ASK THE MUSHER Vol 7: Rohn Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 11/17 ASK THE MUSHER VOL 7: ROHN BUSER

Postby Rohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 pm

I went to public school all my years.
Rohn

Postby Di* » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:39 am

Personally it's a real thrill to be talking to you Rohn! :D
I've been a fan of your Dad's since I started following the race in the late 90's. His '02 win was so special,not only setting the speed record but his patriotic citizenship ceremony under the arch with the whole fam by his side! Do you have any special memories from that time? As a young kid did you understand the whole citizenship deal?

It was so exciting to follow your rookie run last year where you worked wonders with your sick dogs! I think you showed real resolve and dog skills rallying your team to a solid finish :) . I know your mom was a bit apprehensive (justified!) about you running the Iditarod for the first time. Were you able to send her any messages along the way to let her know you were ok? (I've always wondered how much communication they allow mushers, emails, phone calls etc.)As a mom myself it was a real touching moment to see her run out to greet you as you came into the finish chute in Nome! :)

Your mom has also talked about you putting on your running shoes during races to help out your team. Did you do that for Iditarod? Heard you raced up/down a mountain this summer, what was that about? :shock: Are you still running while at school?

What do you like best about college and what do you miss the most about home? Thanks for your reply!

Glad to hear you plan on moving back to Alaska!
Di*

Postby fladogfan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks to the Iditabuds with their great questions.
And thanks to you Rohn for taking time to answer them.

Have you found some dog sledding in New York or New England area to enjoy?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby BB Backer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:07 am

Rohn wrote:I went to public school all my years.

Did you have your mom for a teacher? If so, in what grade and what was that like?

At events like the Jr. Iditarod or banquets when hanging out with the King girls or other mushers' kids, did the rivalry of your dads get in the way of friendships?

And speaking of Jeff King, it seems I read somewhere about a funny autograph story with him at the Iditarod Banquet when you were young and again after your Iditarod finish. Something about not wanting Jeff to sign something??? :? Could you please retell it?

Thanks again,
BB Backer
Go Team Buser!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 7: ROHN BUSER 11/17-11/23

Postby dilli » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 pm

Howdy Rohn ... thanks for taking time to play with Team Iditabuddy!
Wishing you well at RPI .. you're gracing my former stomping grounds of 20 years before I pulled my hook and moved west. LOL .. Troy is certainly not the hub of mushing, but hockey is a big deal. If you ever get a chance to cruise to Pownal, VT .. The Apple Barn has the best fresh apple cider and oatmeal raisin cookies. Trust me. 8-)

You answered other questions I would have asked but I hastily thought of one no one has asked ..

How are you planning to follow your dad's progress in this year's Quest and Irod from so far away? Won't it be kind of surreal for you? I hope you'll have time join us nutcases here on the BSSD forum .. perhaps you've heard dark rumors how rabid (and creative) we are about getting timely, semi-accurate checkpoint updates. :twisted:

Wishing you success in your scholastic and career endeavors .. intently followed you in Jr Irod and last year's Irod .. am proud of you. Incoming platter of cyber brownies.
Be and stay well ... a very Happy Thanksgiving and reunion to you and your family, thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions!
Dilli
Last edited by dilli on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby CynCyn37 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Hey Rohn!

Thanks for joining us here on the forum. Sorry I am so late in the discussion, I've been writing grants and getting ready for an event tomorrow.

Don't have any questions that haven't been asked, so just saying thanks!

CynCyn
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Rohn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 pm

BB Backer,
I had my mom as my teacher in first grade.

My brother and I always had a good time at the banquets and in Nome with other mushers' kids, we all get along fine.

I'll post the story tomorrow, I have a little chem studying to do but I'll get back to you on that one.

dilli,
I'm not sure how I'll follow the Quest, but I'm sure I'll hear of it somehow, I figure my dad will be ok.
Rohn

Postby flowerpower » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks Rohn, and good luck in your studies! I appreciate your thoughtful replies, and for you taking time to share them with us here in "armchair mushing" land!

What did you think about the GPS system this year?

Thanks!
Candy aka flowerpower
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Hey Rohn:
Di mentioned in her question about you running up a mountain last summer. Did you do the Mt. Marathon run in Seward? :o
I looked up at Mt. Marathon once when I was in Seward and got fatigued. :roll: I can't imagine running up & down it!
I know it's an actual race, so how did you finish?
Ahh, to be young again :D
MGFB
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:I looked up at Mt. Marathon once when I was in Seward and got fatigued. :roll: I can't imagine running up & down it!... Ahh, to be young again.

mgfb, you don't have to be young to do it! In 2004, a 75 yr old won his age group and beat a bunch of men half his age. And in 2006 a 77 year old finished in decent time. And I know you're not that old! ;) :D Mt. Marathon definitely looks like it would wreak havoc on the knees though! Road cycling is more my thing.

Rohn, what sports/hobbies do you enjoy most besides mushing?
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Archive