ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (12/1-12/8)

Postby Heidi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Dee Dee, you're such an inspiration to me! I'm rooting for you to win the Iditarod, finish the Kona Ironman and realize any other dreams you may have! :D

Okay, some random questions...

1) What is your opinion of the GPS?

2) Do you have a favorite cp/village/place along the race?

3) How long were you into mushing before you finished your first Iditarod?

4) What is the "secret" to your 32-year marriage?

Thank you so much for answering so many questions here! :D :D
Heidi

Postby DeeDee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:01 am

Here goes, Friday morning attempt to answer questions -
Book- It is not done yet but I am working on it. I had better hurry up and get something finished because it keeps getting longer.
Glacier Summer Tours- I have not had the opprotunity to send dogs to work on the glacier the last several years. I have had young dogs spending the summer on the glacier 4 different years with various experiences. It is very important that I have the right handler acompaning them. The experience seems totally a function of the work load and the diligence of the person committed to them. It is really helpful for young dogs to learn how to pull which they do with the loads and conditions in the summer. They definitly get a head start developing the muscles they need and are then ahead when you transfer they into fall training. I still prefer the concept of giving my race team a block of "off" time. Then I want to start them back in the fall very gradually.
Favorite Village - This is really hard for me to say, my all time favorite has to be Unalakleet. I have spent several springs there herring fishing as well as the experiences I have had in the winter and I love everything about the people and the area. There is so much diversity avaliable in the area it is amazing. The families there;' especially Steve and Zoe Ivanoff, the Towark's, and the Johnson's have treated me so warmly. Makes me all warm just thinking about them. I also have a second home feeling about Norma and Joe Delia at Skweetna. We have been thru alot a difficult times together and I also train to visit them' I have even have taken our jet boat up from home. I love them like my very own family. Reaching Nikolai is like returning home, since I lived on the lower Kuskokwim in Bethel for 15 years.
GPS- I would prefer not see these allowed. The tracker has an interesting application giving the fans a chance to share in the excitment but I do not see how the flow of information can be contained. It seems some forces do not full understand that part of the competition is an individual's ability to make good decisions under stress using their own instincts. gps' and the like change the spirit of the race. That is my opinion.
I only ran dogs a year before running my rookie race in 1980. I do not recommend doing it that way and in fact the structure of the race today the rules would not permit it. If nothing else you can save a tremendous amount of money and time handling for a good kennel before you consider racing the Iditarod.
Secret of 32 yr. Marriage - Well first of all Mike is a wonderful person. I think we both have realized what it might be like to lose the other permanently. The serious car accident in 1996 reinforced things we knew and definitely helped each of us to experience how powerfully God answers desperate prayers. By that time Mike had already had his older (only sibling) brother died at 21 in a car accident in Anchorage after returning home safely from Vietnam. His Mom died in '87 in a small float plane crash, and I was determined that he deserved to be #1 in my life. I had at times wondered how I would feel if he ask me to part with my dogs but then when he was so badly hurt I could not even think about training the dogs it was all about trying to get him walking again and I knew I would always make that choice. On the other hand he has never ask for me to leave my passion aside and has supported me in my dreams. We have had hard times, and honestly I have matured into this deep understanding of how God intends for me to be. There was a time we almost did not make it, and I thought it would be easier to go separate ways but I was wrong. We have both given our hearts to God and agreed on the same rule book, the Bible, so there is a place to go when we do not know how to work something out. Who knows what else is ahead, but I can say one thing I have no intention of leaving Mike behind.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

Postby emwcee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:00 am

Dee Dee, I have enjoyed reading your answers so much, and I really enjoyed seeing you on the Discovery show. I love your quote, "I don't want to life safe; I'm interested in living life full. What, besides, mushing, makes your life full?

