ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt (& Evy too!)

Postby JerseyGirl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm adding my thanks to Paul & Evy for taking time to write about the Iditarod, and answering questions. I'm particularly touched by the openness and honesty of all the mushers who have taken time to communicate with "the Armchair Mushers" out there, and express my thanks to Paul, Evy, Karen and Rick for sharing their Iditarod Trail experiences. The GPSs on the trail only told us part of the story, even though they added some humor. The real captivating stories are these personal moments shared, which give us a far clearer picture of those we admire than any race statistics or global positions. Thanks so much! Write on!
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby Breeze » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 pm

I'll step up and thank both Paul and Evy for their amazing communication via their website,
you two do think alike in more ways than you know. Evy gives us what Paul experiences, it just seems to come from one mind.

I may be in the minority of fans, but i have no love for the GPS tracking experiment.

That comes from where I live and work, if you depend on the merest slice of sky you might be SOL.

Paul, you have been second in the Iditarod twice, and that is an enviable record..

Breeze
Breeze

Postby PaulEvy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 pm

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:Sizewise, where do your dogs fall? My guess would be a bit larger than the typical husky.
Kindest regards,
daniel

Daniel
Paul here - size wise my average male is like 57 lbs, which is slightly bigger than the average Iditarod dog. But I have bred for that and I prefer that size for strength. and my team consisted of 12 males and only 4 females, so it would seem like I have larger dogs because of the male to female ratio. I think Evy might have covered the dog's weights in one of her updates on the site.
My dogs also typically have the wolf like eyes that run in the Red Dog genetics, and they are all brown eyed.
IN the Red Dog genetics, they also typically appear long legged as well. So that may explain some of the size perception.
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:34 pm

flowerpower wrote:Paul & Evy,

Thank you both for your time and answers! It always makes us armchair mushers feel like we have gotten just a little closer to the action. :lol:
In terms of what the Irod will look like in 10 years-more specifically, with the snowmachine accidents this year, do you foresee changes in regulations there? Should there be changes? I know when I watching the end of the race there were a couple of times I thought "oh my!" in regards to all the traffic that seemed very close to the mushers.

Also, there were so many mushers entered this year. I am wondering if there will be more people who will lease a team and enter? Should there be requirements-different requirements about training, experience, etc., than those currently in place? What is the ecological impact of so many dogs and people on the trail? What is the impact on the villages? I had read an article that stated it could be very hard on the villages-stretching the limited resources-and then another that suggested it was an economic boon. I suspect both points of view are correct, but does the balance tip in one direction or the other the more people are entered?

I know there is not a definitive answer, but it is always interesting to hear more informed points of view! :)
FP (Candy)

Paul here:
As far as the snowmachines - we all need to realize that the Iditarod is a public trail, and the ITC cannot control who uses a public trail. Personally I would like to see something done, but I don't know what could be done legally. Not all snowmachiners are bad - dont' get me wrong! Like with anything there are only those few.

On the requirements for rookies, the ITC is constantly monitoring the requirements and the experience of rookies and that is being taken into consideration.

Obviously there will be an ecological impact from so many animals and people. The big concern is the amount of trash left behind and the removal of it from the villages and the wilderness.
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Di* wrote:Thanks so much for joining us Paul and Evy! 8-) 8-) What an honor to have you two on here! :D
Evy your blog is the most indepth and interesting blog I've ever read by a top Iditarod contender's kennel, thanks so much for that!

Here is my question..
I was watching the VS coverage of this year's race when they mentioned some interesting facts about you Paul...seems you can outrun a polar bear and kill a wolverine with your bare hands?!! :shock:

I am definitely impressed and definitely want to hear the story behind those facts! :D

Evy here - well now that you have given Paul a big head... I think you have given me the excuse to write another story... stay tuned to the website I guess!
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 pm

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:Do your dogs run a tad large than the "typical" AK huskey?

Paul here - I think I just addressed that in another post recently.

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:I noticed a small bit of Mackey genes in the kennel...any other lines?, Buser?

I have one dog that I bought from JASON Mackey as a two year old, there are no other Mackey genes in my kennel.
That is a comlex question to answer because I have been breeding my own line for 12 years now, and originally they went back to the Buser and Osmar lines which originally go back to other lines such as G. Wright and Attla, and Swenson and Butcher. But all the dogs in my kennel have been bred and born here out of our own line as I consider it.

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:What is the fastest number of dogs in a harness? 10?...16?...11?

Personally I feel that 8 dogs can go as fast as 16 and any combination above that 8 can go equally as fast as their slowest dog. The thing about dog teams above 8 is you increase the power by every dog you add. YOur speed increases in hilly country by adding more dogs for power going up hill. At one point, several years ago I ran a team of 33 dogs in the Caribou Hills here on the Kenai Peninsula, this was out of control. Now I train with teams up to 24 and I can go as fast up hill as I can down hill.
PaulEvy

Postby PaulEvy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Moose wrote:Emotionally, physically, the Iditarod must seem to everyone involved as if you're on the longest roller coaster ride in the world. You both have jobs; you have thousands and thousands of miles to run if it was just the challenge and pleasure of a run with a team of dogs that you desired. So, what exactly brings you back to Iditarod year after year?

Paul here: I guess my competitiveness and my desire to prove that we own the best sled dogs in the world.
Evy here: I think it's because he needs an excuse to eat TWINKIES
PaulEvy

Postby aren » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:22 am

Hi Paul and Evy,
Thank you so much for joining us on the forum, I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and also Evy's blog on your website. Paul, I am truly a fan and you are allways a mushers that is very interesting to follow throughout the Iditarod.

I have a question for you. It has to do with the tactics of the race so I totally understand if you don't want to share the information.
You have been an advocate for taking the mandatory 24 further down the trail than most other mushers. Why is this and what are the advantages, as you see them, for applying this tactic?
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby fladogfan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:30 am

PaulEvy wrote:
Evy here: I think it's because he needs an excuse to eat TWINKIES

Twinkies should be a sponser of your team!!!! :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:48 am

That's funny about the Twinkies, Evy! :lol: And, Paul, I found it fascinating to read about your runs with 24-33 dogs! :shock: :shock: As a huge fan of roller coasters, this sounds like something up my alley! :D

Where was your favorite checkpoint(s) this year and why?

If you could choose 5 things (from the mundane to the ridiculous) for every checkpoint to have, what would they be? :D
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Archive