ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (Starts 12/2)

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 pm

CynCyn37 wrote:Welcome Lance!

I was amazed at how you kept your cool and composure when Zorro was injured. You showed what we all strive for each and every day.

What keeps you racing when you are so successful? Are you going to use the same dogs for both the Quest and the Iditarod or will you switch them out?

Thanks so much for joining us here. You have found the best group ever! Everyone is so kind, supportive, and friendly here, that I feel like it is a second home!

Cynthia

Believe me I was a wreck inside when I realized just how bad Zorro was injured. I am thankful everyday for the good vets down in Washington. They did miracles on him.
What keeps me racing? It's my job, a job I just happen to really love. How many people can say they love going to work? I have used many of the same dogs in the Quest as the Iditarod in the past, but I won't know until the season progresses what will happen. But most likely a handful will do both.
lmackey

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (Starts 12/2)

Postby lmackey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 pm

flowerpower wrote:OMG! :o :shock: :o How incredible is this!!!! DeeDee AND Lance at the same time?! THUD! I guess I have been a good girl this year! ;)

Lance, we are honored that you are visiting! I have to agree with Mr. King, I think you are a gifted dog man!
There are probably a few dozen silly questions I would like to ask, but I know how limited your time is so I will try to limit myself:

How are Larry and Hobo getting along, and who are your promising young leaders!

Do you think Cain will run the Iditarod with you someday?

How accurate did you think the Discovery show was?

Thanks so much!
Oh, and I Love my Larry patch, too!
Candy Smith in Texas
aka Flowerpower

Hi Candy
Larry and Hobo are doing just fine. Who are my up and coming dogs? Lippy of course, Dred, Maple (maybe - she's a spaze), Amp, Big Dog, two tone ...and more will show themselves as the season progresses
lmackey

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 9: Lance Mackey (12/2-12/9)

Postby Moose » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:29 am

Hi from the East Coast, Lance! It is so very cool to have you here. Mine's a small rec kennel of five dogs with huge hearts and good heads--well, four of them have good heads anyway. :D But we have a great time. I stepped on the runners for the first time at 48! While I sure wish I'd come to sled dogs earlier, I''m awfully glad to have come at all! And it's folks like you and DeeDee who keep me and my little team dreaming big. Thanks for that.

Lots of questions and lots of answers here, most of mine already covered. So could you just run us through a typical training day at the Comeback Kennel? Oh, and when you've got the time, walk through that kennel and give every furry head some skritches from me. :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Spock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Lance,

What did you think of the editing of the Discovery series? Is there anything you wish they'd done differently? Overall, how was that experience?

Thanks!
Spock

Postby Heidi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks, Lance, for taking the time to join us here. It's really appreciated by all of us armchair mushers. :D I have really enjoyed following your career, and your back-to-back "Iditaquests" were awesome to witness, even if it was only through electronic means. (Gotta love the internet! :D)

Okay I guess I have a few questions too...

1) What is your opinion of the GPS?

2) Do you have a favorite cp/village/place along the the Iditarod Trail?

3) Is Wife Swap off the table for now.. or permanently?

Best of luck in your upcoming races; I can't wait to see what 2009 brings! :D :D
Heidi

Postby lmackey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:26 am

Spock wrote:Hi Lance,

What did you think of the editing of the Discovery series? Is there anything you wish they'd done differently? Overall, how was that experience?

Thanks!

I thought they did a great job. Thy covered some incredibly difficult logistics to get what they got. I was impressed, and saddened that they decided NOT to do it again. I guess they just didn't get the viewers they had expected.
lmackey

Postby lmackey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am

Heidi wrote:What is your opinion of the GPS?

I think the GPS is great, it gives the race a bit more excitement.

Do you have a favorite cp/village/place along the the Iditarod Trail?

No, I really look forward to all the checkpoints and villages along the trail. The people are awesome and for real out there. They are always cheering me on (which at times is more uplifting than they will ever realize) and I look forward to seeing so many friends I know along the trail each year.

Is Wife Swap off the table for now.. or permanently?

It's still in the talk process.
lmackey

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:22 am

First: congrats on your win.
I got interested in the race when South Carolina vet turned musher Sonny King did a school presentation after his race a number of years ago. Being from SC produced the Forum user name. I continue to be amazed at the openess of most of the mushers, like Nascar drivers, always ready to stop and communicate with the fans. Thanks for stopping in here to give us a chance to get more insight into the race. During the Discovery show, you seemed to express the love for your dogs and mushing very well. I know you say it's your job and something you enjoy, but what would be your alternate career choice?
Being in the lead as much as you were last race, do you ever hear the Trail Breakers? (If you have time, you should read the thread re them..you will see that we find ways to keep up forum interest during the race when there are no updates!!) What do you do to break the monotony of hours on the trail? Thanks again for dropping the hook and chatting.
Last edited by sc-race-fan on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby MossyOakJW » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:41 am

Hello Lance and congratz on all of your success over the last few years. It has to feel simply amazing to be in your shoes.

Most mushers I have talked to all got started running dogs for the same reason; they feel there is nothing better than being out on a trail somwhere with just themselves and the dogs enjoying the wilderness. It seems most of them didn't even think about competetive mushing until some point far down the road. As a musher who is in that same position I wonder, is that the way you felt the first time you stepped on the runners? And at what point did you realize this was something you could do competetivley?

Thank you and best of luck this March!
MossyOakJW

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Hey Lance:
Great to be able to ask you these two questions.
I was impressed by your trick at Elim! Very impressed :D And I am wondering how the befuddled Jeff reacted when he talked to you afterward? Dirt Lance, we need dirt!!
2nd, You mentioned that after your first Iditarod win, you didn't get much in the way of congratulations and resepect from many of your fellow mushers. Has that changed any after this win? Are they now convinced the first win wasn't a fluke?
Great to have you with us Lance. Thanks for answering questions from us rabid fans, and good luck with the upcoming racing season. Merry christmas too!
Brian -MGFB
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

PreviousNext

Return to Archive