ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: Libby Riddles

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: Libby Riddles

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm

It is my great honor and pleasure to welcome Libby Riddles to our Forum and to our Ask The Musher thread. I can truly say there was nothing more exciting for me than Libby responding in the affirmative when I asked her if she would consider doing an Ask The Musher with us, especially as this year marks the 25th anniversary of her historic win! :D Libby will be answering our questions for one week from January 25th through 31st. So join with me in welcoming an Iditarod icon to our forum!

March of 1985 not only brought the Iditarod to the national news (see link at bottom) but also to the local Chicago news where I first heard about Libby and the race. It is, to me, the greatest sports story of all time, and Libby Riddles is the reason I became a follower and fan of the Iditarod. So welcome to our forum Libby and thanks.

libbyriddles.jpeg

Libby Riddles was born in Madison Wisconsin. She moved to Alaska just before her 17th birthday, and has been a musher since 1976.
In 1985, Libby Riddles made history. Unable to find sponsors for the Iditarod, she covered her costs by sewing and selling fur hats and giving sled dog exhibitions for tourists. Once the race began, her team ran away with her sled, she broke a sled brake, and some of her dogs succumbed to an energy-draining virus, cementing Riddles' role as the quintessential underdog. Favorites to win the race included Rick Swenson, a four-time champion, and Susan Butcher, who had twice placed second.
libby.jpg

By the time the pack reached Shaktoolik, Butcher had dropped out of the race and a raging storm halted the leading mushers, including Swenson, in the village checkpoint.
While everyone was hunkered down in Shaktoolik to ride out the storm, Libby seized the moment and set out alone with her thirteen dogs and plunged headlong into the storm and onto the sea ice of Norton Sound. After three hours running against the forty-knot winds, Libby’s team was exhausted. For the next twelve hours, the dogs slept on the snow and Libby huddled in her sleeping bag. The blinding storm was still raging as the dogs awoke, but the team was rested and ready to run.
85_comingintokoyuk1.jpg

Taking over first place and determined to keep it, Libby and her dogs broke trail through blowing snow in numbing cold. Libby’s bold move paid off, and when the storm ceased, she maintained her lead. 3 days later on Wednesday, March 20th she arrived in Nome three hours ahead of hear nearest competitor, finishing in 18 days, 20 minutes, 17 seconds and becoming the first woman to win the Iditarod.
35272libby4color200.jpg

"When I started out across the Sound, it just really looked pathetic because you couldn't even tell one marker from another," Libby said after the race. "But I figured if it does pan out, it might help me win the race. So I'm going to try it even if it's crazy…. I thought I had the team to do it. I didn't know if I could keep up my end of it."

To further support her sled dog habit, Libby writes books, dog wrangles in films, and gives lectures. In the summer, Libby lectures on Princess Cruises. She is the author of three books, "Race Across Alaska", "Storm Run", and "Danger the Dog Yard Cat." She also takes some excellent photographs of the Iditarod and Iditarod mushers. I personally like the one below. ;)
2871_71810537873_744487873_1823515_3406700_n.jpg

(All pictures courtesy Libby Riddles.com)

She has received numerous awards and honors, such as, the Professional Sportswoman of the Year 1985 from the Women's Sports Foundation, Humanitarian Award for Best Treatment of Dogs: Iditarod 1985, John Beargrease Race, 1986 Kusko 300, 1997 Mushing Hall of Fame Charter Inductee Member, Victor Award for Excellence in Sports 1986, Parent's Choice Award: Danger the Dog Yard Cat, and Dog Writer Runner Up Award 1989: Race Across Alaska.
10493-d.jpg

You can learn more about Libby and all of her adventures on her web page
libbyriddles.com.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47IHF9YMVo8

For past 'Ask the Musher' segments go here: http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Vol 1: Karen Ramstead
Vol 2: Rick Holt
Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt
Vol 4: Team Norway (Bjornar Andersen, Kjetil Backen and Robert Sorlie)
Vol 5: Ken Anderson
Vol 6: Rachael Scdoris
Vol 7: Rohn Buser
Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe
Vol 9: Lance Mackey
Vol 10: Mitch Seavey
Vol 11: Ed Iten
Vol 12: Jeff King
Vol 13: Mike Jayne
Vol 14: Brent Sass
Vol 15: Hugh Neff
Vol 16: Martin Buser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: LIBBY RIDDLES Jan 25-31

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 pm

LIBBY RIDDLES’ ASK THE MUSHER THREAD IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS! :lol: :lol:
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

It is our honor and privilege to have Libby on our Forum and mine to ask Libby the first questions.

