ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: Libby Riddles

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 17: LIBBY RIDDLES (Jan 25-31)

Postby libbyriddles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:42 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:I HAVE to ask Libby, because I think your Iditarod and Musher photographs (that we are able to see) are wonderful.
So any chance of a book of Libby Riddles Iditarod Photographs in the future?
I certainly hope so. ;)

Mgfb

Thanks, I Would love to do a book with a lot of photos in it, I've used that to photojournal a lot of the experiences I've had, you can see some of my photos if you go on Princess Cruises to AK in my slide show.
libbyriddles

Postby Heidi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Libby and welcome to the forum - and thanks for joining us.

First off, I just want to say how cool I thought it was that you were in that parade. I was so excited watching it - and oh, what a beautiful float!

My first trip to Alaska I went on a cruise with Cruise West through the Inside Passage that ended in Juneau. I've been to Juneau (by air) a few times since then. How long have you been doing presentations there? I hope I haven't squandered an opportunity to meet you. :(

The questions that I was going to ask have been answered, so please just tell us one or two interesting things about yourself that no one would know to ask about. :mrgreen:

Thanks Libby!
Heidi

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Hey Libby.
It's pesky Brian again. ;)
Within the next few weeks someone will join our forum for the express purpose of posting anti-mushing messages (they always do) and telling us that our forum and our support of our favorite sport promotes cruelty to dogs. :roll: I'm sure you must get this periodically on your cruise talks and other places. How do YOU deal with such talk? And what do you say to these misinformed and misguided people?
Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby libby the lab » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Libby- Thanks for joining us. I am still newbie here, been around for the last 2 racing seasons.
Did or do you do any work with Vets on research with your dogs? I know ulcers used to be a huge problem in sled dogs and research has pretty much cured that. I have met Dr. Mike Davis who I know is a sled dog researcher. I think my other questions have been answered.

Cindy, Libby and Hank
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby libbyriddles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Heidi wrote:Hi Libby and welcome to the forum - and thanks for joining us.

First off, I just want to say how cool I thought it was that you were in that parade. I was so excited watching it - and oh, what a beautiful float!

My first trip to Alaska I went on a cruise with Cruise West through the Inside Passage that ended in Juneau. I've been to Juneau (by air) a few times since then. How long have you been doing presentations there? I hope I haven't squandered an opportunity to meet you. :(

The questions that I was going to ask have been answered, so please just tell us one or two interesting things about yourself that no one would know to ask about. :mrgreen:

Thanks Libby!

Thanks, I was honored to be in the parade as well. My grandmother used to be a big fan of the parade & went every year. And it's always an honor to get to help represent AK! I've done the presentations there for quite a few years now, after graduating from the sled dog ice camps. I travel a bit to do lectures for corporations & colleges too.

Hmmm a few things no one would know to ask? How about that I have 19 nieces & nephews (many of which like dogs!) and that I love to swim & down hill ski aside from mushing. Thanks for the questions! I hope I'm not missing anyone!
libbyriddles

Postby libbyriddles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:Hey Libby.
It's pesky Brian again. ;)
Within the next few weeks someone will join our forum for the express purpose of posting anti-mushing messages (they always do) and telling us that our forum and our support of our favorite sport promotes cruelty to dogs. :roll: I'm sure you must get this periodically on your cruise talks and other places. How do YOU deal with such talk? And what do you say to these misinformed and misguided people?
Brian

I like to think that these people's hearts are in the right place, they just need to be educated about what mushing is like, which is part of why I enjoy my job doing the shows. I think it's important to face it though, whether pet owners or mushers, there are some bad apples in every bunch, and there has to be laws to protect innocent animals from people who are abusive. If you acknowledge this, it helps get through to some people. Plus the photos of the dogs on the couches don't hurt either!
libbyriddles

Postby libbyriddles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm

libby the lab wrote:Hi Libby- Thanks for joining us. I am still newbie here, been around for the last 2 racing seasons.
Did or do you do any work with Vets on research with your dogs? I know ulcers used to be a huge problem in sled dogs and research has pretty much cured that. I have met Dr. Mike Davis who I know is a sled dog researcher. I think my other questions have been answered.

Cindy, Libby and Hank

HI there, ok, who are libby & hank the dogs, I hope!
I have not worked with any vets specifically on research, but there are some mushers who have. It is nice to have new solutions to some of the few health problems that the dogs get. I just googled Mike Davis & will check out what he's doing, thanks!
libbyriddles

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:16 am

Libby:
My all time favorite story of yours from the '85 race was at Rainy Pass where a snoring rookie kept you awake and when you went to grab a pillow to throw at him, instead grabbed Burt Bomhoff's face, causing him to wake up in a panic and respond "Libby? God, it felt like an Owl landed on my face" and you to apologize for mistaking his face for a pillow! :lol:

I would certainly love to hear some of the other funny or unusual things that have happened to you during your racing career.

B
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Moose » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Yes! We ALL would! :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mamamia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Libby, Thanks sooo much for joining us here.

I live in Georgia and many years ago I had a friend who was working in Alaska. He used to send me clippings from the Anchorage newspaper and once he sent me this clipping that told the story of this amazing race and this amazing woman who had just beaten all the boys after showing unparalled courage during a fierce snowstorm. Being so far south in the lower 48 it was impossible for me to get any news about the race from year to year but I never forgot that story. Then came the rise of the internet and well, the rest is history.

I just wanted to share that with you and thank you for your contribution to my own personal history. At the time I was young and independent and having lots of adventures others thought I shouldn't or couldn't do because I was a woman. I was so proud of you and inspired by you.

So what are your plans for this year's race? Are you going to do some checkpoint hopping or are you going to hunker down someplace warm with a computer and follow it that way.

Of course if your choice is the latter I know a great group of people you can hang out with online during the race..... ;)
Last edited by mamamia on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamamia

PreviousNext

Return to Archive