ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: Libby Riddles

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: LIBBY RIDDLES (Jan 25-31)

Postby Jan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Libby - welcome:) I'm turning the keyboard over to my 10 year old granddaughter Kayla -- she's going to do the Iditarod Trail Mail Project & wants to ask you some questions

:D Hi Libby I am Kayla I would like to ask you what wildlife you have seen on the trail:?:,

I would like to ask you who is your lead dog :!:,

what was your favorite trail snacks and trail check point :?:

Thanks from Kayla

:D :) ;) 8-) :roll:
Jan

Postby jplife » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Hii again,
My daughter is interested in how many boots do you go through in a race if any.She figures you have to from sweatin to much or gettin wet.so that is from my 13 year old. :D
jplife

Postby libbyriddles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:12 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:Libby:
My all time favorite story of yours from the '85 race was at Rainy Pass where a snoring rookie kept you awake and when you went to grab a pillow to throw at him, instead grabbed Burt Bomhoff's face, causing him to wake up in a panic and respond "Libby? God, it felt like an Owl landed on my face" and you to apologize for mistaking his face for a pillow! :lol:

I would certainly love to hear some of the other funny or unusual things that have happened to you during your racing career.

B

I guess that's why I need to maybe write another book, because you sure get some good stories if you run dogs for any length of time. A favorite funny story of mine was racing over in the big mountains in the Alpirod and going down this suicidal mountain trail full tilt as this was a notch up from Iditarod speeds. Sonny Lindner was a race judge that year, and the officials had strategically placed him at this one killer curve to pick up body pieces if need be. I had a few Iditarods under my bet but had never been so scared I was just screaming all the way down the mountain, just letting 'er rip. What was hysterical was Sonny yelling after me, it's ok Libby, the GUYS were screaming too!!!!!! Some of my best war stories for sure were from the Alpirod, it was crazy, I'm so glad I had the chance to do that! I'm glad you liked the owl story, yeah, some funny stuff happens out there!
libbyriddles

Postby libbyriddles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Moose wrote:Yes! We ALL would! :D

thanks, maybe I can get off the sled long enough to do some writing this winter! ha!
libbyriddles

Postby libbyriddles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Jan wrote:Hi Libby - welcome:) I'm turning the keyboard over to my 10 year old granddaughter Kayla -- she's going to do the Iditarod Trail Mail Project & wants to ask you some questions

:D Hi Libby I am Kayla I would like to ask you what wildlife you have seen on the trail:?:,

I would like to ask you who is your lead dog :!:,

what was your favorite trail snacks and trail check point :?:

Thanks from Kayla

:D :) ;) 8-) :roll:

Hi Kayla! We don't see that much wildlife believe it or not. We see a lot more tracks than we ever see animals. The most common are moose, caribou, foxes, porcupine (our least favorite!) and every once in a rare while a wolf, wolverine or river otters. There are transplanted bison in Farewell, also not fun to run into with a team. Bears are sleeping.

Most mushers have several leaders. Right now my main leaders are Opal & Lu, Tiger, Mouse, Meadow and Trusty.

My favorite trail snacks might have to be croissants with nutella. A very decadent feeling, and lots of good calories, just what we need on the trail! I like Eskimo food too, like dry fish & seal oil. Thanks Kayla! L
libbyriddles

Postby libbyriddles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 pm

jplife wrote:Hii again,
My daughter is interested in how many boots do you go through in a race if any.She figures you have to from sweatin to much or gettin wet.so that is from my 13 year old. :D

Good question, and I think you're talking musher boots, not dog boots! It is hard to find the right footgear for Iditarod. I would send out dry liners and usually just exchange the liners, and send out maybe one or two extra pairs of boots along the trail. SOme mushers like the big white "bunny boots" because there's no maintenance, but they're sort of tough on your feet, being heavy & stiff. Warm though. A favorite now is to wear a vapor barrier sock, then the Norwegian Beta boot, which is felt wool, then an insulated overboot. Light & comfy, and stays pretty dry because the sweat can't soak the insulation.
libbyriddles

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Where did the week go?
Thanks Libby. It was certainly our honor and pleasure to have you do our Ask The Musher segment, and we thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule for us fans.
Miss Libby! What can one say when one of their idols responds to their request to answer some questions from a group of die-hard dog sled mushing fans? I will never forget it. A BIG personal THANK YOU from me. I sincerely hope that you had some fun.
Please remember that you are a full fledged member of our BSSD Forum family now and can log on and read posts or respond to posts, or start posts of your own any time, and we hope to see you on here with us. ;)
Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby libby the lab » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for being here Libby!
Yes my dogs are Libby and Hank :)

Cindy, Libby and Hank
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby boo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Hey Libby....Becki here. I didn't ask any questions because I knew this group would generate wonderful questions, and they did. We sure appreciated all you gave to our stage race here in Oregon and of course you've been huge in Rachael's life. She was chatting with me today on FB and she got to run dogs in Norway yesterday! They belong to the guy who might be here partner for Femund next year and the IFSS Championships. You are a great example of giving back to such a great sport and being a gracious and funny ambassador for it! Hope to see you in this 'family' during the race!!! Thank you thank you thank you for being here!!!!
boo
boo

Postby libbyriddles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 am

mamamia wrote:Hi Libby, Thanks sooo much for joining us here.

I live in Georgia and many years ago I had a friend who was working in Alaska. He used to send me clippings from the Anchorage newspaper and once he sent me this clipping that told the story of this amazing race and this amazing woman who had just beaten all the boys after showing unparalled courage during a fierce snowstorm. Being so far south in the lower 48 it was impossible for me to get any news about the race from year to year but I never forgot that story. Then came the rise of the internet and well, the rest is history.

I just wanted to share that with you and thank you for your contribution to my own personal history. At the time I was young and independent and having lots of adventures others thought I shouldn't or couldn't do because I was a woman. I was so proud of you and inspired by you.

So what are your plans for this year's race? Are you going to do some checkpoint hopping or are you going to hunker down someplace warm with a computer and follow it that way?

Of course if your choice is the latter I know a great group of people you can hang out with online during the race..... ;)

Hi there and thanks for the story! It's a nice feeling to have inspired people, there are sure a lot of tough AK women who have inspired me! I'll be running my own dogs at home during the Iditarod, and glued to the Iditarod insider during the race, and will try to get up to Nome for the finish. Thanks for writing! This has been fun!
libbyriddles

PreviousNext

Return to Archive