Libby, if ever one 24-hour period proved without a doubt the absolute existence of Murphy’s Law, it was day one of your 1985 race. Your cold, your broken brake, your team running off short of the Rabbit Lake checkpoint, boulders, trees, tangles, and of course, who can forget the crash into the old ringer washing machine frozen into the trail!
Obviously you never gave up, but just how frustrating was that first day for you? And what did you think of this rash of incidents?

On a lighter note- here’s a question I have always wanted to ask! Did you ever fulfill your promise to yourself & go back and chainsaw that patch of Alder Trees that tried to bushwhack you on day 1?

Thanks Libby.

Brian
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Red_Husky » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 am

Hi Libby
Hope you're having a great winter.

- You have inspired many people to become mushers, did you have anyone specific that inspired you when you were starting out?

- In your opinion, in the last 25 years what are the changes in the Iditarod that have best improved the race, and what has been the most detrimental?

- Were there aspects of the Stage Races like the Alpirod that you enjoyed more than distance racing?

- Would you consider writing an autobiography so us fans can read about your adventures before and since your 1985 race? :D

Thanks
Helen

PS Hunter and Navarre say 'hello' to you and their Alaskan cousins :D
Last edited by Red_Husky on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People will know how large your soul is by how you treat your dog(s)
Red_Husky

Postby txbennett » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:03 am

Hi Libby. Welcome and thank you for sharing some of your time with us Iditabuds in this forum.

I'm scheduled to take a Princess Inside Passage Cruise -- Aug. 28th out of Seattle on the Golden Princess -- due in Juneau Monday, Aug. 30. By chance, is that one of the cruises you will be working this year. Can you share with us which cruises you will be working, so we might be able to book a visit with you on our trip?

On the Iditarod, it appeared that in last year's race Dallas Seavey went to school on your risky tactic out of Shaktoolik, getting a jump that moved him up a few positions overall. Did he just study your strategy, or have you visited with the Seaveys and discussed the move that garnered the win for you?

TXbennett
Last edited by txbennett on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
txbennett

Postby sc-race-fan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 am

Hi and thanks for visiting with us. My forum name comes from living in South Carolina and going to a Sonny King (SC vet/musher) school presentation a few years ago. Been an Iditabud ever since. Since I'm a food lover too, what is your favorite trail snack (you and the team)? Do you think the Iditarod has gotten too big with over 75 teams a year running the trail?, and what is your opinion of the "onboard tracking devices"? Thanks again for stopping by and answering questions inquiring mushing fans want to know.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby emwcee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 am

Hi Libby,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you feel at home here.

Can you tell us about your current involvement with mushing. How many dogs do you have? How much time do you spend with your dogs? Is it purely recreational, or do you still race?

Besides the Iditarod, what was your favorite race? Can you tell us some memories of the Beargrease? The Beargrease is near to my heart, since I was there last year, and I will always remember it as the first sled dog race I attended.

Em (Marcia)
emwcee

Postby JeanieB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm

I'd like to add my "Welcome" to the list here, and thank you in advance for taking time to join us.

I'm thinking I read you really enjoy muktuk. I will be in Nome this year for the race ending (1st time!). Will I have an opportunity to 'partake' of this traditional treat somewhere in Nome? Do I really want to?

What musher or mushers 'coming up through the ranks' have caught your eye as being potential 'greats' in the sport?

What should I 'not miss' this year in my visit to Nome (March 15-23).

By the way, I can't wait to see your answers to previous questions as well!

Thanks again,
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: LIBBY RIDDLES (Jan 25-31)

Postby jplife » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 pm

:D Hey great having you take the time to come on here and answer Question from race fan's.
So you had some big things in your life go on up to now,so are you planning to change anything or continue doing what you are right now.I know sharing your story is great and inspiring a lot of people.I am just wondering if you plan on anything new.I might of miss something.Thanks foor being here.Have a blessed year. :D
jplife

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: LIBBY RIDDLES (Jan 25-31)

Postby fladogfan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Miss Libby, my thanks also for joining us, Welcome to the forum :D

I just finished Jeff King's book , in it he tells about Norman Vaughan, in 1997, putting together the "Ceremonial Serum Run" and that you went on the trip. Can you tell us some of the happenings of that trip? How did your group arrive in Nome within hours of that year's winner of the Iditarod? Was it planned?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Next

Return to Archive