ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (Starts 12/1)

Postby emwcee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Dee Dee,

It's such an honor to be able to "talk" with you via the forum. You are one of my favorite mushers, and I hope I can meet you in person someday. I live in Nebraska, and I've been following you in the race since I started this obsession in 2004.

I loved seeing you in the Discovery show, especially the way you interacted with your dogs. And the shot of the Northern Lights from your sled was inspiring. I also loved it when you said: "I don't want to live safe; I'm interested in living full." I now have that listed, with your name, as one of my favorite quotations on my Facebook page.

So, with that in mind, my first question is this: Besides sled dog racing, what makes your life full?

Also, do you any plans to travel and speak in the central part of the U.S. -- specifically around Nebraska/Iowa/Kansas area? What's the best way to find out about your speaking schedule?

I heard you are working on a book about your experience with breast cancer. When will the book be available?

Thanks so much for your replies.

emwcee (a.k.a. Marcia)
emwcee

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (12/1-12/8)

Postby Heidi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 am

MOD NOTE: There were a few technical issues tonight, and Dee Dee will be posting again on Tuesday.
Heidi

Postby DeeDee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 am

Wow Finally I got back on. I am sorry I have not been timely I have just spent alot more time of the runners than on a keyboard and I managed to lock myself off the site last night. Let's see, my signature parka was my vision; Pat Owens and Jeanette Willis created it and Keith and Julie Curtis from Artic Midnight Furs in Anchorage did all the fur work. The outside is beautiful but the real secret is the fur liner. I had been so cold especially after chemotheorpy and nothing was really working. I asked how the guys on the coast stay warm. Putting the fur inside with the skin keeping the wind and cold out has been superior. It is not the answer for wet weather but oh my, how I love the skin I am in when it is cold and the wind blows. The outside shell is a gortex type fabric styled in pull-over kuspuk style. I can put whatever layer under it that is right for the weather. Enough parka story needless to say I am VERY happy with it. It is no secret why it is pink, the particular shade because that was all Jeanette could find, but I wanted to WEAR my survival of breast cancer proudly and hope to remind my adult fans to do regular check-ups. I could have had a much easier time of it if I had done that and seeked treatment earlier.
My sleds are mainly built by the Willis Family. Bernie, Jeanette's husband(this is a very tallented family), has built me lamenated runners that accept the rex plastic. The runners change plastic really well and fast and these runners are TOUGH. Yea! I am not breaking the alum. runners anymore. These things are a new tech. thing and I am sold. I really like a flexible sled and with these runners, and a fabric bed, I love the way this sled drives. My trailer sled was built by Art Church. It really drives easily and is light. Right now that sled is on the alum runners but I will be eventually moving everything over to the wooden lamenated runners. If you want to contact the Willis' their email address is arcticarrow@gci.net. Let me know if you have a problem with that. Those of you on the coast know this talented family, Andy is Mark Nordman's trail assistant and overall race coordinator, and Tony is a pilot in Kotz. Janet their daughter is a flight control officer for the FAA at the Anchorage airport. Bernie was one of the skilled ALASKA Airline pilots that flew the state for years.
Sunny Attitude- Trying to keep all the questions in my head. I have been open that my faith in God is the energy that makes this imperfect instrument work. I know I cannot hold it together myself especially since I thrive living on the edge often over my head. I almost felt like I had traveled on the Iditarod for so many years that I did not fully appreciate what a treasure it is and then in 2007 I broke my hand and never even got to the Kuskokwim. I was so sad missing all the people and the beautiful nights traveling with my dogs under the northern lights. This year I had an adjustment in my perspective. I am so thankful for the health and opprotunity to be out there. In my opinion if someone as me to describe my vision of God, Himself, I would visualize the Bering Sea Coast. It is beautiful yet terrifing. The wind blows harder and is more powerful than any force I have ever experienced and He is still holding His breath. The people are the kindest, friendliest, most beautiful ever born and inside they are tougher than anybody can ever dream of being. There are more contrasts everytime I start thinking about it, and when I am on the trail I feel closer to God than anywhere in my life. With that reaction it is hard not to be content even when I am frustrated and very very tired. The challenges of the trail make me feel more alive than when I am in the cocoon of my sheltered life. I like my shelter, don't get me wrong, but I really love being out in creation without the filters of civilation. That is more real because I am traveling with dogs that give me love, something I just do not feel from machinery. I guess it is also true that I have had some very miserable situations and they have given me a thankful heart to be OUT of them at this time. I am again training 2 teams a day by myself regularily spending 6 to 8 hours a day on the runners, I have not been able to do that since 2000.
Actually everything I like to do in a days time is made better when I share it with my dogs : house dogs( we currently have 3 labs, 2 old lead dogs, and Mr.Migayi a pekingnese), out side dogs ( I have 63), young or old, life is just richer when they are around.
Got to go to Anchorage today so I will not be back on until tonight. Have a good day.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

