Ask the Musher - KARIN HENDRICKSON

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Ask the Musher - KARIN HENDRICKSON

Postby fladogfan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Karin what detailed answers you are giving, some certainly make me laugh. Such as, " having to sing for HOURS to keep them happy! "

Moose and I and maybe JeanieB, met your Mom in Nome in 2010. What a cool lady she is, very interesting. When you had to scratch in the 2010 race, we asked your Mom if you would come on into Nome anyway. (Because we wanted to meet you ;) ). Mom said something to this effect, "No, Karin wants to arrive in Nome on a dog sled".

Do you mind sharing information about the times you had to scratch?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby COHusky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Karin, I really enjoy your recaps of the race on your website.
And no, they are no too long, thanks for writing and posting them.

A question from the 2011 Iditarod, having had two solid finishes since,
do you have any more insight as to why the team refused to continue when at Golvin?
Did you do anything differently in 2012?

Also, and this may be a difficult question, from reading your "stories" on the website,
I understand that you are in this to race and not just finish. There seem to be so many
good teams now, is a top 20 finish in the next couple of years realistic for you?
Is it possible for the smaller kennels to be competitive? Tough question, I know.

Thanks again for sharing with us here.
COHusky

Postby intensekarin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 am

Well thanks everyone for such great questions! I started as a volunteer and Iditarod fan, and I always loved to hear the interesting details, so I'm trying to give you guys that kind of specifics here.

Several of you have mentioned meeting my mother. I'm pretty sure she knows more people in Alaska than I do. She is the one who first dragged me (somewhat unwillingly) to Alaska to see Iditarod and exposed me to this disease. She is the one who sells tee-shirts, organizes silent auctions, and badgers everyone she meets into helping support our team.

She and my aunt Carol come to Iditarod every year, and I see them a little bit. Mostly they are busy with vounteering assignments. They have friends in Unalakleet, so I see them when I stop there. It is fun, although by that point in the race I am 'lower functioning'. They also work in Nome, so I get to see them there too.
intensekarin

Postby intensekarin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:40 am

"Do you mind sharing information about the times you had to scratch?"
"do you have any more insight as to why the team refused to continue when at Golvin?"

Sure. It would be great if these stories had some sort of positive ending about how I learned something, but the truth is, I'm not sure I got anything out of these 'lessons' except heartbreak. There are greater tragedies in the world everyday. Still, it is very very hard to have your 'life's work' for an entire year disintegrate.

So - 2010 was my second year in Iditarod. I felt great and ready to race. We were just barely getting going in the race when things fell apart. We were just past Finger Lake - I've done training runs where we ran farther. We were traveling across some flat swampy areas. I felt a wierd crunching noise under my right foot. It felt just like when ice on a creek shifts and pops, except we were not crossing ice. I looked down and saw nothing, but a few pops later I saw a large crack in my runner, just in front of the caboose section.

While the dogs worked their way through the alternating swamps and forests I spent the next few minutes shifting all the heavy items from the back section of my sled into the main front bag. The back half of my sled was not anchored on the right side anymore, and it was sort of flapping around. It wasn't impossible to drive that way, but it wasn't going to get me too much farther. I managed to get down the steps in good shape, and then through some really tricky sidehill peppered with sticks and roots and stumps and holes on the way into Rainy Pass. And there I sat. A blizzard had blown in, so there was no way to get a spare sled to me. I thought maybe someone would need to scratch and loan me their sled, but by the time Zoya offered me her sled, I'd been there something like 18 hours. I was worried about driving a wild, rested team on an unfamiliar sled over Rainy Pass and down through Dalzell, some of the trickiest sections of the trail. Also, Zoya drives a tiny little sled and has tiny little equipment - her cooker, sleeping bag, and cooler all are about half the size of mine. So I didn't think I could fit my gear into her sled.

That sled was only 2 years old, so there was no reason to expect a problem. Chris at Black River Sleds sent to me new runners -he stands by his excellent sleds even if the problem is not his fault. Since then, I've put another 3 years and probably 10,000 miles on that sled (it's the one I'm still driving), and had not a single problem.

