Ask the Musher Vol.18: Newton Marshall

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Ask the Musher Vol.18: Newton Marshall

Postby Di* » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:46 pm

It is my pleasure to introduce Newton Marshall to our forum! 8-) This thread is now OPEN for questions~enjoy!
Thanks to our great forum member Minipins444 for making the initial contact with Newton and his team! :)

For those of you who aren't familiar with Newton & his journey from warm, sunny Jamaica to the cold below zero temps of Alaska here is a brief summary....

Twenty-six year old Jamaican, Oswald “Newton” Marshall first became part of the Chukka Caribbean Adventures family in 2002. He had always dreamed about working with the horses at Chukka Cove, and having moved up from gardener to other positions he was transferred to the River Valley Mountain Horseback Ride at White River Valley as a tour guide.

Chukka Caribbean Adventures had become proactive in trying to further schooling for employees, while recognizing that many must work in order to support their families. Newton became a most eager pupil. Then in 2005, Devon Anderson, another animal lover and operations manager at Chukka Cove, saw something special in Newton and handpicked him to look after a trio of new dogs at Chukka Cove Farm.

By 2006, the team was a reality; youthful exuberance and a way with animals propelled this young Jamaican on a journey to the snow and great outdoors to train with huskies in Minnesota, far away from his warm Caribbean home for the first time.
Next up was his biggest challenge yet. He left sunny Jamaica in November and arrived in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada to begin his long distance training with three-time Yukon Quest winner Hans Gatt. The goal was to prepare Marshall for his own Yukon Quest experience. Gatt proved to be a hard taskmaster, as the training strongly tested Marshall – and his team’s – survival in harsh conditions.

However, Marshall was up for the task. In March 2008, he finished 7th place out of a field of 15 in the 210-mile Percy DeWolfe Memorial Mail Race and received the Sportsmanship Award from his fellow mushers. He later successfully completed Alaska’s Copper Basin 300 in January 2009, placing 13th in a field of 27 competitors.
On February 26, 2009, Marshall became the first Jamaican ever to finish the Yukon Quest 1,000 Mile International Sled Dog Race. He finished 13th out of a field of 29 mushers. Race officials selected Marshall as the recipient of the Challenge of the North Award, recognizing the perseverance and determination of a competitor.
Marshall continued his success in 2010 with some of his most impressive highlights yet. In March 2010, Marshall made international headlines when he became the first Jamaican to complete the Iditarod, the World’s Last Great Race. He finished 47th out of a starting field of 71 mushers. He also completed the Gin Gin 200 in January 2010, finishing in 15th place.

Newton is currently in Alaska preparing for his next Iditarod & training with Lance Mackey. Larry, Lance's famous lead dog, led Newton's team into Nome last year, wonder if he will be again? Hmmm sounds like a good question for Newton! :D

26125_412329625900_656990900_5709695_3684313_n.jpg

Newton's website:
http://www.jamaicadogsled.com/index.php
or on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/JamaicaDogsledTeam
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/new ... all?ref=ts

**All pictures and biography information used with permission
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Re: Ask the Musher Vol.18: Newton Marshall

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 am

Hi Newton. Thanks so much for joining us here and answering some of our questions.
My question is an obvious one. I have always wondered how you deal with the snow and cold weather of dog sled racing?
Coming from Jamaica, it must have been an interesting change training and running in the snow and frigid temps.
Just curious how you learned to deal with the cold and snow, and if you have any tricks to keeping warm and comfortable on the trail?
Thanks
MGFB Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Moose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 am

Newton! Welcome and thanks for joining us here.

Okay. Let's get to the nitty-gritty right off the bat. You've worked with two of the very best: Hans in training for the Quest and Lance in training for the Iditarod. How are they similar and where do they differ in their dog training philosophies/practices and in mentoring a first-time race participant?

And I'm eager to know your motivation for running Iditarod a second time. You could easily say as to Quest and Iditarod, Been there and done that. What brings you back to Iditarod?

It just so happens I was lucky enough to be in Nome in March when you finished the race. I'll always proudly display my Rootin' for Newton button and just want to say, Nice job,Newton. Really nice job!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:48 am

8-) Hi Newton,
Can't wait to hear,will Larry be your lead dog again?
How many years do you plan on returning to Alaska to race?

What is the one thing you miss the most about "home"~other than the nice warm weather? ;) :lol:

Thanks for visiting our forum this week & thanks for your reply!
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby emwcee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:48 am

Welcome, Newton! We're honored to have you on our forum. We hope you feel at home here, and feel free to stop by anytime, even after the "Ask a Musher" is finished.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What did you find the most surprising about the Iditarod?
2. What are the main differences between the Quest and the Iditarod?
3. What lessons did you learn from last year's Iditarod, and how do you hope to apply those lessons the second time around!

Rootin for Newton!

Marcia (emwcee)
emwcee

Postby JeanieB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Newton, and a very hardy Welcome!

I also had the pleasure to see you come into Nome (my first visit to Nome too, though I got there the EASY way). I haven't seen your DVD yet, but can't wait to see it.

I enjoyed the pictures I took of you at the finish the most, because your face is SO expressive. I could see in your eyes the fear when you talked about getting caught in the blizzard, and the thrill you have in running the dogs.

I am wondering which dogs you had the hardest time leaving when you went back to Jamaica? Also, are there many people in Jamaica who 'get it' about mushing and are following the sport because of your influence? Also, what music do you listen to on the trail?

Thanks for being with us for now, and I also hope you visit our group here often!
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Heidi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:48 am

Hi Newton - and welcome to our forum! So glad you decided to join us for a bit. :)

Regarding dogsledding (& racing) in general, what are your short-term and long-term goals?

Do you think you might ever move to Alaska or Canada?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say! :D
Heidi

Postby jplife » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey Newton
How's things?
My sister/n/law is from Kingston Jam.
She thought it was pretty cool when I told her a few years ago that someone from Jamica was running in the sled dog races.
She wonders how you deal with your cold feet as well,as like she says"he must have to stop a lot for the bathroom".Any way it has been great following you as part of the mushing world.I am looking forward to meet you some day,hopefully Wyoming.
Pete :D
jplife

Postby MushMon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 am

Hi MGFB Brian,
The cold weather was a shock to me the first time I went up North to run the Yukon Quest as I did not know what extreme cold felt like. I knew what to expect when I went for the Iditarod this year and I was better prepared for it. My hands feel the cold the most and my nose gets a bit of frostbite but I try and not think about it, I have the best outer gear available and I do my best. I also sing to my dogs while on the trail and that helps us all!
MushMon

Postby MushMon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Moose,

Hans and Lance are both great mushers with different styles and I have learned a lot from them!

I am running the Iditarod a second time because I know I can do better this time! Last time I only spent 3 months training with the dogs, this time I will be here for 6 months which gives me more time to train and bond with the dogs. Last year my focus was to complete the race, this year my focus is to race.

Hope you will root for me again this year!
MushMon

Next

Return to Archive