ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (Starts 12/2)

Postby lmackey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:29 am

flowerpower wrote:OMG! :o :shock: :o How incredible is this!!!! DeeDee AND Lance at the same time?! THUD! I guess I have been a good girl this year! ;)

Lance, we are honored that you are visiting! I have to agree with Mr. King, I think you are a gifted dog man!
There are probably a few dozen silly questions I would like to ask, but I know how limited your time is so I will try to limit myself:

How are Larry and Hobo getting along, and who are your promising young leaders!

Do you think Cain will run the Iditarod with you someday?

How accurate did you think the Discovery show was?

Thanks so much!
Oh, and I Love my Larry patch, too!
Candy Smith in Texas
aka Flowerpower

Larry and Hobo are doing just great, thank you. They have been running well.
Cain has talked about running the Iditarod and is training for the Jr Quest this year.
I'm not one to micro manage how the Discovery channel did, there were a few inaccurate things, and some exagerations, but for the most part it was very good.
lmackey

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (12/2-12/9)

Postby lmackey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 am

MossyOakJW wrote:Hello Lance and congratz on all of your success over the last few years. It has to feel simply amazing to be in your shoes.

Most mushers I have talked to all got started running dogs for the same reason; they feel there is nothing better than being out on a trail somwhere with just themselves and the dogs enjoying the wilderness. It seems most of them didn't even think about competetive mushing until some point far down the road. As a musher who is in that same position I wonder, is that the way you felt the first time you stepped on the runners? And at what point did you realize this was something you could do competetivley?

Thank you and best of luck this March!

Since I grew up in a racing family the competitive nature has always been there, but if there was no races to be run, I'd still be running dogs.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:41 am

deafcat wrote:Wow.

After the recent U.S. Presidential campaigns my "non-Iditarod" friends are suddenly aware of Alaska, and the Disc. Channel program has them all asking about you Lance (as if I were a close friend, just because I follow the sport a little!)

I'm too star struck to post a question or an intelligent comment... all I can say is: you are an inspiration and an amazing athlete, Mr. Mackey, and unbelievably cool that you're REAL!

I appreciate all the questions, comments and the kind words everyone has taken the time to post - thank you, I am honored. You are all terrific. Theses races wouldn't be as fun without the fans to cheer us on.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:48 am

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:Hey Lance:
Great to be able to ask you these two questions.

I was impressed by your trick at Elim! Very impressed :D And I am wondering how the befuddled Jeff reacted when he talked to you afterward? Dirt Lance, we need dirt!!
2nd, You mentioned that after your first Iditarod win, you didn't get much in the way of congratulations and resepect from many of your fellow mushers. Has that changed any after this win? Are they now convinced the first win wasn't a fluke?
Great to have you with us Lance. Thanks for answering questions from us rabid fans, and good luck with the upcoming racing season. Merry christmas too!
Brian -MGFB

Hi Brian
To answer the question: Yes, Jeff was a gentleman. We are in a race, and we are trying very hard to out fox each other. I expected a little grumble from him.

And yes...absolutely... the other mushers do seem to hold some respect for me and my dogs now. I think I earned it.
Merry Christmas to you as well
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 am

tilstede wrote:Hi, another curious norwegian calling :-)

As many others in this forum I follow Iditarod closely, and even take some days off from work to enjoy news from the trail 24/7. After a week, I'm quite exhausted and fight to stay tuned all the way to Nome. What impressed me a lot last year, when watching video clips with you from Bering Street CPs, was your endless stream of word, commenting and analyzing the race.

A question - mushing seems to imply a lot of counting and planning. When on your way to Nome, do you do a lot of calculations (miles left till next CP, length of breaks, hours before dawn etc.), or do such things automatically fall into place based on experience?

Yes, math plays a big part in racing, scheduling, feeding absolutely..I've done it so much I guess it does come natural. See my teachers were right I would use my math, good thing I studied.
lmackey

Postby tilstede » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:49 am

Oh, I forgot to ask about one thing ... related to your double wins.

Norwegian cross country skiers, among others, spend a lot of time training at high altitudes. (Some of them even build a high altitude sleeping chamber back home... which I find too artificial and a method I don't consider to be fair play).

The first year you won the double (2007), on the way to Nome many doubted that it was possible to win both in one season. After the 2008 double win, a natural thought will be if it's possible to win the Iditarod without participating in the YQ first. So - the trail in Yukon Quest ... is there a lot of high altitude stretches? If so, it could be one factor that indicates that doing YQ as preparation for Iditarod is a smart move.
tilstede

Postby fladogfan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 pm

LANCE thank you thank you for visiting with us and answering so many questions. Everyone who has talked about you or met you say what a nice person you are. Most of my questions have been answered, a, lot I didn't even think about. This is quite a knowledgable forum, they are full of info about a vast varitey of topics pertaining to dog sled racing.

I notice a lot of famous names signed up for the Quest!! :lol: :lol: :lol: GOLANCEGO

Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, winning New Year to you and yours :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby dilli » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Lance aka Shatters ( his own historic world records ..my private nickname for you and the furkids after you double doubled bagging The Impossible Dream last year .. yeeeaaahhh 8-)

Enough sucking up to a top 10 genuine hero and inspiration of mine. You're a busy man, so will get right to it. Question re: The 2009 Yukon Quest ..

Been keeping a hawk eye on the SDC forum when I have time .. under the Racing> Susan Rogan thread, members (including Ken A) are discussing a rather disturbing NASTY Yukon River jumble ice situation that has developed on the Yukon between Eagle /Circle, mostly on the Alaska side of the trail, I think .. not sure. JS and trail breaker crew are looking into better alternative trails, if possible.

This isn't the first or last time you've faced a pre-race or in-progress race head's up about deteriorating trail conditions and last minute altered trail routes. Can you and do you prepare yourself, your support crew and your faithful soft-tails for last minute/ sudden trail changes or do you just fly by inner wisdom, experience and the seat of your pants?

Thanks, Happy Holidays to you and yours .. congrats, Gramps... Go Lance Go! 8-)
We've got treats
dilli

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 pm

fladogfan wrote: ...GOLANCEGO...
:D

Hey FDF...you forgot the ®... ;) ...but then again you KNOW I kid... :D

Lance...thank you for your time...I hope you and Tonga enjoyed sharing with our small but loyal following. Please know you your tenacity and your dedication to this sport are an inspiration to anyone who care to pay attention. You have proven to the BEST that Long Distance SledDog racing is a meld of Art and Science.

If my destiny ever places me near you (and in a situation that allows it) you and I shall "Hoist one together" and salute the sport at which you, my friend, have mastered...

The next "Mackey" that races his/her sixth Iditarod wearing numbers 13 will have some big snowshoes to fill...please stay as long as you like....and have Tonga join too so she can update us.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Again warmest wishes to you, Tonga the kids/grandkids and the team.

GoLanceGo®

daniel...tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby lmackey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:56 am

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:Lance...

A "ThreePeat"?!?... 8-) ...who is the ONE musher that could keep you from this unheard of feat?

tsfr...daniel

I'll do my best!
lmackey

PreviousNext

Return to Archive