ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (12/2-12/9)

Postby pcorsetti » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello Lance -

I once had a retired dog of your father's - Coalville. Do you remember him? A medium-large, all black leader with floppy ears... Any of his line still around in your team?

I used to live near Nenana but now am working for BSSD here in Unalakleet. It is always fun to see you coming down the river to the coast here.

Perry Corsetti
pcorsetti

Skype ID: pcorsetti

Postby NC2AK » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi Lance-
What a blessing to have you join the forum. My husband and I came out to your place in August...and then ran into you the next day at the airport. Just wanted to follow-up and let you know my sister was VERY impressed I brought her the "Zorro Fur"......she was only allowed to see it.......I did not let her keep it.....I am too much of a fan to share:-) I have the fur/hair with the 2009 Mushing calendar you autographed for us (the cover picture of you is one of my favorites. Zorro looked so proud when we saw him in the dog yard.....the KING in the first house. We still laugh abut Zorro "watering" Randy's shoe hahahah. You did a super job nursing Zorro back to health after the tragic accident. The fact he is able to walk is still amazing.

As you know both my husband and I have faced cancer and radiation treatments (me)....God does have a way of showing us life is short ...we need to be sure and treasure each day and remember play and pray hard. Never dreamed I would get to meet you and did.......Your kindness and hospitality was sincerely appreciated.

How is your new grandson....the picture on your Web site is so precious. Also, loved the pictures of the meat being unloading!! That was amazing amount of meat!

No Need to aks about how you will do this year.....I am confident you will do only the very best....it would be great to see a 3 peat....but the important thing is for you and your dog to be happy and healthy. Wishing you a blessed Christmas and a great seaon this year!! We will be praying for you as you prepare for the season and during each of your races.......so, if/when you hit a low spot on the trail.....just remember prayers from North Carolina are coming your way.

Kind regards-
Alice
NC2AK

Postby finnmarkToday » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi Lance and thanks for giving time to us at this forum.

Doing the IR more than once is there one year you think of as special
And why is that run special
You never run out of things that can go wrong
finnmarkToday

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 am

klmobile wrote:Lance!!
Thanks for doing something many people including me thought would never happen.
And then to do it again in 2008 was awesome 8-)
I have an autographed picture of you hanging in my office at work.
It came out of the Iditarod calender from 2008.
I love when people ask me about it because I get to share your inspiring story.
I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked Dee Dee.

What is your favorite Race besides the Iditarod?

How has the Internet effected "The Race" for you?

Thanks again for joining us here!!
Kevin

Thank you, I am honored.
I actually like all the races...they all have their "charm" so to speak. I look forward to seeing the repeat volunteers, my host families, the perennial mushers that share the same passions, it's hard to pin one, I suppose if I had to choose, the Quest would be my other great race...
The internet doesn't really effect me other than I am aware that many more people are watching the races these days. I think it's great.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 am

tanglefoot wrote:hi lance, thanks so much for joining us!

i wear my larry patch with pride ! i was so pleased when you won the double, i always reconed it could be done, im glad your the man who did! and to do the double double...wow! that showed them that it wasnt a fluke and it could be done.

you sent my friend wayne a signed bootie this year ( we both mush and race dogs in england - UK - im the matt on your site mentioned in the international patch orders advert. ) i can say wayne is stoked to bits and it joins him on the trail when he races as a good luck charm...working so far for him! hes having a good season. hes not on here yet so i would like to pass on his thanks and hellos to you for him and amanda his wife.

so...

when you pulled the old school trick on jeff, did you allow yourself a chuckle when you realised you had got away with it?

i love the way you have with your dogs and your spirit, i know as mushers we try not to have a favourite dog, but do you have one dog in all your years of mushing that sticks out as a stand out dog or a favourite dog?

ive got loads more questions but will save some for later.

p.s. any plans to come to the UK? i know its had to get away from the dogs and chores but you'd be made more than welcome!

I remember your friend Wayne, how is his health? He had a mass in his abdomen didn't he? So one of my booties is a good luck charm...how cool.
Tell Wayne and Amanda I said hello and good luck this season.

Okay, I did get a chuckle when I snuck away from Jeff, as he would have chuckled if it was him sneaking out on me, it was a good move, but I knew he still could catch me, it made for a good race ..that's for sure, he is one heck of a dog musher.

