ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King (12/15 thru 12/21)

Postby Spock » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 am

It really speaks well of you (and the other mushers as well) that you've all taken time out from busy schedules for your cyber-fans. Thank you!

My questions...

1. Do you think there should be mandatory drug testing of all mushers before/during the Iditarod?

2. Are you happy with the way the Iditarod is run now (rules, # of teams, etc) and is there anything you'd like to see changed?

3. What is your favorite memory in racing (any race)?

4. Do you have an all-time favorite dog? If so, why is he/she it?

Thanks Jeff.
Spock

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 am

Howdy Jeff from Illinois (where our governors make our license plates :( )

A HUGE thanks for taking time to join the most dedicated, loyal group of Iditarodahilics you will ever find.
Your 2006 Tee shirt is among my most sacred of possessions.

I can only guess that your words at Elim last year were close to "*^%#%#@^&$@...*^%#%$@....*&^#$...&^$#^LANCE!!!&^$%$@#$@!^%#$....!!!!!!!!"...
I appreciate that you seem to have no animosity for Lance and his JeffFoolery. In our "Top Ten Picks" contest I had Lance in 1 and You in 2 so I will admit, I kinda snickered. Still ciphering my "Top Ten 2009" but I assure you you will be seriously considered for #1.

What (sans required and typical items) items that may seem out of the ordinary are ALWAYS in your sledbag...any good luck Mojo's...comfort items...sentimental trinkets?

What do you feel is the FASTEST number of dogs in harness over say 30-50 miles?

Thanks for the enjoyment you give us all following you. I hope to shake your hand in 2010. I WILL be there, come heck or high water.

Peace, Kindest of regards and SnowDogsGo!

daniel...aka ThisSpaceForRent
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby mamamia » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:35 am

Hi Jeff and thanks for spending this time with us.

During the 2006 race I became totally enamored with Salem. He seems to embody everything a lead dog should be and more. Do I remember correctly that that was the year your team got away from you during the portage from Kaltag to Unalakleet and Salem stopped the team? How is Salem doing?

Who will be your lead dog this year and what makes him/her so special?
mamamia

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King (starts 12/15)

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:34 am

tanglefoot wrote:wow! awesome to have you jeff!

thanks so much for giving us your time to chat and answer questions!

so, do you still have the altitude barn for the dogs to sleep in? and do you think it has given you an advantage on the trail?

i was so amazed and was whoooping you on when you got your 16 dogs to white mountain did you expect them to get that far still loping along as a 16 dog unit or did you expect to have dropped a few by then. did you train any differently than other years to do this or was it just lady luck and great dog care and training that got your 16 there. i was so hoping you could make it to nome with a full 16 in first or second place and show that you can get a top ten team to nome with a full string! do you think you might be able to repeat it this year?

once again many thanks jeff!

best wishes - matt

Yes, I do have the dogs in the altitude barn. They sleep at an equivalent of 9,000 feet and are in there at about 8-10 hours at a time. With the help of canine physiologist Arlie Reynolds, we were able to see on paper a definite advantage in things like red cell, pac cell, lactic acid reduction ~ stuff like that. But I don't think I've won a race since I had it, so it's clearly not a runaway must-have. Lucky for you cause it's 50 grand worth of equipment. It is very fun though, I like to sleep out there as well. I sleep sound, and wake up feeling great. Don't try to light a candle though, 'cause it don't work.
I do think the winner of the Iditarod can get there with all 16 dogs someday. Lady luck, dog care and training ~ you're right on the mark. The All-Alaska Sweepstakes "no dog drop" format was on my mind throughout the Iditarod, and did influence the way I drove the dogs. It's an influence I liked very much, and I expect to "focus" on this task.
Jeff King

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King (starts 12/15)

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 am

SuldalsXpressen wrote:Good evening, Jeff!
How great that you've set aside time to answer our questions!

