ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Postby Heidi » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:21 am

Welcome Dee Dee! We are looking forward to hearing your perspective on the race, mushing and your life in general. Thank you so much for taking time out of what must be a very busy schedule these days to answer our questions.

Dee Dee will be with us for a week and will answer your questions at her leisure. She has begun training for the 2009 Iditarod and will be stepping up her training in the next couple of weeks, so it is a real privilege to have her with us. Thank you, Dee Dee! :D

Dee Dee has competed in the Iditarod 26 times and has placed in the Top 5 eight times, including three 2nd place finishes, and of course she has long been a crowd favorite. Be sure to check out Dee Dee's website at http://www.deedeejonrowe.com/index.html where there is all kinds of information and some awesome pictures, including one of her and several of the other mushers who were in Discovery's Iditarod series.

Also check out the cool new short and long-sleeved t-shirts she has for sale! Really nice design by Alaskan artist Jona Van Zyle! :)

FAN FAVORITE DEE DEE JONROWE!

DEE DEE AT THE PREMIERE OF DISCOVERY CHANNEL'S 'TOUGHEST RACE ON EARTH'

PRETTY IN PINK: DEE DEE & HER DOGS!

CEREMONIAL START OF THE IDITAROD (Video)

All photos used with permission
Heidi

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (Starts 12/1)

Postby Johncn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 am

Hello,

DeeDee has contacted me and created an account - with the username "DeeDee".

She will be posting shortly. I've unlocked this thread so that she can make an initial post if she likes. I hope that is OK, but didn't want her to have problems posting if she only has a few minutes of computer time today.

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Heidi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 am

No problem, John, thanks for unlocking it. Our cable was out for a for awhile and I couldn't get on to unlock the thread.

A huge welcome to Dee Dee! :D :D
Heidi

Postby DeeDee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 am

YEA ! Thank you John I am here!!! Temp is dropping like a rock this morning. We have dipped way below zero and are already in the double digits. The snow fall over the weekend has given us beautiful trails so I can hardly wait to hook-up. Mike (my husband of 32 years), and I plan to leave the kennel on 16 dog teams around 9:30 this morning planning and run around 50 mi. I am preparing the team for the Sheep Mt. 150 the second weeked of the month. We are training 37 race dogs, 12 yearlings, and 8 old dogs. Mike and I train the race dogs, my wonderful handlers:, Ron Reed, Mary Helswig, and Jamie (got to figure out how to spell her last name) are running the yearlings and the older dogs. Since you in Unlakleet know Mary from spending time out there last winter, you will enjoy how well she is developing her survival skills here in the trees in Willow. She is the primary "old dog" trainer. First day out, Ingra (main leader) took Mary on a nice 2 mile run. They set out to do our "Puppy loop" which is a 4 mile run on a nice wooded trail . Instead Ingra did something else, Mary was on for the ride. Day two Mary, thought she needed more dogs in her team, her first run was with 4 dogs. She followed me running 5 dogs, I had 3 and off we went to find the puppy-loop. I was using this as a chance to show her how to set ice hooks, tie off a snub line to trees, make sure dogs don't chew off the neck and tug lines and how to pump, and work the sled with the dogs. I was more than able to display that with my 3 dog team. It was a successful run although we had to stop and let them rest since they are not yet in very athletic condition. :) Third run, Mary 2sd solo run with 6 dogs, Off she went HOURS later she and 6 SLOW old dogs return. Puppy loop had alittle fresh snow on it, Mike and I had used half of the loop and accessed our long traveling trail. Well Ingra thought that looked like a good idea and Mary did not see what was happening so she and the old dogs did a slow 20 mile run. Had to give them a few days rest. Saturday, Mary and her team finally had a successful puppy-loop run. :D I don't think you will be greeting Mary on the Iditarod trail soon but she may be someday. She has a great sense of humor and my old dogs are wonderful teachers. All of them are Iditarod Veterns so they do know the program !!! Ok off to get ready for the run. Talk to you later.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

Postby Di* » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:10 am

:D WOW!!! :D
Welcome DeeDee! I can hardly believe you are on our forum THANK YOU for agreeing to chat with us!

I've always loved your positive outlook on life! :) . On the recent Discovery Series your quote about being content not only in your position in the race but with all of your life in general...."I don't want a new car, a new husband" etc. was so great!

What do you attribute that contentment to?

How does that contentment affect your drive to win the Iditarod?

Would you ever tackle the Yukon Quest and Iditarod in the same year?

:) Thanks for your reply!
Di*

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 am

Hi DeeDee, I'm really glad you were able to take the time and answer some questions.

Who builds your sleds? Any new innovations sled-wise this season (that you can talk about, that is)?

How does it feel to be on a stamp?

Thanks for your time and best of luck to you and your team this coming season.

Stig Olsen/Norway
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Moose » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 am

DeeDee! Greetings from a Maine fan. We actually met, years ago, when you came to the sled dog trade show in Hiram, Maine. I enjoyed your presentation tremendously, but even more so the chance encounter and conversation we had in the grassy field as one of us was coming and the other was going! I was a fan before, but your graciousness that day--and in all you've done since--solidified my respect and admiration. (I didn't plan to gush, but I guess I just did! :D )

So, fashion questions first: Are those pink crocs on your feet in the Discovery photo? And where does your trademark pink anorak come from?

You've left the Iditarod starting chute all but three times in the last 28 years--is that right? I can imagine--but correct me if I'm wrong--that there have been times during those years when you've thought about giving it a pass. It's a huge undertaking! If so, what was the motivation that got you back out there?

I love how you're so kissy-face with your dogs. They're all beautiful, but I'm quite smitten with your Dratini and Van Zyle. Could you tell me a bit about them?

Finally, did you enjoy the Discovery coverage as much as us fans did? If so, how do we get them to do it again?!

Thanks, DeeDee. It's so nice to "chat" with you again. ;) We'll be following you and that super fast team up the trails again this coming season.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Ahhhh.....hi DeeDee,

WELCOME... :D

Tell us about your St Louis connection....please.

Do you ever come here? (st louis area)...

tsfr....

(thanks Heidi)
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby BB Backer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Dee Dee,
Welcome to our forum. We are thrilled to have you here. You are an inspiration to so many of us. :D

I was reading on your website about what makes a good lead dog. You said, “I want them to ALWAYS succeed at everything. That includes in the dog lot in all situations.” How do you go about controlling that, especially with so many dogs?

I know you mentioned struggling with upper body strength due to the breast cancer, but do you have any advantages as a female other than less weight on the sled? I imagine you make up for it with leg strength and general fitness due to your hard training with triathlons, etc.

What do you do to keep the dogs upbeat along the trail…sing, whistle?

Do you ever train or share trails and ideas with other Iditarod mushers?

When reading about your chickens, you mentioned having trouble with grizzlies over the summer. What do you do to help protect the dogs? Did you have any injuries as a result? Seems like I've heard about more bear troubles than usual this last year or is that a pretty normal occurrence?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy training schedule. We love picking your brain. :D
Here's to a successful 2009 racing season!!! :D

BB Backer
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby CynCyn37 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Weclome DeeDee!

I love the PINK!!!! I just bought my Golden, Sophie, pink gauze to wrap her stitches. She looks so cute.

I also love the fact that you are a survivor and such an optimistic and enthusiastic person.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a question today. But here goes....do you encounter any discrimination because you are a woman on the trail?

Thanks so much for being here! This is so exciting! I am more psyched than ever to follow the Iditarod since all of you have made a 'personal' connection.

Cynthia
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Next

Return to Archive