ASK THE CHECKERS: Joe and Norma Delia (Starts Nov. 11)

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE CHECKERS: Joe and Norma Delia (Starts Nov. 11)

Postby Norma » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi sc-race-fan:

Sonny King. You cannot think of Sonny and not start laughing. He is a jewel among men. He first came to us as a Vet and if the Sweeties didn't think of something to get into, Sonny helped them out! It was Sonny who started our raffle on first musher in. You got to pick a time, and the one closest won. Pot got to be pretty big back then with all the media. We still had a school then and when the first guy won, Sonny suggested that he give it to the school kids for their once a year trip to town. That became the tradition. Today they still do it, but no school and not so many people left it kind of lacking. To see him mushing was really fun and we miss him now that we don't see him at all!

Believe it or not, Joe and I are basically pretty shy, quiet people. We fully enjoy people and try our best to accommodate them all but we are also quite comfortable just being the 2 of us. When I first came here, I swore Joe had a hobo mark on the property! For the first 40 nights we were married, we had someone sleeping on our floor. :) We get more company than most people do living in the city. I have no doubt that wherever we move to, people will be around...in fact, they seem to be looking for houses for us close to them! :) Right now, what's directing me is Joe's health. Unfortunately he has a fast progressing dementia and its breaking my heart. He has always been the caretaker of our family, so he's finding it hard to give up that role and let us take care of him with any grace. I have never been around this disease and get real frustrated with myself for not doing a better job. The reason for the move is to get help for him and with him. I am not complaining, just explaining. We still have the good times and he's so easy to be around. Says when he gets up in the morning, he has an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other...and he can go one of two ways. He chooses to be happy and easy going. A huge blessing. People are being extra gentle and tender with him and I just appreciate it so much that he's still included in everything and he does tell me when he's is ready for some alone time. To know him is to love him as anyone will tell you. He's a pure spirit.

I am one lucky lady.

Thanks.

Norma
Norma

Postby Moose » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Norma, you're wonderful! I feel like I'm sitting here at the table with a favorite cousin, filling in the blanks to old family stories half forgotten. :D

And speaking of stories, did I hear somewhere sometime that Joe was working on a book? I hope the rumor is true and that the book is a reality.

Joe has been involved in Iditarod since Day One. Did he ever think seriously about running the race? Do you guys still have dogs?

More coffee? :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Norma, Thank you so much for taking so much time with us. I'm like moose, I feel like you are family :D It's really hard on the caregivers to see a loved one with dementia loosing their selfs. Yes I used selfs on purpose. So good that Joe follows the angel on his shoulder more than the devil. God Bless you both and you must be Joe's best angel.

You asked about us, who we are. I'm a pet groomer living in Florida who put the word Iditarod in the little search box several years ago and taa-daa here I am.
I have made some very good friends thru this forum and Cabelas before it. I hope when this "Ask The" thread is done you stay with us to play. I know you will be very busy during the race but we check on each other during the rest of the year too.

Thank you again.

Gretchen/fladogfan
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby jplife » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Norma,
It is such a pleasure to hear your stories, I could read them all and feel that I am right there with you talking.Yes You answer my Question.When u move I hope we still keep in touch on facebook.Love a nd prayers to you and Joe.I have never met you but know you are both loved by many people. :D

Thanks

Pete
jplife

Postby libby the lab » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Norma- Thank you for joining us here! Tell us about what pets you have had over the years while in AK. Anything unusual?

Cindy, Libby and Hank
Cindy Cowherd on Facebook
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby JeanieB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Norma, I am just loving your stories; I can't get enough, and agree that it feels like listening to a member of 'our' family 8-) . It's such a gift to 'write like you talk', and you are good at it!

I am in my 60's, and began following this forum when it was 'Cabela's forum' years ago after watching an Iditarod show on TV and reading Winterdance by Gary Paulsen. These 'Iditabuds' and the mushers who 'visited here' taught me much, and I 'caught the fever'. I live in the Appalacian mountains of Virginia, and am a retired teacher and counselor. I finally got to Alaska in 2008 (was one of the lucky ones who got 'weathered in' at Finger Lakes - loved it, but wish it was Skwentna), after making plans to room with friends from this group and Iditasupport, none that I had ever met before! Now I have met many of my 'armchair mushing' friends, as well as many mushing families in Alaska! I have a wonderful husband who thinks I am insane to want to go to AK in the winter, though he does like going to other wild places with me where there are 'no people' .

I have a wonderful life, too, in the country with little stress; however, if there is any dream I have had that has not been fulfilled, you are living it. Your Joe sounds much like my Dad, though - so hard to see an independent, proud, loving person stuggle so to use their brain - that has always served them so well before.

Thanks you so much for sharing so honestly - I feel very honored that you are sharing all this with us!
Jeanie B
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby flowerpower » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Norma! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your time and tales! I was a huge fan of Susan's and used to scan the paper, and later the web, for any little tidbit about the race. And here in Texas, where football is king, it was always a very small tidbit. ;) :lol: I have managed to convert a few Texas to sled dog fans, and got to meet Hugh Neff a few years ago when he came through this way. It was great!

I can't think of any good questions that have been asked right now, so I'll just say...

Thanks again-
FP, aka Candy Smith over on FB
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:25 pm

How about sharing an Alaska bush Thanksgiving with us, Norma? What will be on the table and where did it all come from? :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Norma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 pm

I think Moose asked about Thanksgiving. I can't see the post now. It will be the same as everyones. Two of the lodges have invited us and the community for dinner which will be turkey and all the trimmings. We have a minister friend who makes it a point to buy and drop frozen turkeys to everyone who lives in the area. He's been doing it for years. Kinda fun to have his plane "buzz" the house and down comes a turkey. :) Kenny is the same man who married Joe and I, so we've been friends for a lot of years. He does a traveling ministry and travels all over Alaska to preach the word of God. He has had some health problems this year and he may not make his drop, which is perfectly fine too. We always give our turkey to someone who maybe didn't get one or a larger family since they are all 20# and above. Joe and I would take from now to Christmas to eat all of ours.

Thanks to all of you on the nice comments. I get off here and think..."well, now you were too wordy again." :) I think I am all caught up on questions...aren't I? If there are more, I'm happy to entertain them. Sure hope you are all staying warm and cozy. It was minus 24 here this morning and zoomed all the way up to minus 10. Now its back to minus 17 so its going to be a cold night in the neighborhood! :)

Norma
Norma

Postby flowerpower » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Norma,

Your mention of the temperature there made me wonder-after being in California for so many years, was it hard to adapt to the cold? Sitting here in the balmy 72 degree Texas night, it's hard for me to conceive of that sort of extreme cold! Of course I sweltered through 80 days of 100+ heat this summer, and people might have a hard time conceiving that, too! :lol:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Archive