Postby DeeDee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:38 am

I checked back and there are still some unanswered questions. Let's see---- We put electric fences around the entrance of our driveway and the outside perimeter of the chicken's yard and dumpster which provided a safe area for our dogs as well from the grizzlies this past summer. It was way better than shooting them and does the job. I just am not anxious to shoot bears if I do not have too only if my animals need to be protected. I would put my friends in the category too.
The best way to see my travel and speaking schedule is on my website: deedeejonrowe.com. I have experienced a reduction recently I am sure do to the economy. I am hoping this will recover as it has helped me support my kennel.
You know I really do not think I am treated differenly now as a female competitor. One of my favorite things about the Iditarod is that the competition is exactly the same opportunity for every competitor. The mts. are just as high, the wind just as strong, no handicapping it is up to the competitor to study their own personal strenghths and weaknesses and come up with a plan to deal with them. My experience has been that I am treated in relationship to how I treat them. I have a great deal of respect for all competitiors. I may not like their actions at times but they would not be out there if not for alot of very hard work and respect for their dogs.
Now I really must go talk to you again tonight if I can get back on ok. It will be MY tech deficiency if not. Have a good day it is -21 F this morning.
DeeDee

Postby CynCyn37 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:37 am

Thank you for posting! You are such an inspiration.

Happy Trails to You!!!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby flowerpower » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:22 pm

Welcome DeeDee, and thank you so much for making time and your candid writing. I love the Discovery series and you sweet talking the dogs leaving the check point! I just played that over and over! I wish we had a whole series on each musher! I wanted to see more!

Anyway, my question is, who were your inspirations for mushing?

Is there anything you haven't done that you want to try?

Thank you so much!
Candy Smith in Texas
aka Flowerpower
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Di* » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 pm

:D DeeDee I love the part in the Discovery series where you drive past a resting Martin and Rohn and say something like "there are my buser boys!" :lol: I'm a HUGE fan of Martin & Rohn and saw you on his video also!

How long have you known Martin and who raced Iditarod first? (I know I could look it up but I would like to hear you tell it!) Thanks!
Di*

Postby Moose » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

DeeDee wrote:...Enough parka story needless to say I am VERY happy with it. It is no secret why it is pink, the particular shade because that was all Jeanette could find, but I wanted to WEAR my survival of breast cancer proudly ...
Sunny Attitude- ...Actually everything I like to do in a days time is made better when I share it with my dogs... life is just richer when they are around.

You wear the pink parka well, DeeDee. You do yourself proud. Heck, you do ALL of us proud.

Ditto the dogs adding richness to our lives. I'll take it a step further and say that the dogs leading you up the Iditarod Trail is symbolic of dogs leading us through life. They are our little guides. Thank God for the Dogs. ;)

Now, did anyone ask you yet about what you pack for yourself for meals and snacks? (Just coming off Thanksgiving, my mind is still stuck on food!) :shock:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby DeeDee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Finally home and it has not been a real successful day. Things have not gone well on my list of things to do, few of them were crossed off and we just got a phone call that 2 1/2 tons of meat will arrive around 10pm to be unloaded. Today will have started at 4:30am and end sometime around 11:30pm and it was a day OFF. Martin (whom I love as if he were my biological brother making Rohn my nephew), and I raced our rookie year together in 1980. We finished very closely together he was 22 and me 24th. I remember he was racing purebred siberians from Earl Norris, myself a hodge podge of village dogs from Bethel. We have come a long ways. My first inspiration to mush was George Attla and Doc Lombard. They were like watching poetry in motion and I loved their unspoken bond with their dogs. I use to fly to Anchorage for the bush, Bethel, to watch them race the Fur Rondy. It was magic in motion and someday I wanted to do that. Then I keyed in on Roxy Wright. She and Susan Butcher encouraged me and told me I could be good at this. I will always have a special place in my heart for both of them.
Anything I still want to try - I am not satisfied with Kona Ironman. I want to FINISH not just try, the Kona Ironman, not just an Ironman I want KONA.
I eat whatever my good friend David Martin makes me. He usually saves leftover from meals including Thanksgiving, and seals packages of them for me for the trail. I REALLY crave vegetables especially spinach. I REALLY like green veg. Peanut butter cookies are also my favorites. Well guess that is about it for questions tonight. I will check back later. By the way thank you to the kind fans that have purchased my tee shirts from the web site . You are EACH supporting my race season and I appreciate it very very much.
DeeDee

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 pm

This is so interesting to read, Dee Dee!! Thank you!

I have these questions: (I asked Lance the same ones, will be interesting to see how you respond :D )

Question about dogs:
Have you changed the type of dogs you use for the I'rod/Quest over the years? Bigger/smaller, strength/stamina? Do you for instance see a difference between the usual Alaskan team and the European ones?

Question about weather:
Do you prefer a certain type of weather? Are storms/deep snow/cold temps advantage/disadvantage for you?

Question about the race:
What would you have changed about the I'rod if you could? Length/trail/cp's/number of teams and so forth...

Thanks ever so much!

Eskil,
the norwegian mod
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

PreviousNext

Return to Archive