1. I admire that you always put the team first, and do not fall for the temptation to push it too hard. Now, have you ever thought to yourself "-heck, if I had just pushed them a bit more along the coast I would have totally won this..." and known in retrospect that they would've managed the extra push? Or are you always just on the right side of the edge?

2.Do you wish there was a 2000mile race? Would you have tried a Anchorage-Nome-Anchorage race?

3.Who do you consider your hardest opponents in the I'rod 09?

Warm thanks from a norwegian fan!

Eskil

Guten Morgen! Of course I've thought "heck, couldn't I have pushed a little longer?", been there, done that. I had a talk with the dog god a few years ago and swore on his altar I would never ever over run my dogs. If I win again, they'll be loping down the street into Nome.
Question 2 - Are you out of your freakin' mind???
3 - Just scan the stats, the same names keep poppin' up - and I don't see 'em going anywhere soon.
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:38 am

fladogfan wrote:Hi Jeff, You are always on my Top Ten List. Hope you get #5 soon and go on to grab that #6.

I felt it in my gut for you when Lance pulled his trick. Because I've over slept too, missed things important, and was very angry with myself. Glad you were able to get past the bad feelings so quickly.

It's a pleasure watching your team run. Do you think it's possible to win the Iditarod with all 16 dogs? You sure looked like you could pull it off last race.

Thanks for stopping here with us.

fdf/ Gretchen

Thanks for the kudos! See previous question/answer...
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 am

MossyOakJW wrote:Hello Jeff, Awesome that you would take the time to come talk to us all. Much appreciated.

You were the first musher that I became a true fan of back when I first fell in love with the sport. The way you started was so similar to the way I did/am, a man in the construction business doing everything he can on the side to support his love of dogsledding. I just had to pull for that.

So my question to you is, having started basically from scratch in this sport, what did you find was the most difficult part of establishing that first stable and competetive dog team?

Thank you, and best of luck on getting number 5 in March.

Finding the right woman to marry me. (I'm not joking.)
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

flowerpower wrote:Christmas has come early! :D :D I am honored and star struck to have so many awesome mushers joining us!
I can't even think of any profound questions to ask!
But, on the not so profound level-

Is there anything you take along that is a "must have" for you?
and
Are any of your girls planning/hoping/dreaming of running with you someday?

Oh, and I LOVED the book! It would be great for us fans if you would do another someday!

Candy in Texas
aka Flowerpower

Candy in Texas? Flowerpower and a beagle?? I've gotta meet you someday! Good question too. A couple must-haves for me on the trail are my custom-fit earphones so that I can lay on my head comfortably without taking them out; my super-insulated thermos with a straw is a must-have, as well as a bottle of ibuprofen. Glad you liked the book!
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 am

braider wrote:Last year, while broadcasting their small blip about the Iditarod, a Minneapolis TV station said that you got your start dog sledding in the parks of Minneapolis - Theodore Wirth Park. I believe they said that your Father, at the time, was a student at the UofM - I was amused. :) Care to comment? How old might you of been at that time? ...Dave - a former employee of the city of Minneapolis - Dept. of Planning and Design.

Yes, my father graduated from St. Thomas University in MN, and then got his doctorate from U of M. I got my first dog-sled ride in a city park somewhere near Wade Park, in northeast Minneapolis. Go figure?
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 am

Spock wrote:It really speaks well of you (and the other mushers as well) that you've all taken time out from busy schedules for your cyber-fans. Thank you!

My questions...

1. Do you think there should be mandatory drug testing of all mushers before/during the Iditarod?

2. Are you happy with the way the Iditarod is run now (rules, # of teams, etc) and is there anything you'd like to see changed?

3. What is your favorite memory in racing (any race)?

4. Do you have an all-time favorite dog? If so, why is he/she it?

Thanks Jeff.