I hope that's not too personal of a question, but I'd love to hear your answer.
emwcee

Postby gregj » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 pm

DeeDee,

I'm amazed by your replies.
I see from them, what it means to spend a lot of time alone. Having time to think and understand all important things.
You have worked out (sometimes painfully) a good answer to all major problems.

It's a joy reading your posts.

A question - do you have your favourite dog in your team, did you met The Dog of Your Life already?

thank you. Good luck for the race and life.
Greg
gregj

Postby Spock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Dee Dee,

What did you think of the editing of the Discovery series? Is there anything you wish they'd done differently? Overall, how was that experience?

Thanks!
Spock

Postby Heidi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Dee Dee, my t-shirts arrived today! :shock: Wow, that was FAST!!! I really like them and Jona Van Zyle (Jon's wife) did a fantastic job on the design. :)

Do you still have scarves and wristbands for sale too?
Heidi

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for joining and spending time during your training period. I have very much enjoyed your posted responses here and your statements during the Discovery Series, you have moved into my "favorite mushers" group. I agree with your comment regarding the GPS units. Great for fans, but strong potential for misuse. You seem to indicate that that may have happened. I know "contacts" at checkpoints, could pass on valuable information, and I hope everyone continues to follow the rules. A good example of "good/bad musher decisions" based on little sleep was shown by Jeff and Lance last year. For my Question: Do you think the vets on the trail do sufficient exams at the check points and/or are they relying on the mushers to give them opinions/thooughts regarding the status of the team? This is poised because of the "lack of sleep/clouded musher judgement factor" potential later in the race. Thanks again for joining the forum and good luck this racing season.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Dee Dee: Wow. One of my favorites! And here I am stuck in Chicago, where I have been unable to access the internet till today. Unfortunately, all the interesting questions have been asked and answered. But I thank you for being part of our forum and answering questions for us rabid fans.
OH, I DO HAVE A QUESTION. When can I get my hug? I was at the 2006 ceremonial start and the race announcer said that Dee Dee would be around to hug each and every one of us. :D I'm still waiting for mine ;)
Seriously Dee Dee, I know one thing for certain. And that is that you and Melanie Gould will both someday win the Iditarod. May 2009 be the year for you!
Wishing you all the best.
Brian MGFB
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Dee Dee you have been so generous with your time and answers, thank you very much.
Loved the story of the parka, makes sense to put warm fur on inside and skin on outside to keep winds at bay. :D

Are all the Iditarod mushers such good story tellers?
We (BSSDers) get more than our fair share of mushers, explaining and sharing exciting times. We love everyone of them.

Do you have a scary time you could tell us about?

Thank you for the PUSH to get that mamagram.

Gretchen aka fladogfan
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby DeeDee » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:40 pm

The last 36 hours have been chaotic so I will try to put something you can understand together. What besides mushing makes my life full? Friends, and family. Everything I enjoy doing: running, hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, any kind of exercise even berry picking is way more fun if I can share it with a friend and do it together. I love my family and my church family and that pretty much is the total extent of my social life. For instance this morning, I watched the Army/Navy football game because my newphew is a freshman cadet at West Point. My father was career Army and my only uncle was career Navy, this game is steeped in tradition and I was excited about every single bit of it. I called Dad 4 times during the game, my uncle once, and another Alaskan neighbor whose son Grant is also a freshman at West Point . It was may more fun watching the game and sharing the plays with other friends and family that it meant something too.
The Discovery Series was a valuable experience and I am glad I had this opprotunity. I felt there were a few things that would really make it more interesting. They need a strong soundtrack to help capture the emotion of the competition. There was also alot of interviews I know that I did and I am sure the other characters did that were not included that related past experiences we had on the trail in the past. Kind of flashback kind of things.
Yes the are still scarves for sale but sorry wrist bands are now gone. Thanks for asking.
I am going to post this and will get back with a scary trail story later. Thanks for all the interest. It has been a VERY VERY hard day and I need to just be still for awhile.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

PreviousNext

Return to Archive