ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (12/2-12/9)

Postby lmackey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 pm

tilstede wrote:Oh, I forgot to ask about one thing ... related to your double wins.

Norwegian cross country skiers, among others, spend a lot of time training at high altitudes. (Some of them even build a high altitude sleeping chamber back home... which I find too artificial and a method I don't consider to be fair play).

The first year you won the double (2007), on the way to Nome many doubted that it was possible to win both in one season. After the 2008 double win, a natural thought will be if it's possible to win the Iditarod without participating in the YQ first. So - the trail in Yukon Quest ... is there a lot of high altitude stretches? If so, it could be one factor that indicates that doing YQ as preparation for Iditarod is a smart move.

There are some parts of the Quest trail that are at an elevation of 3,000 ft or so but I am not there long enough for it to make a difference or give me an "edge" Good question : )
lmackey

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (ends 12/9)

Postby sarida » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Howdy Folks,

Well, this is incredible! Thanks for hanging out with us, Lance. It a thrill to have you here.

First, congradulations on the new grandbaby. The Mackey Mushing Dynasty continues......

Second, thanks so much for signing my Larry patch card at the Volunteer picnic last summer. Its a real treasure of mine.

Everybody knows what a BIG LARRY FAN I am and I have a few questions about him. Larry is a working dog and a real professional, but what does he like to do for fun? What's his favorite food? Does he like to hang out with the human family? Does he come inside the big house ever? What does he think of the little dogs? What's your favorite Larry story? Can I meet him in March when I'm in Anchorage?

In 2007 I read something about a dog named Molson who was bucking for Zorro's position in the dog yard. I don't recall him being on any of your winning teams and didn't hear any more about him until the All Alaska Sweepstakes. Then he turns up on Seavey's winning team. Do you keep up with dogs that have gone to other kennels, follow their successes?

How is Zorro doing now that he's returned to his house in the dog yard? How many Zorro patches do you want for family and handlers?

Thanks for being part of our forum and best of luck this racing season. I look forward to following Team Mackey in 2009

Southpaw Sarida
Sarida the Snowless
sarida

Postby Breeze » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I'll echo our Daniel and holler

GoLanceGo!

It has been a treat and a thrill to watch you shatter expectations and advance your kennel and dog training beyond what has been conventional wisdom. Jeff has done his stuff, you've done your stuff, and you are both out there at the cutting edge.

Did you ever have any trepidation ( 2 years ago) that the YQ and the Iditarod back to back WOULDN"T be a good thing for the team? Or was it a :idea: moment that just got you to thinking it made good sense in your kennel and with your line to train UP to the long distance, get the dogs UP on that step, and keep them there.. doing what they do best and most love....knowing you were making a leap and having to be on top of it?

Breeze

Maine USA
Breeze

Postby Di* » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:21 pm

8-) Hey Lance!
I just have to say I admire your hard work ethic, we've seen evidence of it here on the forum! Even though you had that race last weekend you still managed to faithfully answer all our questions!

You are AWESOME! It's not chance, it's LANCE! 8-)

How was the Two Rivers Tune-Up?

After your sled got hit last year you said you were going to "light up your sled like a Christmas Tree" to try and prevent that happening again....So what have you added to your sled?

Also are you aware of any extra precautions the ITC is planning to maybe avoid these types of accidents in the future?

Thanks so much for your time here Lance, we are truly honored that you gave us a whole week of your busy schedule, I don't think many of us here fully realize just how full your days are! Take care and listen closely I'll be cheering you on from my computer screen all season! :D 8-)
Di*

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (Starts 12/2)

Postby lmackey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:07 am

MotorWerk wrote:Hi Lance, welcome to our group.

How are the preparations to this season coming along? Do you feel you are on schedule?
Obviously you are the man to beat this coming March - who do you see as your main competition?

Thanks a lot for your time and the best of luck to you and your team.

Stig Olsen/Norway

My training is doing great, could use a little more snow, but no complaints. Life is good!

There are a number of competitors in the field that I keep an eye on and they keep an eye on me. Part of the strategy is to keep that "list" under our hats.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:19 am

Di* wrote:8-) Hey Lance!
I just have to say I admire your hard work ethic, we've seen evidence of it here on the forum! Even though you had that race last weekend you still managed to faithfully answer all our questions!

You are AWESOME! It's not chance, it's LANCE! 8-)

How was the Two Rivers Tune-Up?

After your sled got hit last year you said you were going to "light up your sled like a Christmas Tree" to try and prevent that happening again....So what have you added to your sled?

Also are you aware of any extra precautions the ITC is planning to maybe avoid these types of accidents in the future?

