ASK THE MUSHER Vol 2: Rick Holt

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ASK THE MUSHER Vol 2: Rick Holt

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Introducing Iditarod Veteran....Rick Holt!

Thanks for your time Rick....get ready...get set....GO.....ask away!

tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Re: Ask The Musher, vol 2....RICK HOLT

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey Rick.
How's it going?
I was curious if there were any real tricky spots along the trail for you this year. We on the forum hear, or see, that some mushers get through an area pretty quickly, while others seem to take a longer time. Were there some spots along the trail this year that just made the hair stand up on the back of your neck? :shock:
Thanks for being on our forum and answering some questions. It is appreciated.

Brian
AKA
MelanieGouldFanBrian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby eluciq_kennel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

There were two parts of the "trail" that I found particularly difficult. The first has to be the buffalo tunnels...this stretch leading out of Rohn is nothing but frozen ground with exposed rocks and roots. The trail feels 2 feet wide and is lined with man (or woman) eating trees that lean in as you go by. I spent the better part of an hour (felt like 6) white knuckling the driving bow and working to keep the sled upright. There were several near misses with trees and one barrel roll that left me with cut up hand and dirt (of all things) ground into my jacket and pants. Dirt go figure.... The second and really this is more challenging than hair raising, was getting into cripple... I was so tired that I kept falling asleep on the runners and would invariably fall asleep just as I was approaching a creek crossing...this would leave me in the unfortunate position of waking up midway between the top of the bank and the creek bottom. On the bright side I would be awake and mostly alert for 5-7 minutes :lol:
work hard. play harder.
eluciq_kennel

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Rick,

Firstly Thanks, we all know your a busy man, taking time to do this means the world to us Mushaholics. A HUGE Thanks to Tiff, she kept us up to speed during the race.

What one item did you take in your sled bag that was only for comfort/inspiration?

Did you have an MP3 Player/ IPod?

daniel...tsfr (still for rent...LOL)
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby eluciq_kennel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm

No MP3 or iPOD.... I really enjoy the time to think and solve problems...not necessarily all about the dogs or the run either...I spend a considerable amount of time thinking about the work I do. I think about teaching styles, student interactions, understanding how teams work, grow, succeed together, what it means to be a leader, how the quality of the relationships we have with the folks we work with and for have an enormous impact on what we can accomplish. As for comfort items...or inspiration...my grandmother gave me a medal that my great-grandmother had blessed for my grandfather and my grandfather's Drivers license (its really about one license more that he should of had :lol: ) I also had running through my head the many songs/lyrics that my wife and I had been singing (Are you looking at me...Pal) (Inside joke for Tiff) :D
work hard. play harder.
eluciq_kennel

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks...

Sounds like a good use of time, allows you plenty of time to "brain storm" and reminiscing.

As for the singing...way back (way way back LOL) I was a distance swimmer. I did lap after lap, 20 to 25 thousand yards a day! I Sang and hummed ever song I knew...over and over and over.

tsfr
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby DustMusher » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Rick,

Thanks so much for taking the time to indulge this bunch of armchair mushers.

I see the dogs as the ultimate athletes for the race. What is your vision of the 'perfect' sled dog, and which one of your dogs comes the closest?

DustMusher

edited to compensate for a sticky 't' key
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:39 am

hi rick and welcome back from the trail, fantastic job well done! tiff kept us up to date and filled with information to keep us going...what a team you both are!

what was it like finaly coming off the sea ice into nome, was it an anti climax or relief or just shear excitment when you reached the burled arch to finish the race?

what is the one thing you learnt on the trail and will take away from the race with regard to running dogs and with regard to leadership ( human and canine)?

thansk so much for agreeing to be our 2nd musher!

GO RICK GO !
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby CynCyn37 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:26 am

Howdy Rick!

First, I have to ask for forgiveness for the question by Tori! I am a teacher too, and all kids want to know the answer to that question. I will embarass myself a bit here by telling you that one of my greatest moments in teaching was sitting on the toilet in the Mock Shuttle at Johnson Space Center!!!

I also want to ask how you deal with the lonliness out on the trail? With GPS, could you call home? I bet that was tough!

Final question, please start thinking about what kinds of Southern Comfort Food you want for next year! Flower and I are ready to come cook some chili!!!

Thanks a bunch for sharing. With Tiff being on here, I feel like I already know ya'll!!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby eluciq_kennel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:06 am

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that I am traveling today....believe it or not I am in Golovin (just not on Dog team) doing some work. I will be flying down the trail and back to ANC today so I will be away from the computer. I will catch up with you all tomorrow...

Keep the questions coming I am looking forward to responding.

Rick
work hard. play harder.
eluciq_kennel

Next

Return to Archive