ASK THE MUSHER Vol 1: Karen Ramstead

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: First Installment: Ask the Musher...Karen Ramstead

Postby emwcee » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Karen,

I'm glad to find out more about the Siberians. They are so beautiful, and I can understand why you love them.

Since you mentioned Old Woman Cabin, I just have to ask: Did you happen to notice a poem posted there? I wrote a poem about the cabin, and John Cn was kind enough to post a copy. I'm just curious if you saw it.
emwcee

Postby northwapiti » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Well, Kara - who was my main leader for a number of years - has been a 'pet' all along as well. Even while she was a main string leader, she lived in the house. And I must say, she is the perfect 'pet' and companion. The key to living sucessfully with a Siberian is they must be WELL exercised. Not just a mile walk once or twice a day - but WELL exercised. A tired Siberian is a happy Siberian.

I don't know much about Mals, but I believe they are quite a bit more laid back then Siberians.

Karen
northwapiti

Postby northwapiti » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Emwcee,

Got to admit I didn't, but in defence, it was dark when I was there and we only ever had a the odd headlamp on inside the cabin. There could have been a wolverine sleeping on one of the cots and I probably wouldn't have spotted it! :)

Karen
northwapiti

Postby northwapiti » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Daphne,

We have a big F450 diesel crew cab truck with a custom box on it that carries 24 dogs plus alot of gear!!! :)

Karen
northwapiti

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Karen:
Great to talk with you. For me, you are one of the mushers who make the Iditarod just plain fun. :D
I attended my first ceremonial start in 2006, and after you went to pet each of your dogs and were heading back to your sled and Iditarider, a few of your dogs began howling. You stopped in mid stride, put your chin up into the air and let out a howl of your own! I absolutely loved it.
When you got back to your sled you waved with both hands (at June Price who was taking photos just in front of me) and I got a great photo of you waving in your dog paw mittens. Is there a story behind them? And are they an Iditarod tradition with you?
Great to have you talking to us on the forum Karen. Thanks.

Brian AKA
MelanieGouldFanBrian
Last edited by MelanieGouldFanBrian on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 am

any chance of posting the pic MGFB ?

a tired sibe is a happy sibe

how true! my lot are all flat out asleep in the wieredest of positions after coming back from a training run in the woods, full bellies, tired paws and happy tails. lolly is on her back feet in the air with her fav toy on her belly!!!!!!

we have a sticker on the back of our dogtruck saying

''most dogs come when called..huskies have answer phones!''

karen, whats the biggest change you see in the dogs during the race?

and how do you train for the distance, do you run a specific team/dog every couple of days or a few days in a row?

do you do back to back longer runs nearer the race to emulate the race stratagies on the trail?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby dilli » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:01 am

Thanks ((((Karen))) for EVERYTHING you and Mark do for the sport, for the breed, for the fans .. Seriously, I bow and scrape before the both of you and thank you both with all my heart for the many years of joy (and sometimes heartbreak) following your dances with your precious Sibefurian children (and Fly, Cricket, Bait, Tic and Tac :lol: ) on your marvelous website.

Silly question .. Did goofy Crunchie count warrior coup on more Discovery camera Mic Muffs along the trail to Nome? :lol: Any other funny North Wapiti Sibefur kid antics tales from the trail you'd care to share? Loved Penny's Crunchie vs Mic Muff cartoon .. will it be used for a new NW supporter tee-shirt motif???
:lol: :D :lol:

Wishing you and yours safe and smooth trails home .. hope you eventually get all your checkpoint gear back too... I remember what happened last year. :roll:

(((((cyber hugs for Team North Wapiti ))))
We've got treats
dilli

Postby northwapiti » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:30 am

Hey MGFB,

(BTW - I am also a Mel fan. She's a terrific lady. We ran our first Iditarod together and I always enjoy spending time with her on the trail).

No real story behind the mitts. I found them a few years back at TidalWave Books in Anchorage and have worn them for the past 3 Ceremonial Starts. They just bring a smile to the face of about everyone that I wave at, so they are fun to have around!

The howling thing is becoming a bit of a tradition too. If you look at Jeff Schultz's Ceremonial Start photos, you will find a picture of me howling with the dogs again this year. I have a dog named Hector that LOVES to howl and he is the inspiration for the team all howling on command! We have alot of fun with it and do it in checkpoints and out on the trail. It is a real 'pick me up' for the critters!

Karen
northwapiti

Postby northwapiti » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 am

I don't see any real changes in the dogs during the race. Their training is indeed patterned to emulate things they will experience on the race (yes, lots of back to back runs and the likes), so the race is not a hugely 'different' thing for them - just more of the same.

About the only thing I'd say is that dogs that I consider leaders in training and shorter races will not always step up and be Iditarod leaders. The extra pressure, and getting up and going when you are tired and alittle stiff (until you get warmed up at least) requires a special leader!

Karen
northwapiti

Postby northwapiti » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:40 am

Thank you for the very kind words Dilli - very kind!

Actually, Crunchie was all business on the race, even when camera were in his face. I think the Discovery guys were kind of hoping he would nail another mic cover, but 'the Man' looked down his nose at them with a look that said "I'm working now boys - no time for fun and games". He's my man!

Karen
northwapiti

PreviousNext

Return to Archive