Favorite dog? Not one but a few stand out, Hobo, Larry, Zorro, Lippy, Handsome, Rev, Dred...okay I'll stop at that but I am seeing some new up and coming stars that we will all get to know soon.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 am

NC2AK wrote:Hi Lance-
What a blessing to have you join the forum. My husband and I came out to your place in August...and then ran into you the next day at the airport. Just wanted to follow-up and let you know my sister was VERY impressed I brought her the "Zorro Fur"......she was only allowed to see it.......I did not let her keep it.....I am too much of a fan to share:-) I have the fur/hair with the 2009 Mushing calendar you autographed for us (the cover picture of you is one of my favorites. Zorro looked so proud when we saw him in the dog yard.....the KING in the first house. We still laugh abut Zorro "watering" Randy's shoe hahahah. You did a super job nursing Zorro back to health after the tragic accident. The fact he is able to walk is still amazing.

As you know both my husband and I have faced cancer and radiation treatments (me)....God does have a way of showing us life is short ...we need to be sure and treasure each day and remember play and pray hard. Never dreamed I would get to meet you and did.......Your kindness and hospitality was sincerely appreciated.

How is your new grandson....the picture on your Web site is so precious. Also, loved the pictures of the meat being unloading!! That was amazing amount of meat!

No Need to aks about how you will do this year.....I am confident you will do only the very best....it would be great to see a 3 peat....but the important thing is for you and your dog to be happy and healthy. Wishing you a blessed Christmas and a great seaon this year!! We will be praying for you as you prepare for the season and during each of your races.......so, if/when you hit a low spot on the trail.....just remember prayers from North Carolina are coming your way.

Kind regards-
Alice

Thank you Alice, you both are amazing folks, I enjoyed our visit. Hang on to that fur.
....and a note: I did my annual check up and am happy to report all is well , no cancer.
Thanks for your prayers.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:20 am

finnmarkToday wrote:Hi Lance and thanks for giving time to us at this forum.

Doing the IR more than once is there one year you think of as special
And why is that run special

Winning the Iditarod for the first time is like no other feeling, I suppose it showed at the finish line. I worked hard for that win and dreamed for many years for that moment. Proof dreams do come true. It was a very sweet moment for me, the dogs and my family.

I will never forget that I could not have done it without so many folks help and wonderful sponsors.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 am

pcorsetti wrote:Hello Lance -

I once had a retired dog of your father's - Coalville. Do you remember him? A medium-large, all black leader with floppy ears... Any of his line still around in your team?

I used to live near Nenana but now am working for BSSD here in Unalakleet. It is always fun to see you coming down the river to the coast here.

Perry Corsetti

No kidding? Coalville...I'll have to tell my dad.
I do still have my dad's line in my kennel and in my main team, they are awesome dogs, still proving to the mushing world that the old way is not necessarily gone. I still use a lot of gear my dad used.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 am

jsk wrote:Lance, HI from Forrest's mom!

I was at the ceremonial start and start with Forrest and Ken/Gwen last March, but I didn't get a chance to meet you because you were so mobbed by reporters! I met Tonya very briefly.

Are you going to race Ken again in the Quest this year? :D That was a trip!

--Janet Kieffer

If Ken's up to it , I'm up to it. He gave me a run didn't he.
lmackey

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:43 am

waynes doing good lance, i ve sent him the links to join here. we are both racing this weekend in sherwood england, in the forest where robin hood lived!!! in fact its called the robin hood sled dog race.

i think waynes framed one bootie and the other comes out on the trails with him. so you can say part of your kennels has mushed in the uk haha.

so pleased to hear the news your all clear again with the check ups!!!

as im sat typing with a puppy curled up on my lap, are the blood lines in the teams still your dads old black lab x husky lines? i love the fact you use some of the old techniques and some fo your dads old gear too. what do they say if it anint broke, dont fix it!

i heard george attla say that the old ways are becoming forgotten and mushers should still hold store by some of them, it would make better dogs out of todays dogs, obviously works by your wins!

anymore news on the wife swop program that tanyas doing?

is cain running junior iditarod this year or is he too old now? will he run full iditarod one day soon?

matt
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Archive