ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:32 pm

:D It is my extreme pleasure to welcome Martin Buser & his wife Kathy to our talk forum! Thanks so much Tamra for contacting Kathy for us!

happytrailslogo[1].jpg

MBandFamily.jpg

:) Although in my mind Martin needs no introduction, here is an excerpt from his website explaining a bit about him & his illustrious career in racing!
Born in Winterthur, Switzerland in 1958, Martin Buser became fascinated with sled dogs while still a teen. He came to Alaska in 1979 to enhance his knowledge of care and training of sled dogs. He began working and training with long-time Alaskan mushers Earl and Natalie Norris and ran his first Iditarod in 1980. Martin, wife Kathy Chapoton, a teacher, and sons Nikolai and Rohn (both named after Iditarod checkpoints), reside in Big Lake, Alaska, where the family owns and manages Happy Trails Kennel.

Martin spends a large percentage of his personal time speaking with youth on the humanitarian care of animals and the spirit of the Iditarod. A favorite celebrity of the children of Alaska, Martin treats them with surprise visits from his dogs during many of these appearances.

Martin runs the race each year with his dogs to test the success of their breeding, training and physical endurance. He regards his racers as true competitive athletes and prides his team on their longevity and spirit of competition. Says Martin, "I run the Iditarod to prove that my dogs, bred, trained and raced by Happy Trails Kennels, are the best amongst the world's long distance athletes."

Martin's 2002 team currently holds the record for the Fastest Iditarod by completing the race in 8 days, 22 hours, 46 minutes and 2 seconds. As tribute to his treatment of his racers, Martin was awarded the coveted Leonhard Seppala Award in 1988, 1993, and 1995 and again in 1997 for the most humanitarian care of his dogs. The award was named for the most famous Alaskan musher who ran the longest and most dangerous stretch of the 1925, 674-mile diphtheria serum run from Nenana to Nome, which saved hundreds of lives.

Following Martin's 2002 Iditarod victory, the process for his becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States was completed under the burled monument. Upon completion of the 2005 Iditarod after a woodworking accident 4 days prior to the race start resulting in the amputation of a part of his finger, his fellow mushers awarded him both the Sportsmanship and Most Inspirational Awards.

In the summer, Martin and his family give tours of their working kennel. The tour begins with a DVD trip from Anchorage to Nome narrated by Buser and includes his unique anecdotal stories gathered over 23 Iditarods. Visitors are offered a glimpse of a mock up of the Cripple Checkpoint complete with campfire and wall tent. Veterinary and dog care topics are discussed and of course, there's the cuddling of puppies. The tour ends with a riotous symphony of dogs barking as a team is hooked up and taken on a demo run to show folks the dogs in action.

Martin began running the Iditarod in 1980. He currently holds the record for the most consecutive runs (24 and counting ) and has completed 26 Iditarods overall.

DSC_0034-725455.jpg

DSC_0030-725469.jpg

Martin had a busy race season this year;
Kusko 300-2nd Place
Yukon Quest-4th Place Rookie Finish :)
Iditarod-18th Place
Upcoming Kobuk 440

In January of this year Martin was also involved in hosting a research event from his kennel.
The first days of the New Year were spent being involved in an ongoing research project helping to determine the best treatment for potential stomach ulcers in dogs. Actually, two medications were being tested to see which showed better results as a preventive measure. The study involved 300 miles of running dogs in 75-mile segments with rest in between.

Check out this trailer from Martin's video "For The Love of Dogs" available on his website
http://www.buserdog.com/dvdtrailer.mov
http://www.buserdog.com

Angel.jpg

Goose.jpg

house_project.jpg

(All photos by Kathy Chapoton and used with permission)

Check out the Happy Trails Kennels store here: http://www.buserdog.com/merchandise.php

For past 'Ask the Musher' segments go here: http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Vol 1: Karen Ramstead
Vol 2: Rick Holt
Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt
Vol 4: Team Norway (Bjornar Andersen, Kjetil Backen and Robert Sorlie)
Vol 5: Ken Anderson
Vol 6: Rachael Scdoris
Vol 7: Rohn Buser
Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe
Vol 9: Lance Mackey
Vol 10: Mitch Seavey
Vol 11: Ed Iten
Vol 12: Jeff King
Vol 13: Mike Jayne
Vol 14: Brent Sass
Vol 15: Hugh Neff

:arrow: MOD EDIT: Be sure to also check out the YouTube videos of Martin's 4/27/09 visit to Iowa here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1074&p=23266#p23266
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Di*

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! Starts today 3/28-4/4

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Congratulations, Martin, on your hard-earned Top 20 finish in the 2009 Iditarod as well as your 4th-place finish in this year's Yukon Quest. Thanks for joining us here! :D

--What is your favorite and least-favorite memories of this year's Iditarod?

--What is your favorite and least-favorite memories of the Yukon Quest?

--Do you think you'll ever run the Yukon Quest again? (I hope you do!!)
Heidi

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:35 pm

:D Martin it is a wish come true to have you visit our forum! :D Thanks so much for agreeing to do this & welcome to our little family of "Iditabuddies"!

I had only followed the Iditarod for a couple of years when you got your historic win in '02. It was so moving to see you go through your citizenship ceremony under the arch with your family gathered close!

-Would you please share some of your feelings at that time and the reason you felt moved to become a US citizen?

-Also wondering if time or money were no object, what would like to do besides racing?

I enjoyed catching glimpses of you and Kathy on Governor Palin's campaign trail, do you have any interest in entering the political arena someday?

:) Here are some questions for Kathy as well, how have you adjusted to your first year away from teaching? Do you feel a pull to return to the classroom or are you enjoying the change of pace?

