ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:16 am

hi paul and evy,

its so great to read all the replies and thank you so much for stopping in and replying, i know its always hard to find time around dogs and work to do this for us, we really appriciate you guys steping up and doing it. :D

i know its rather belated, but id like to send you and evy our condolences for the loss of govenor, its always hard to loose a friend and team mate like him. im glad theres some promise in his off spring coming through for you guys.

ok couple of questions, why did you choose to race long distance, over say sprint or shorter races, did it just evolve or was it due the folks around you running long distance such as dean O?

how do you spot your leaders when young, do you have anything you do with the pups that might help show up a potential leader in the future out of a litter?

and what methods do you use for leader training, i noticed you were going to do some 'one to one' training with some of the younger dogs using the older dogs, is this just going out with a smaller team with them in lead or just the 2 dogs on their own?

matt (tangles)

p.s. just to let you know you have some big fans over here in ENGLAND UK! were always rooting for you!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby aren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 am

Thanks again for the answer Paul, it is highly appreciated :D
I really hope the two of you will continue to participate on this forum. You have many fans here and it's a great place to be ;) :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby PaulEvy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm

tanglefoot wrote:ok couple of questions, why did you choose to race long distance, over say sprint or shorter races, did it just evolve or was it due the folks around you running long distance such as dean O?
Paul here - I chose to do long distance, because I felt that with my physical abilities, I could do more to help the dogs than I ever could with short, or even mid distance races.

how do you spot your leaders when young, do you have anything you do with the pups that might help show up a potential leader in the future out of a litter?
I have nothing that I do special when they are pups, but you can usually spot those that have leadership abilities early on. they have a desire to please and are usually headstrong - stubborn - bull headed.

and what methods do you use for leader training, i noticed you were going to do some 'one to one' training with some of the younger dogs using the older dogs, is this just going out with a smaller team with them in lead or just the 2 dogs on their own?
I run as few as two dogs just as a pair, or just really small teams. I usually use the older leaders paired with the young ones to teach them. Paul
matt (tangles)

p.s. just to let you know you have some big fans over here in ENGLAND UK! were always rooting for you!

Evy here: England huh? I guess it just goes to show how BIG this whole thing really is.
PaulEvy

Postby Di* » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 pm

:D Thanks so much Paul and Evy for joining us here! We really enjoyed learning more about you and your kennel!
Best wishes for another successful racing season next year!
Di*

Previous

Return to Archive