ASK THE MUSHER Vol 7: Rohn Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 7: ROHN BUSER 11/17-11/23

Postby Rohn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi all,

The autograph story with Jeff King is that in 06 my brother and I signed Jeff's Iditarod hat at the starting banquet, and he said it brought him good luck.

flowerpower,
I think the GPS system is a great thing to have available for fans, It makes watching the race that much more exciting. There are some drawbacks with it messing up strategy a little bit, but overall I think it will help the race.

Brian,
I ran Mt. Marathon this summer. Basically it is around a 5k race that starts in Seward, then goes up Mt. Marathon, which is over 3000 feet. It was my first time doing the full mountain, I did better than I expected I would do, being that I didn't really train as much as I should have. It is an awesome race, running down the mountain is so much fun.

Heidi,
Besides mushing, I like to snowboard, hike, run, and most other outdoors things.
Rohn

Postby Rohn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:44 am

Hey, sorry Di and fladogfan for missing your questions!

Di,
I feel like I understood the significance of the whole citizenship ceremony, even though I was pretty young at the time. 2002 was an exciting year overall, with the record then the family snowmachine trip back down the trail. I remember pretty clearly my dad waving the American flag as he came through the chute, I thought that was cool.

I didn't talk to my mom at all during the race, technically I think its against the rules haha. I don't think she worried too much about me, but she was definitely happy to see me in Nome.

For the running shoes story, basically the idea is that If you are working hard enough, your feet won't get cold, so I put them on on a few hilly sections. I think where it was most talked about was on the Kuskokwim 300 in 07, because I had them on for probably a around 100 miles, and finished with them on so people asked about them (it probably attracted more attention because they were shiny silver Asics).

I've been running again recently, and am going to build up and start training for the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage, at least that is the plan as of right now.

The thing I like best about college is probably the difference it has from anything else I have experienced so far in my life, there are lots of interesting people and things to do. I think the things I miss the most about home are probably the mountains and the dogs.

fladogfan,
I have not found any mushing in the area, and since I don't have a car here I am mostly restricted to the area around campus. When I go home I'll be able to get my mushing fix by going on a few training runs.

Sorry again about the delay for those questions!
Rohn

Postby BB Backer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:36 pm

Rohn,
It has been a real pleasure having you on the forum. Thanks for taking the time from your studies to answer all our questions. Maybe you can talk your dad into joining us for an Ask the Musher session too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And now for a few final questions. ;) What do you think about your dad doing the Quest and the Iditarod? And what do you think his main challenges will be in doing both? As fans, we're real excited to follow him in both races and hope he does well. Enjoy your holidays at home. Thanks again for sharing with us. HAPPY TRAILS!!! :D :D :D

Go Team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Di* » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Yes, ditto everything BB Backer said! :D :lol:

We will be cheering loudly for Martin all the way Rohn, would be awesome if you tuned in again here as a fan amongst fans during the Quest etc.

Good luck with your marathon training :) (my husband has run two but came down with plantar fasciatis(sp?) so now he just does a half). Remember to double knot those shoes before the race! :D
Di*

Postby Moose » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:17 pm

If you're really into running up hills, Rohn, while you're here in the east, check out the Mt. Washington auto road race. It will really test your mettle...and your lungs...and your heart...and your knees! 8-)

To Di's double-knotted shoelace advice, I'll add: work hard at your studies, but practice moderation in everthing else you do, keep in touch with your mom, find a good woman and settle down...oh, no no. :o That comes later, MUCH later. ;)

It was fun watching you on the trail this year. I hope you'll give us the pleasure another time. Take care.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 am

OK Time's up all :( :lol:

Thanks for participating on the forum with us Rohn! We're glad you were able to fit us into your busy schedule. Good luck in all you do & have an awesome Thanksgiving back home with your family & friends!

Oh and we wouldn't mind you mixing in a few good words to your Dad, between bites of turkey, about coming on here, oh no we wouldn't mind that a bit! ;) :lol:

Rohn After Winning the Junior Iditarod
rohnatjrwin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Di*

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:34 am

Ditto. Thanks Rohn. Great Job!
:D We'd love to ask Dad some questions sometime if you think he'd be open to that.
MGFB
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Rohn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks everyone for all the questions, I hope I answered them thoroughly enough.

BB Backer,
I'm excited to see how the Quest goes for my dad, now that there are no kids at home I guess he has to keep himself busy somehow. It will be interesting to see how he likes it, with it being his first one and having a new trail for him to race on.

Thanks again,
-Rohn
Rohn

Previous

Return to Archive