ASK THE MUSHER Vol 6: Rachael Scdoris

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 6: Rachael Scdoris (starts Sun. 8/31/08)

Postby Rachael Scdoris » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 pm

All together, we have a little over 100 dogs in our kennel, 24 of which I will take on the road with me.
It is very easy to match teams with Tim. That is part of the reason i run with him, our dogs are very similar, we both have fast teams that require equal rest.
As for training leaders, i run with them, one-on-one occasionally but what we find works best is starting them in triple lead. Running a rookie with two experienced leaders, for the first few times gets them used to running out front, not following anybody, but they don't have the stress of 13 dogs bearing down on them. Once they are used to running up front we remove one of the veterans and see how they do.
Thanks so much for your questions and your support,
Rachael

tanglefoot wrote:hi rach, so good to hear from you and your exploits, im writing from the UK england.
I Mush dogs here in the UK, but its very different to AK!

how many dogs do you have in your kennel?
do you have a method you use to train your leaders?
and how hard is it to match your pace with tim or another musher when you are running the trail?

thanks so much for your time and love the comments and replies so far!! we re always rooting for you over here! what your doing is fantastic!
Rachael Scdoris

Postby emwcee » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 am

Rachael, Thank you so much for taking the time to participate in this forum. We really appreciate it. Best of luck to you!
emwcee

Postby Di* » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:50 am

Yes,thanks a bunch Rachael :) we are very glad to have had you on our forum!

As you head down the trail listen closely, we will be cheering you on from here! :D
Di*

Previous

Return to Archive