1. This isn't a big deal to me. I am unaware of any drug abuse that occurs by mushers during the race. And if there was, I can't believe that it would be anything but a disadvantage for them. I just don't see it - but I wouldn't mind if they did do testing.
2. Oooh. There's a powerful question. The following is a letter of ideas that I have submitted to the Iditarod Board the last couple of years - concerning some ideas I have on rule changes that I believe would be in the best interest of the event.

April 23, 2007
Dear Iditarod Trail Board of Directors,

Though there are a multitude of proposed Iditarod rule changes and adjustments that have strong merit (including raising the qualifying criteria, mandatory vet checks and rest at each checkpoint along the coast, defining acceptable criteria for team departure from checkpoints, increasing the entry fee, etc.), there is one that leads the pack. I am strongly in favor of a rule that simply states, “Any team participating in the Iditarod Sled Dog Race that experiences an expired dog within the confines of the event will be withdrawn.” This is a rule that will benefit everyone involved, including the future of the Race itself, race fans and supporters and the future of ALL participating mushers, including the team that is withdrawn.

Reasons for my support include:

1. It eliminates the responsibility of an immediate decision made by the race officials.
To ensure longevity for the Iditarod, it is imperative to maintain experienced and educated staff. Placing the burden of the responsibility on the officials to make challenging and stressful decisions within a relatively short time frame with questionable long-range support is in no way conducive to maintaining the loyalty and dedication the Race needs from its staff and supporters. Clear-cut guidelines for tough decisions promote confidence in the Race and its officials.

2. It eliminates any immediate blame on the part of the musher.
With a “blanket” policy for all, it defers any insinuation of poor conduct.

3. It provides adequate time for a thorough investigation.
Careful investigations, research and then decisions can be made in a less stressful environment thereby insuring accurate and well thought out assessments.

4. It promotes a deeper understanding of dog care.
With all due respect, a deep sensitivity to dog care takes more time and awareness than many people will ever have. Though it is tough to hear, 99% of race fatalities could have been avoided by knowledgeable observation, attentiveness and decision processes. When the consequences are great enough, it will increase all individual’s attentiveness and sensitivity; from musher to vet to race official.

5. It promotes the continued success of the Race and the Race participants.
This is the most important reason.

In all fairness to the Race, it is imperative that an individual’s misjudgment, or misfortune, does not negatively impact the future success of all. Race support and individual mushers’ support is dramatically threatened by poor Race image. Nothing creates a poorer image than an expired dog, regardless of the cause. The death of a dog in a team should not be such a “non event” that the team should be allowed to continue, potentially receiving awards. A worse case scenario within the confines of the rules is the situation that these rules must protect against happening.

Plain and simply put, expired dogs are bad business. The future of this incredible event will be greatly compromised if this issue it not determinedly and professionally addressed while taking the present culture into account. The race must protect itself, its integrity and its goals so that all may benefit, mushers, fans and dogs alike. This is a business decision that will insure the continued success and professional profile of an event that has taken decades of hard work and care to develop; an event that should never be lost to history due to any one significant moment of misguided fortune.

Rules and procedures must be made with a holistic view of the goals and future success of the Iditarod and its participants. Allowing any one individual the power to negatively impact either of these is simply poor judgment.

In addition, a carefully considered, clear, consistent penalty is in order for any withdrawn team that is then ruled to be guilty of any action or inaction that results in the suffering of a dog. This could range from a 5-year ban to a lifetime ban from participating in the Race.

The Iditarod Sled Dog Race has gained national and worldwide acclaim and deserves a brilliant future. Mushers who choose to be involved with this event should share this goal by signing up with the sincere intention of supporting all rules and judgments of the Race Committee.

Thank you for your time, your continuing dedication to the Iditarod and your valued support. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require further comment.

Sincerely,
Jeff king

3. Passing Swingley on my way into Unalakleet in the '06 race was right up there with nirvana.
4. Oh lordy - don't ask me if I have a favorite dog ~ that's like asking me if I have a favorite daughter... the answer varies from day to day!
Jeff King

PreviousNext

Return to Archive