What was there to learn from this? I don't know. I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

2011 was maybe the best time I every had in Iditarod. It was a magic carpet ride. the dogs were incredibly strong and happy. I was aiming for a 1.4 run/rest ratio. That means we would run about 1.4 hours for every hour of rest. So if we ran 8 hours, we'd stop for about 5 3/4 hours. I stuck pretty close to that schedule all the way. We gradually worked our way up from middle of the pack towards the front. In Iditarod top mushers told me whatever I was doing, just keep doing it. In Unalakleet I told my mom I wasn't aiming for top-twenty, but I was pretty sure I could be in the top-thirty. By Koyuk my team was firing so hard and so full of energy that I thought maybe I'd even surprise myself. When I pulled into Elim the dogs were crazy - rolling around and playing. The vets said it was the strongest looking team they'd seen come through yet. Instead of resting 4 hours, I decided to give them 2. White Mountain, with a mandatory 8 hour rest, was only 44 miles away.

We left Elim in 20th place and the dogs pulled strongly over the brutal series of mountains for the first half of the run. I peddled and ran up all those hills, so I was feeling pretty shaky, but was making myself eat snacks and drink. We hit the sea ice on the other side of the hills, and the dogs took off at a gallop for Gollovin. We'd passed through lots of checkpoints - Finger Lake, Rainy Pass, Anvik, Eagle Island. I didn't think I'd have any problem. But just past the little village, the dogs ground down to a crawl, and then stopped. And there was not one thing I could do about it.

I pulled and coaxed and yelled and nagged and walked in front of them until I was hot and sweaty and starting to feel crappy. I always battle dizziness out on the trail - something to do with sleep deprivation. At this point I was really dizzy and staggering around, but still functional. I was also getting really bad leg cramps. It became obvious that we weren't going anywhere (with only 18 miles to go on flat trail, and with dogs that KNEW where we were and how close we were :evil: ). I pulled off booties, made myself eat and drink, and tried to rest. I was pretty cold, so I fllipped my sled over to make a wind break, changed into dry socks and got foot and handwarmers going. I crawled into my sleeping bag and figured I'd try again in a few hours. I was not in trouble, but I was pretty miserable.

A few teams passed me. Then Allen Moore came along and stopped and said why don't we just tie your guys on and get into White Mountain. With my leaders tied off behind his sled, we got up and got moving. The dogs were NOT tired - I rode the brake all the way in. And so we sat in White Mountain, and those dogs refused to leave. I tried after 8 hours. I tried to follow another team that was leading, I tried after 18 hours. I tried walking in front of them for 45 minutes. After 24 hours, they still refused to go. I was so frustrated it was unbelievable, but I didn't see any choice but to scratch.

In retrospect, maybe I should have just kept walking. I had loaded up my sled with food and fuel, so we could have camped three times on the way to Nome. I could have made those dogs sit in the snow until they felt like moving down the trail. But I was still feeling dizzy and cramping and I was disheartened and still sleep deprived. Even with the perspective of a few years and a functioning brain, I don't know if we would have made it, or if I would still be sitting out there.

I have pushed a team hard, and I know what they look like when they are fading and thinking they need to stop. I didn't see those signs with this team. Cutting rest at Elim was a reasonable choice, given how the dogs were acting. So what did I learn? I think I learned to run scared, to be too cautious, to stop and rest my team at the first sign of problems. I am trying to un-learn that now. Because finishing in the middle/back of the pack is frustrating. I put way too much into this, and I am way too competitive to feel good about that. Yep - I know - finishing is a huge accomplishment, I should be proud, etc etc. I am. But....
intensekarin

Postby intensekarin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 am

is a top 20 finish in the next couple of years realistic for you?
Is it possible for the smaller kennels to be competitive?

I think it is possible for smaller kennels to be competitive. Jon Little kept 24 dogs and was very competitive. But he kept his dogs all under the age of 6 or 7. He was able to re-home all his dogs as they got older, and he worked with other top mushers to bring in new talent. I just don't work that way - first, I don't have the reputation as a top musher that would make it easy for me to move dogs, and second, I am maybe a little too attached to my dogs to say goodbye to them when they are still in their prime.

