ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:21 pm

It is my pleasure to announce this thread is open...

Paul Gebhardt and his wife Evy will answer question in this thread for about a week. Please understand they both have full time jobs in addition to maintaining their Dog Yard... ;)

Paul, Evy, thank you for taking part in this. If you read past threads you will find out you ARE a crowd favorite. :D

Check out Paul's website here: http://www.aspenhollowlodging.com/content.asp?CAT_ID=18 (Paul & Evy offer lodging down on the beautiful Kenai Peninsula on acreage adjacent to their home and kennel.)

Paul and Evy Gebhardt at Iditarod Race Start

Paul & with Alaskan Husky "Riot"

Evy and Famous Lead Dog "Red Dog"

Paul and GOVERNOR ...rip

ThisSpaceForRent
daniel
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:00 am

Phwoot, phwoot, phwoot! (Those are whistles.) Applause, applause from the crowds.

Welcome Paul and Evy! Welcome to our little corner of the world wide web. 8-) It's been fun following your trail exploits over the years, Paul. You always run a smart race. Evy, every team should have a SO to maintain a fun and informative website or blog. They bring the races and teams into our computer rooms, at the same time bring us closer to the action. Yours is a favorite of mine.

I've just gotta get off this site and get back to work, but I'll be back later with questions. Just wanted to post a quick welcome!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:17 am

WELCOME! I second everything Moose says, and have to add that I loved Evy's updates on the race. Paul was my number one pick and I thought he ran a great race! Way to go Paul! I, too will be back later with questions. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby emwcee » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 am

Paul and Evy, it's such an honor to have you join us. Paul, you were my number one pick this year too! Congratulations on another great race and top ten finish. I guess I'll start with the first question: What did you learn from this year's race, and what are your thoughts and goals for next year's race?
emwcee

Postby boo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 am

So glad to have you join us, Paul and Evy.....I also read all of Evy's postings and love your website. (By the way, Paul, it is me, Becki, Rachael's handler....do you recall asking me coming off the Chinook trail (I think that was the name), Rach helping get your team of 22 I think around the corner, then seeing me and asking wide-eyed, "Do you still have your teeth?")

Anyhoo, first my condolences on your loss of Governor. So sad to see such a great friend pass so suddenly. So, I guess my questions would be:
"Who stepped up as leaders? I know it is impossible to compare and replace a leader of Governor's caliber, but who shows that potential?"
"What one (or more) dog(s) on the team surprised you during the race and how?"
"Did you wear a helmet again this year....and if so, what sections?"
"Did your fitness level this year 'feel' different during the race?" (esp. issues of sleep deprivation, rebound, etc.)
boo
boo

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Here are a few good links...

Paul Gebhardt

This extremely awesome photo by Jeff Schultz

Meet the 2008 Team

Evy’s Updates 2008
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Postby Heidi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Thank you for joining us! What ThisSpaceForRent said is true: If you could go back through the threads at the old Cabelas forum (the one that was shut down a few months ago and where many of us used to reside) and this new BSSD one, you'd know you've always been a favorite of ours.

One of the annual Iditarod contests we have is picking the musher who goes the furthest before taking their 24-hour layover - we pick the musher and the checkpoint. In 2006 I chose you to go to Galena and I won! So, thank you! I got yummy boxed chocolate as a result of your actions. :D :lol:

My question: Now that the race is over, have your feelings about the GPS changed at all?

Again, I'm thrilled you and Evy are joining us. Thanks!! :D :D
Heidi

Postby flowerpower » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 pm

What do you think has been the biggest change in mushing in the last ten years? and moving forward what would your predictions be for what the Iditarod will look like in in 2018?
Thanks!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:It is my pleasure to announce this thread is open...

Paul Gebhardt and his wife Evy will answer question in this thread for about a week. Please understand they both have full time jobs in addition to maintaining their Dog Yard... ;)

Paul, Evy, thank you for taking part in this. If you read past threads you will find out you ARE a crowd favorite. :D

ThisSpaceForRent
daniel

Well folks, you will have to bear with us, as this is our first go-around with a forum... This is Evy. Those of you that may have caught Paul's speech at the Nome banquet will appreciate the humor in my reference to his being just a little late.... he is actually at a meeting this evening... so will be joining us later if he doesn't get too late. ;) I will work my way through the posts now and answer what I feel comfortable with. The others will have to wait for Paul's response, as sometimes he even suprises me! Thanks for inviting us!
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Moose wrote:Phwoot, phwoot, phwoot! (Those are whistles.) Applause, applause from the crowds.

Welcome Paul and Evy! Welcome to our little corner of the world wide web. 8-) It's been fun following your trail exploits over the years, Paul. You always run a smart race. Evy, every team should have a SO to maintain a fun and informative website or blog. They bring the races and teams into our computer rooms, at the same time bring us closer to the action. Yours is a favorite of mine.

I've just gotta get off this site and get back to work, but I'll be back later with questions. Just wanted to post a quick welcome!

"Moose" - Evy here -
Thanks for the note about the website. I am not sure what you mean by the term SO is, so either "thank you" or "EXCUSE ME?!"
Some day when I have all that spare time I keep dreaming about, I will write a book. Paul certainly gives me plenty of colorful material, and our lives are rarely boring. I truly am glad you enjoy my updates. I once heard an author remark about writing so that people might be able to picture it in their mind through the words you put on paper. While I am not certain that I acheive this, I do feel that through the sites that provide information to the public, we are providing a small element of support towards increasing the awareness of mushing in general.
PaulEvy

Next

Return to Archive