I am a nurse. At that time he was talking about using Pepcid or famotadine as the recommended antacid. this year I see that he has recommended Prilosec. Can you tell me which drugs you studied earlier this year and if the Prilosec recommendation came out of that study.

Also, in years past we have had dog deaths and dropped dogs due to ulcers or their complications (anemia, inability to eat well, weight loss and aspiration pneumonia because of vomiting). This year I haven't heard anything about the atheletes suffering from these effects of ulcers. In an Insider clip Hugh Neff attributed the fact that his team was eating so well to the addition of the Prilosec. I also heard many other mushers this year talking about how great their dogs were eating. From where I am sitting as an internet fan there seems to be a noticable difference this year. Is this true? As someone who is close to the race are you seeing and hearing about less problems with ulcers and better eating habits among the teams this year because of this research?

I could gush on and on about all the reasons I am a big fan of yours. Let me just say I think you are wonderful and a hearty thank you for all you have done for the fans of this race.
mamamia

Postby jplife » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:32 am

Hey Martin
How are things
Congrats on your race this year.
Only got a comment,then one Question
I love the way you let your dogs free at your rest stop in the race,they must loved the free time that you gave them.How do you do that?Lots of dogs would run if the chance is given.
Thanks for your time
jplife
Alberta :D
jplife

Postby Buser » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 pm

One of my favorite things to do with my dogs is free running. We load groups of 20 in our dog truck, and drive to hay fields near our home and let them all out. I walk, run or ride a bicycle and they come with me. We start teaching them to come when called and get along when they are puppies. They get walked in groups and have a blast. I can pretty much let them loose anywhere. It makes getting out of tangles on the trail much easier. In training I often stop and let them all go just for fun. No one has ever run away or not come back to the team - some do freelance for a little longer than others.

Thanks for noticing!
Buser

Postby CynCyn37 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:44 pm

I can see how some would freelance longer than others.

With that, I have a dog-training question. I have a 18 week old Golden Retriever puppy. She sits for a cookie or when she sees her leash, :D but getting her to come is another story :oops: . We are going to start a training class soon, but I would appreciate any suggestions until then!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby libby the lab » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Martin I felt like you were in my living room for most of this years Iditarod as everytime I pulled up the Iditarod web site until the last few days your voice was on the video clip. I just started closely following the race and other races last year, but your name was already familar as you are a legend. Most of my questions have been asked but I do have a few.
How many dogs are in your kennel on average?
What are your sons doing?

Cindy, Libby and Hank
Last edited by libby the lab on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Buser » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 am

We are happy to be involved in this forum, once we figure out all the details. We are very impressed with the extent of the IditaProject and all the information available. We definitely should have a link to your site on our site. I guess we weren't sure what it was all about because we have been too busy this racing season. Glad we are on now. We'll try to reply to posts as quickly as possible.
Buser

Postby boo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:31 am

Martin and Kathy, we really do appreciate your visiting and answering questions here.....there are a bunch of Iditabuddies here from all over the world and we hold the BSSD kids and teachers in highest esteem. In our eyes, they cover the Iditarod better and with more passion than anyone, including ITC. We all felt like we were in UNK, watching the webcams and chatting on Ustream with the mushers in the same room as the giant screen with our chat projected. Please put up links back and forth....this is a lovely place to 'live'. :)
Last edited by boo on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
boo
boo

Postby tilstede » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 am

Buser wrote: We'll try to reply to posts as quickly as possible.

Don't worry and don't hurry :-) We are a patient audience who will stay here for as long it takes to reply to all our questions ... and when that's done, we will still be here the days after that :-)

So; you were born in Switzerland. Do you travel to Europe often?

I'm born and raised in Finnmark, Norway and now live near the capital Oslo (not far from Robert Sørlie). My husband (aka Kitchen King) is danish, and we go to Denmark now and then. What he experiences, is that he after 20-some years in Norway, feels a little like a stranger when back in Denmark. At the same time, every one in Norway can hear from his accent that he is danish. Kind of no-homeland situation :-) Does it sound familiar to you?
tilstede

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! Starts today 3/28-4/4

Postby Buser » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:32 am

Heidi wrote:Congratulations, Martin, on your hard-earned Top 20 finish in the 2009 Iditarod as well as your 4th-place finish in this year's Yukon Quest. Thanks for joining us here! :D

--What is your favorite and least-favorite memories of this year's Iditarod?

--What is your favorite and least-favorite memories of the Yukon Quest?

--Do you think you'll ever run the Yukon Quest again? (I hope you do!!)

My favorite part of this year's Iditarod was seeing my wife and hearing her laugh out on the trail. My least favorite part was the wind and the deep snow.

My favortie part of the Yukon Quest was crossing the border from Canada to Alaska and not showing a passport. It marked with a Canadian flag and an Alaskan flag. Pretty cool for someone who grew up in Europe, showing a passport all the time. My least favorite part of the Quest was the cracks in the jumble ice on the Yukon River. I was worried about my dog's stepping in a crack and getting hurt.

QUEST again, never say never but probably not. I have great respect for the mushers who race in the Quest but I think it may not be the best thing for my dog team.
Buser

PreviousNext

Return to Archive