Having been in the top 20 near the end of the race (so close I could just about taste it), I know my dogs are capable. But I also know the race is getting faster and more competitive each year. I think there were probably 30 teams that ought to have made the top 20 this year. Even if I ran the same race I did in 2011, I don't think I would have made top 20 or even top 30 this year. If I had the time to train how I want to...If I had the money to have just a few more dogs...If I didn't have a fitness-sucking desk job. If, if if...I gotta work with what I have.

I've been spending a lot of time looking at the run/rest schedules of other mushers. I'm sort of a data-geek, so I have actually made charts and graphs and pretty pictures. I'm learning a LOT from that. For example, many of the top teams pulled several really long runs (12 or more hours) followed by really short rests (4 hours). That worked for them, but I don't think it would work for my dogs. Ray Redington was very consistent - almost all his runs were less than 8 hours, and he didn't cut rest severely. His speed stayed more consistent and dropped off less than many teams. Good stuff to ponder.

On the one hand, I had a beautiful wonderful run this year and enjoyed myself maybe more than ever (that had to do with getting my head in a good place more than how the race was going). On the other hand, I am much too competitive to be happy as far back as I have been. I think I can walk that line - strive to finish better, and still commit myself to having a great time out there, regardless of position.
intensekarin

Postby txbennett » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am

A very wise person's words of wisdom:

"commit myself to having a great time out there, regardless of position"

If you are having a great time, the dogs will also be having a great time and you will probably finish with a great time.

Go for it!

:D :D :D
txbennett

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:45 pm

hi karen

thanks for all the great replies!

sat here in england the UK amongst 9 sleeping dogs, 8 of which are racing sled dogs, 5 of which are racing still, the rest are retired but still running for fun. We dont have the space that you guys have so we sprint race here in the UK. Im sorry you got our bad weather on the yukon, we were having snow and cold weather here in the UK so i must appologies if we swopped this year and you guys got soaked instead and we got the cold and snow.

ive followed your races and have receivied your updates for a few years now after your rookie run. couple of questions if you have the time in amongst all the hard work that never stops...

what bloodlines are in your kennels?

do you train all year round or do you have a few months off over summer for the dogs to rest?

when do you start your training runs and what sort of miles in what sort of time frame do you look to do?

when training on your four wheelers, what sort of pace/mph do you keep the dogs at?

thanks so much!

matt
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks for doing this, Karin. I'm really enjoying your descriptive, lengthy answers! However, I think you just ruined my dreams of being a handler! ;) Not that I ever thought it was easy but... :lol:

I was happy to read about your pup, Elway, unexpectedly (despite his youth) leading you into Nome. Yay Elway! :)

You've pretty much answered any questions I might've had about your kennel, so how about a few "fun" questions? :D

--You mentioned you preferred the Northern Route better, but what is your favorite checkpoint (for any and all reasons) along the entire Iditarod route? Your least favorite?

--What would we be surprised to learn you carry with you on a long race?

--Who were you most excited to meet for the first time on any of the races you've done?

--What other musher has been the most influential in your mushing career and why?

--What's the worst advice anyone has given you regarding mushing? :D (You don't have to say who gave it to you!)

--What's the best compliment you've ever received while on a race?

--If you ever take a vacation away from Alaska, where do you like to go?

That's all! :D
Heidi

Postby libby the lab » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I am enjoying all these posts!! I don't have any additional questions but loving what I am reading. Thank you for joining us!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby flowerpower » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Wow! I'm even more honored that you are taking time to answer our questions after hearing about your schedule!

For me, it's all about the dogs! Barley is the house dog, right? Do the other dogs ever come in? I know Seb's dogs seem to enjoy lounging around on his couch! And I know parents don't like to play favorites, but do you have a "favorite" or "favorites"? Do ya'll have any other animals?

And I know the general policy is that most dogs aren't race ready until 3-5 years of age, but after your experience with a young leader this year, has your viewpoint on that changed? Maybe we don't give the kids enough credit! (I work in a middle school, and frequently am amazed by what these youngsters can do!).

Thanks so much Karin,
Candy in Texas
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Archive