ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Postby anned » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi Evy,

I also really enjoy your daily updates; your writing gives us all a window into what goes on behind the scenes, as well as what's happening during the race. Because I think you write especially well, I've been wondering if you have favorite authors -- in my experience, good writers also tend to be readers.

By the way, I think "SO" is "significant other."

Anne
anned

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 pm

boo wrote:first my condolences on your loss of Governor. So sad to see such a great friend pass so suddenly. So, I guess my questions would be:
"Who stepped up as leaders? I know it is impossible to compare and replace a leader of Governor's caliber, but who shows that potential?"

Evy here..
I really wanted to take the opportunity to thank EVERYONE who has expressed condolences about our losing Governor. I can tell you that Paul misses him terribly, and just reading a simple note like this would choke him up. You may know that Paul spread his ashes on the trail during this year's race. We are really blessed with a wonderful pair of veterinarians at Kenai Vet. Hospital that are talented and good hearted. When they gave us the box of ashes, we were surprised to find that they had given us a very precious gift as well. They had cast his paw print into plaster for us to keep. On the special cachets that I made for Paul's journey this year, I scanned the casting and it appears on them. Paul did not even realize this until he was actually autographing them in Nome for me. So in more ways than one, Governor was with Paul on his race this year.
But to address the question about who replaced Governor, it is remarkable that his own yearling son - who name is Leutenant is one bright shining star.
On one of his last runs before the Iditarod this year, Paul had Leutenant in lead when he encountered Tim Osmar up in the Caribou Hills riding snowmachine as he guaged the progress of Racheal & Joe Runyan's run that day. Paul was testing out his new "sit-down sled" and with Tim still being gimped up from his injured ankle, he knew Tim could sit on his sled and run the team for a while. So the two traded spots for a little jaunt... Tim Osmar running the team with Ltnt. in lead, and Paul able to watch his team perform from the vantage point of the snowmachine. When the two traded back - Tim asked if Paul would be interested in selling that white dog in lead (and he thought that sled was the ticket too!) Evy
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:25 pm

emwcee wrote:What did you learn from this year's race, and what are your thoughts and goals for next year's race?

Paul here:
I haven't deciphered all that I have learned from this year's race yet. My goal for next year is obviously to win. I feel I have a team and the knowledge to win. I really start working on the plan for the race when I am on the runners behind the team I will race. Actually, this time of year, to be honost, my brain goes into construction mode and our lodge business. It was a big decision for me to decide to race again next year. I feel I have to be 100% into the race to give my dogs the competitive edge they deserve. It has to be absolute or it doesn't work. They give me 100% and I owe them the same commitment. When I look at the group of dogs that I have to train, I just feel compelled to race them due to talent that they have and their ages. They deserve this. Paul
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm

boo wrote:So glad to have you join us, Paul and Evy.....I also read all of Evy's postings and love your website. (By the way, Paul, it is me, Becki, Rachael's handler....do you recall asking me coming off the Chinook trail (I think that was the name), Rach helping get your team of 22 I think around the corner, then seeing me and asking wide-eyed, "Do you still have your teeth?")

This is Paul and yes - I vividly remember meeting you around that corner. By the way the TREE IS GONE! I removed it after your accident.

boo wrote:Anyhoo, first my condolences on your loss of Governor. So sad to see such a great friend pass so suddenly. So, I guess my questions would be:
"Who stepped up as leaders? I know it is impossible to compare and replace a leader of Governor's caliber, but who shows that potential?"

Obviously Houston and Bear where my mainstays as leaders. And surprisingly, a four year old named Thor - who is Red Dog's son, led me with Houston about half of the race and he led with Houston into NOme. That really suprised me.
Another pleasant surpise was Leutenant, Governor's son. He is actually 18 months old and he finished with me in Nome. And he IS potentially the dog to replace Governor's ability, I just did not lead him much in this year's race because of his age. But he shows all the potential of a great leader.

boo wrote:What one (or more) dog(s) on the team surprised you during the race and how?"

I think I got that one above.

boo wrote:"Did you wear a helmet again this year....and if so, what sections?"

No - it wasn't windy or cold. Frankly as much as I hate to say it, I kind of wish it would have been windy or cold. But I did have the helmet with me.

boo wrote:"Did your fitness level this year 'feel' different during the race?" (esp. issues of sleep deprivation, rebound, etc.)

I felt about the same. I'm not retired yet! It was nice not to be so sick this year though. Paul
PaulEvy

Postby boo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks, Evy.....that is really cool about 'that white dog'. Timmy knew, huh? And what fun for Paul to see the team from a different vantage point. SO I wonder if Timmy will switch to the OMS? I sure hope the grinding pain in that ankle diminishes with time. His foot looked great, aside from the honkin' scars.....and he thought all the radiation from the xrays cured the frostbite damage on this toes.....very pink and normal again. Altho I don't think he'd recommend lots of xrays for frostbite treatment :)

So does Lieutenant have any littermates or other teammates that are great leader material? Of course I'm biased, but a team that is 50% leaders would be nice. Just hate to have only one 'driver', altho the great teams are often led by one dog that has that quality of drive and singleness of work ethic. All business.

Wow, you do have a great vet....with great understanding and compassion. What a wonderful gift....made me cry. They aren't just dogs, darn it....now I'm leaking again...... :cry:
boo
boo

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:38 pm

Heidi wrote:
My question: Now that the race is over, have your feelings about the GPS changed at all?

Paul here:
I would have to answer that NO. My feelings have not changed. I did see the potential for the GPS information to be misused by the mushers.
PaulEvy

Postby boo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Oh wow, Paul, too. THANK YOU for removing the tree!!!! That bugger needed to go! I haven't ridden in the basket since....on the runners or NO THANK YOU.
boo
boo

Postby Heidi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi Paul & Evy,

I'm really enjoying reading your replies!! Thanks so much. I'm one of the mods, so if you have any questions just let me know. I should be up for another half hour. :)

Heidi
Heidi

Postby PaulEvy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:49 pm

flowerpower wrote:What do you think has been the biggest change in mushing in the last ten years? and moving forward what would your predictions be for what the Iditarod will look like in in 2018?
Thanks!

Paul here:
I think the biggest change in mushing has been the advancement of the equipment. And also of the dog care. Both in my opinion have enhanced the quality of teams and mushers in Iditarod tremendously. proof to this is how close the top twenty teams were finishing in Nome this year, and how the teams all had large numbers of dogs in their teams crossing the line. As far as what Iditarod will look like in 2018 - I'll have to back to you after I talk to the Big Man Upstairs on that one!
Paul
PaulEvy

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:35 am

Paul and Evy,

Thanks for such a comprehensive website. I very much enjoy the depth of the information you include in there, especially the Bio's on each dog you took to Anchorage this year.

Sizewise, where do your dogs fall? My guess would be a bit larger than the typical husky.

Kindest regards,

daniel
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

PreviousNext

Return to Archive