Thanks so much for your time here Lance, we are truly honored that you gave us a whole week of your busy schedule, I don't think many of us here fully realize just how full your days are! Take care and listen closely I'll be cheering you on from my computer screen all season! :D 8-)

The Two Rivers was fun, we ran a young "up & coming" bunch of dogs to see what potential they had, I'd say they all did great. It was good to get out and race.
I'm still thinking about the sled & the awareness of snow machines on the trail, Nothing solid yet. But I keep my sight on what's happening around me.

I don't know of any Iditarod precautions. But I am working with a group called Alaska Trails ( http://www.alaska-trails.org/index.htm) to bring awareness to this problem. There will be some public announcements airing soon on TV & hopefully radio to remind people to be careful on the trails. We have also set up a fund to patrol the area around Nome during the Iditarod, it's a small step but hopefully this project will snowball to other communities & other clubs so this kind of tragedy can be a thing of the past.

Thank you for asking about this. It is important to get involved and prevent this ever happening again.
lmackey

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (Starts 12/2)

Postby lmackey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 am

Di* wrote::D WOW :D
8-) LANCE MACKEY!!!!!!!!! :D
How cool is that?! Thanks so much Lance for being on our forum! You've made a lot of armchair mushers real happy! :D

I lost my mom to cancer in '01 so when you fought back from that and started racing again that really got my attention. I couldn't imagine how you could come back from such a physical ordeal and rise to the top totally reinventing the way people look at race strategy! Did your dogs teach you or did you get some divine inspiration on how to do this? :)

I just finished watching the ITC's "Deja Vu" '08 race coverage and Jeff King's last line sticks with me "he(Lance) is to dog mushing what mozart is to music...he's gifted. It's hard not to be also in awe of his gift." It had to feel great to hear that from Jeff :D Is there anything left to prove for you? Are you content with your race strategy or is that always evolving & changing?

:) Thanks for your reply!

I am deeply sorry about your mom loosing her battle with cancer.

As for your questions: Nothing to prove. Content & always evolving!
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:45 am

sarida wrote:Howdy Folks,

Well, this is incredible! Thanks for hanging out with us, Lance. It a thrill to have you here.

First, congradulations on the new grandbaby. The Mackey Mushing Dynasty continues......

Second, thanks so much for signing my Larry patch card at the Volunteer picnic last summer. Its a real treasure of mine.

Everybody knows what a BIG LARRY FAN I am and I have a few questions about him. Larry is a working dog and a real professional, but what does he like to do for fun? What's his favorite food? Does he like to hang out with the human family? Does he come inside the big house ever? What does he think of the little dogs? What's your favorite Larry story? Can I meet him in March when I'm in Anchorage?

In 2007 I read something about a dog named Molson who was bucking for Zorro's position in the dog yard. I don't recall him being on any of your winning teams and didn't hear any more about him until the All Alaska Sweepstakes. Then he turns up on Seavey's winning team. Do you keep up with dogs that have gone to other kennels, follow their successes?

How is Zorro doing now that he's returned to his house in the dog yard? How many Zorro patches do you want for family and handlers?

Thanks for being part of our forum and best of luck this racing season. I look forward to following Team Mackey in 2009

Southpaw Sarida

Hi Sarida
For those who don't know her, Sarida designed my "Larry" & "Zorro" patches. She's very talented and has graciously donated the profits to the Mackey Kennel.
She is one of those "behind the scenes" volunteers who works very hard helping us get to the races. (thank you Sarida)

What a load of questions, do you have reporter blood in you? I will try and answer as many as I can , but I need to get some sleep for training tomorrow.
Larry likes to race, he doesn't like to train very much, I think he thinks it's boring, but he LOVES to race. Is that a type A dog?? His favorite food, fish, beef, beaver and it goes without saying --- Redpaw. He comes in the house occasionally but he's like Hobo & Zorro, he prefers to hang out in the kennel.

I do keep tabs on most of the dogs I have sent to other kennels as best I can, it's like watching kids grow up and leave home. It's tough.

Zorro is doing good, he sure perks up when we hook up a team, it's hard to look at him, I know in his heart he wants to run, his back legs just won't let him.
I think he is getting used to retirement as long as he can be outside with the kennel he's a happy sled dog.

Patches: I'll take as many patches as you can spare (we have 2 handlers, Cain, Tonya and me) maybe 6-10?
lmackey

Postby Heidi » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am

Thank you SO much, Lance, for taking time out of your hectic schedule for us fans. We appreciate it more than you know. You're well-loved here and to have you be "one of us" for the week has been a real treat. :D

We wish you all the best in the upcoming racing season and can't wait to see what's in store for you... a THREE-PEAT?! :mrgreen:

And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family. And lots of skritches for your dogs! :)
Heidi

Previous

Return to Archive