ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (12/1-12/8)

Postby Joao Paz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Hello DeeDee,
I'm one of your improbable fans - or maybe not.
I live Porto, Portugal, western most European country and I've never been to Alaska...
...and yet I've been following each race of yours since 2000, when I first learned about the Iditarod. It all started with an hobby, flight simulation. That lead to Alaska, Alaska to the Iditarod and all the sled dog racing world, and the Iditarod to you :)
A long story and I won't bore you with it - will just say that your whole history of life and in the Iditarod is inspiring in so many ways, and I want to thank you for that.

But every year the excitment starts to build up around this time of the year and then, when March comes, like all the other fans I'm on top of the results 24 hours a day and doing my calculations, too :)

So I just would like to wish you a Wonderful Race this year, another wonderful Race! like those many you did already, that all goes well for you - namely on the Happy River Steps and on the hard run to Unalakleet - and that this may be Your Year!. I have a great feeling about it!

Good luck, DeeDee!!!
Joao
Joao Paz, Alaskan Winds.
Joao Paz

Postby mamamia » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:19 am

Good Morning DeeDee! Thank you so much for spending a little time with us here. I watched the last episode of the Discovery series at work with a patient (I'm a nurse). They knew nothing about the Iditarod but as I explained who you were and little about the challenges you have faced I watched as the inspiration that you are took hold and lit a little spark inside this very sick person's soul. Bless you.

One of the wonderful things about your participation in the Discovery series was how clearly you showed the world that ultimately the Iditarod and the mushing lifestyle is about the dogs and your love for them. I think that for most of us here it is also, ultimately, about the dogs. What I crave the most when following the race is stories about the dogs... especally stories about lead dogs. Could you tell us a story about a special lead dog?

I love the way you write. Tell us a story... please?

Thanks again for taking time out of your busy schedule to spend a little time with us and good luck with the racing season.
mamamia

Postby Moose » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 am

Gosh, DeeDee, after reading your last update, I just want to say I hope all is well with you, the dogs, and your mushing friends.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:13 am

I agree, Moose. I hope everything is okay.

Dee Dee, I hope today goes MUCH better for you. Sending prayers, good vibes, happy thoughts to you (and your dogs) this Sunday afternoon! :)

{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}
Heidi

Postby dilli » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:11 pm

((((((Deedee))))))))
Long time, devoted stealth fan, supporter/incessant supplicator for you and yours .. and a fellow member of the BC survivor sisterhood. Whatever doesn't kill you .. etc etc

No questions .. just taking this opportunity to personally thank you for being with us and to tell you I love you with all my heart and soul.
I believe you CAN and WILL win the Irod this year.
:D
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Moose » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm

A very big Amen to that!!! :D :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 am

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!! :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby DeeDee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 am

Ok I am finally back and able to put my thoughts together. First a brief discription of what happened the last few days. Last tuesday Mike and I were doing our usual multi-tasking trying to make a trip to Anc cover a doz things in a few hours. That started with dropping the largest dog I own, Kid Rock, he is only 30 lbs less than my total wgt, off at my vet for some blood work. i was trying to unload the kennel in one hand, Kid was on the leash in my other, Mike was holding to pet dogs Mr.Migayi my pekingnese, and Bernelli his english bred yellow lab to make sure they did not get in the way. Kid spooked when the kennel fell and pulled the leash out of my hands darting out of the clinic parking lot and onto the frontage rd. I went to get him as I reached for him a car backfired on the hwy and he was totally terrified and was gone into the dark. This all happened about 60 mi from home. We could not even get a report of where he was for 2 days. This is a very busy traffic area and other than he was dragging his leash it was going to be tough to get any good reports. Tracy, my friend and vet teck from the clinc called me thursday afternoon, she had found him along side an access rd. on her way home . She was not able to catch him but we now knew where he was. I spent from then until 8 pm friday trying to settle him down and catch him. I finally use Ethel, a cute little girl currently in heat, to coax him. I had started with that approach early friday but as he started to come to me a loose neighborhood dog attacked him and he was gone for over 6 hours not to be seen by anyone. He seemed so relieved to be safely home. As I way trying to do all of this there was a massive bad accident on the icy roads right ahead of me I just barely missed being #3 in the mix. So I was really on pins and needles. Then sat. this place was a zoo. I was trying to give some holidays special things for a friend's family that's dealing with breast cancer and another family whose husband (our very good friend) died of pancreatic cancer in July. In all the comotion of having so many extra people and kids around here, the dogs were having the holiday high's. It was exhausting trying to keep everything going in the right direction, at the same time actually LISTENING to each family and trying to provide something special for them. I remember I have been particularily sensitive as I have been recovering for my cancer treatments. I wanted to know I actually mattered to someone that they really heard what I was saying. I guess that is another way my dogs filled that special place they were not distracted when I spoke to them . The listen to all my stories and whinning when I know friends and family have long since grown tired of them. Anyways, this is not that brief but I wanted to let you know why I shut down.
Today is the beginning of a new week with the Sheep Mt 150 race at the end so I need to get into it and hopefully it will be smoother. Thanks to all of you who have read my entries and I will look forward to meeting and HUGGING those I have missed in past years, at the starting line or perhaps along the way as I reach your village. You can catch up with me via my website until then. Merry Christmas to each of you. This is a wonderful time of year for me, I love the season, the snow, the lights, the music, and joining together with my friends to laugh and thank God for all He has done and is doing for all of us. As many of you have seen me wish you: MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOUR TRAILS.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

Postby Heidi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:58 am

I am so glad Kid Rock made it home safely! Wow, how terrifying - for you and him! :shock: Please give him some skritches from all of us. :)

Dee Dee, thank you SO much for taking time out of your hectic schedule to spend some time here with us. It has been a real joy reading your responses - it was like you were "one of us" for the week. As you train and get ready for the "Big Race" please remember we're all rooting for you and wishing you the absolute best.

And a very merry Christmas to you, Mike and your family (human & dogs)! :D
Heidi

Previous

Return to Archive