Thanks for your reply! 8-)
Di*

Postby BB Backer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Welcome Martin and Kathy! We are SO honored to have you here! :D You have lots of avid fans here on the forum, with me being one of them :D

In the summer of 2005, I was lucky enough to meet you at the Musher Sign Up Picnic and then the following day was able to take a tour of your great kennel. I was so impressed with the dogs, your fascinating and entertaining tour, and how willing you were to share your time. You were very gracious and answered every one of my many, many questions. It definitely was the highlight of my trip to Alaska. I often wonder if the tiny little puppy you put in my arms to hold is one of the incredible athletes on your team. I certainly hope so. 8-)

Here are some of my questions.

I saw on your website that Caribou was dropped due to a sore shoulder. I noticed that you dropped brother Elk at the same time. What happened to Elk? Was Elk also ailing or does he just not like to run without his brother? I know they were two of your main leaders. How did dropping them early on affect your race?

Do you do anything special when training to help the dogs learn to forge through the horrendous winds like you had this year?

We all want to know your thoughts on the Quest. (We loved being able to follow you in both races this year. Congratulations on your rookie run! :D ) Do you think it helped or hindered your Iditarod performance? What were your goals in running it? And will you do it again? :D

You used to write detailed reflections of your Iditarod experience in years past and post them on your website. Do you still write down your thoughts after a race, but just keep them private? Does that help you analyze the race and plan next year's strategy?

This is probably a silly question, but I've always wondered. :oops: Every year many teams struggle with problems from a dog in heat. With all the difficulty it causes, why wouldn't it be worth either fielding an all male/female team or just drop the female in heat? Even if the female is a superstar... if she makes the boys nutsy, how can that help? :? (Just curious!)

This last question is for Kathy. Did following Martin along the trail during the Iditarod and Quest make you worry more or less this year? Is it easier following at home with minimal knowledge of what's going on out there? :?

Thanks so much for sharing your time with us. We love it! :D

Go Team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby CynCyn37 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Welcome Martin and Kathy!

I love watching you race and love the way you interacted with the BSSD Kids in the interviews. Thank you so much for joining us here.

I have several questions for you:

What types of food do you enjoy on the trail?

What is the dogs favorite snack?

Any other races this year?
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for joining us.. Congrat on your race. I will always remember your effort to go and meet at the finish line with every race finisher after your win a few years ago. It impressed me very much and is one of the reasons I am a fan of yours. My question: How many diferent types of runners do you have for the sled with you during the race? Thanks again for being one of the champions who is still willing to visit with his fans.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm

Martin, thanks so much for agreeing to be on this forum. It means so much to us fans! I've really appreciated your sense of humor and positive attitude in everything you do. I still have a picture of you doing the hula after a particularly grueling run a few years back. The picture reminds me to keep a good sense of humor, no matter what. And your "flying GPS" story is legendary around our house. Here are my questions:

1. What is your secret to keeping a good attitude and sense of humor, no matter what?

2. I loved your comment during the Quest about missing Eagle Summit. What was your impression of Eagle Summit? What surprised you the most about the Quest?

3. Looking back over this years' Iditarod, what would you do differently and what would you do the same?

4. You mentioned that you are hoping to take part in some different races in the future. What are some races you are considering? Any in the lower 48? Can you post your schedule on your website ahead of time so some of us lower-48-ers can come cheer you on?

5. Kathy, what did you learn and/or what did you find most surprising about the Iditarod during your tour this year? I loved your blog updates and photos.

Thanks so much.

Marcia (emwcee)
emwcee

Postby luvmy4huskiesn1mal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Martin and Kathy~
We are so very excited to have you join us here. Congratulations on your Quest and Iditarod runs this year. I'm sure everyone is glad to be home getting some much deserved rest and recovery time. How long does it take before the sleep deprivation wears off and you start to feel back to normal? Do you try to get back to a regular sleep/work pattern or does the impossible happen and you have the luxury of sleeping as much as you need to to catch up?

How do the dogs "decompress" after they return? Lots of sleeping and eating or are they looking for a nice run right away?

I see from your website that you had a wonderful meal of fresh crab when you were finished. Maybe Kathy should answer this one...do you fix the guys a favorite meal before and/or after a big race? If so, what is the family favorite?

Do you have a favorite spot on the Iditarod trail that you always try to stop at? If so, can you share where it is and why it is special to you? I'm also interested in hearing what your favorite memory is out on the trail. Obviously, cruising in first under the burled arch four times is tough to top but there have to be special times on the trail that just you and the dogs share.

Also, we are hearing some entertaining stories about strategic "efforts" that have made a difference in a race (Lance's sneak out and now Dallas' head lamp dimming). Do you have a strategy that you used in a race that shook things up and changed the race a bit?

Wishing you the best and thanks for sharing.
luvmy4huskiesn1mal

Postby Sady » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Martin and Kathy, thank you very much for meeting with us here to answer our questions. I have admired you for the several years I have really known about the Iditarod. All the questions I had have already been asked, so I will sit back and read the answers. Thank you once again!
Sady

Postby Breeze » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 am

Martin and Kathy, thanks again for offering your time and insights to this group!

Others have asked more specific race questions and I look forward to your replies.

We already know that the Redoubt volcano complicated your trip home from Nome. Have you had to take special measures since being home to deal with ash-fall?

I am concerned about the Iditarod Air Force being squeezed. Their service is critical to the Iditarod. What can we in the "public domain" do to show our support for their mission?

Congrats on another great race in a very difficult year.

Breeze
Breeze

Next

Return to Archive