ASK THE MUSHER Vol. 11: Ed Iten

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol. 11: Ed Iten

Postby Di* » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi Ed & Ruth, this is Di(Diana), the MN mod!

All I can say is, WoW Ed! :shock: It sounds kinda romantic to live off the land, far removed from civilization's curse but now I know the reality of that lifestyle isn't always that romantic! Sounds like a lot of hard work with those other things as an added bonus! After I read about you traveling in bad weather conditions etc. the thought crossed my mind, the Iditarod has to almost be a vacation for him! :) You are one tough cookie! ;) :)

We are currently paying off an $18700 bill from our last medivac. Blue cross considers it an ambulance service and only covers $500 of it.

:shock: :shock: :o I will never again complain about my medical bills!

Please know that you have a lot of fans here that will be cheerly loudly for you as you race! I hope there are many happy trails in store for you and your wonderful family Ed. I would love to read about your experiences(and Ruths) in book form(like the fox story!)even though they may seem everyday to you, they offer a wonderful and refreshing perspective for us :)
Di*

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:40 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS ED! HAPPY NEW YEAR! GOOD LUCK IN IDITAROD 2009 :D
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 am

I think Ed has covered everything and answered everyone. It's not real easy for them to get online, so their time here was really appreciated! They have to fire up the generator to get online, and when they do get online they can suddenly lose their connection. They had trouble getting through to me by phone too.

Despite that, I did have the pleasure of speaking to Ruth earlier in the week and Ed later in the week. What an awesome couple - such nice people! Even with advances in technology, I still found it wild to think I was sitting in my home in SE Texas and talking to someone who was "at camp" 26 miles outside of Kotzebue! :shock:

When I spoke with Ed, he was just putting the finishing touches on a sauna. That should be a welcome relief at the end of a long day!! :D He seemed a little surprised at the interest in him and their "lifestyle", and he was certainly delighted by us fans. :) I explained our little corner of the internet to him, and he laughed when I told him where all the mods were located ("Wow, isn't that something"). I encouraged him to think about writing a book (where's Joe Runyan?!). Perhaps a little book money would take some of the pressure off him at the Iditarod. :)

To Ed & Ruth, thank you so much for participating - it was a real joy getting to know you a little better. Thanks for taking time out of your VERY busy schedule for us. We wish you and your family all the best in 2009.

And Ed.. If out on the race, in the still of the night, you think you hear people hootin' and hollerin' from afar - that's us, cheering you on. :)
Heidi

Previous

Return to Archive