ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King (12/15 thru 12/21)

Postby flowerpower » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Thank you again for joining us! And any time you want to visit Texas, just say the word! The hound haven is open! :D
Oh, but I have to tell you--the hounds will get mad if I don't-my avatar is actually a basset! :lol: :lol: Hard to tell with all those flowers, I know! :lol: Of course, we love beagles here, too! Uno, who won Westminister this year, is partially an Austin hound!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Heidi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Thank you for sharing your letter to the ITC with us. Wow, I really agree with what you wrote, Jeff. Making it a rule that a musher is automatically withdrawn if he/she has a dog expire on the trail can only help to promote better dog care. Thank you for taking a stand. :)

Also, many thanks to your sponsors, including Cabelas, for without them we might not have the opportunity to see you race. Now if only Cabelas would open a store near me! :D

All the questions I had for you have already been asked/answered, so I hope you don't mind if I take a slightly different course. I was (and am) a big fan of Susan Butcher. I had the awesome opportunity of meeting her and her family, and I came away from that experience with as much awe and respect for Susan as I have for you (which has only increased in the last few days). Would you happen to have a favorite memory that involves you and Susan? Thank you Jeff. :)

Susan_interviews_Jeff2.jpg

(Thanks to June Price for the photo.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heidi

Postby Moose » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:12 am

Hey, Jeff! I keep checking out the new Maine Cabela's, hoping you'll make a sneak appearance. That would be way cool. FYI and for that of your major sponsor, I used to be a true-blue LL Bean shopper until YOU and THE RACE introduced me to Cabela's. So make sure they know that their sponsorship has produced at least one true-blue Cabela's convert! I shopped there yesterday, as a matter of fact. ;)

Oh, we're here for questions, right? Okay. So, I see the name Jason Reppert on the T-200 sign-up. With a home address listed as Denali, I assume he's associated with your kennel. A handler? If so, who is he going to be running for dogs and what are your expectations of him and the team for this race?

Best wishes for a wonderful season. If at some point along a difficult trail you think you hear words of encouragement drifting in on the wind from some far away place, those words and that encouragement will be coming from me in the opposite corner of the country. :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MarinOhio » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Hello Jeff.........I've stuttered to you on the phone because I was so shocked you answered your own phone, I've gotten my picture taken with you, I've petted your dogs, and I followed you as a volunteer last year in the communications, computer and phone rooms. You were my first Iditarod Hero and actually my first Hero period. OK, well, maybe after my husband but he's much older. And like the other fans, I'm delighted with your wit, humor, good sense, prudence, groundedness and obvious love of your dogs and family. I loved the Lance Dance that caught you off guard and your fury and eventual reconciliation with it. He's my No. 2 Hero followed by about 30 other mushers. As I walk dogs in 5 degree weather in Ohio, and can't stand up on the ice, I marvel anew at what you people do. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You've answered all my questions. I'm glad you liked and support the ION Earth tracking which was a godsend to us in the phone room. And I wholly support your views on expired dogs during the race. I hope the Board will seriously consider adopting a version of your recommendations. But I don't agree that you are finished writing books..........maybe when you're old!

Thanks for the fun you bring into our lives, Marlyn in Findlay, Ohio
MarinOhio

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jeff. Good Luck in Iditarod 2009. We'll be looking for you!
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Jeff King » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 am

Heidi wrote:Thank you for sharing your letter to the ITC with us. Wow, I really agree with what you wrote, Jeff. Making it a rule that a musher is automatically withdrawn if he/she has a dog expire on the trail can only help to promote better dog care. Thank you for taking a stand. :)

Also, many thanks to your sponsors, including Cabelas, for without them we might not have the opportunity to see you race. Now if only Cabelas would open a store near me! :D

All the questions I had for you have already been asked/answered, so I hope you don't mind if I take a slightly different course. I was (and am) a big fan of Susan Butcher. I had the awesome opportunity of meeting her and her family, and I came away from that experience with as much awe and respect for Susan as I have for you (which has only increased in the last few days). Would you happen to have a favorite memory that involves you and Susan? Thank you Jeff. :)

Susan_interviews_Jeff2.jpg

(Thanks to June Price for the photo.)

I have many fond memories of Susan. First time I ever met Susan Butcher, she and her team came roaring into a little log cabin north of Nenana, where I was visiting my good friend Marilyn Coghill. Susan had just mushed in 75 miles from Manly, and I was pretty much in awe. This would have had to be in 1978 or 1979. She stayed for a quick bite to eat and saddled her gallant stallion and disappeared into the night.
Many years later, in the midst of her reign of terror on the Iditarod boys, I had the opportunity to race her in the Coldfoot Classic. About midway through the race, a group of us were traveling through the night down the John River towards Bettles. Surrounded by Iditarod legends, it was clear no one that night had a better lead dog than my Hickory. The glare ice and downhill grade made for a wild and crazy ride. It was somewhere along there, while Susan's team was tangled in the brush after a wrong turn by her lead dog, that Hickory masterfully wound me through the maze without incident. I remember Susan's headlamp shining on Hickory as I went by, and I heard her yell out with envy "Where did you get that lead dog?"
She really was something. I miss her.
Jeff King

Postby Jeff King » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:31 am

Moose wrote:Hey, Jeff! I keep checking out the new Maine Cabela's, hoping you'll make a sneak appearance. That would be way cool. FYI and for that of your major sponsor, I used to be a true-blue LL Bean shopper until YOU and THE RACE introduced me to Cabela's. So make sure they know that their sponsorship has produced at least one true-blue Cabela's convert! I shopped there yesterday, as a matter of fact. ;)

Oh, we're here for questions, right? Okay. So, I see the name Jason Reppert on the T-200 sign-up. With a home address listed as Denali, I assume he's associated with your kennel. A handler? If so, who is he going to be running for dogs and what are your expectations of him and the team for this race?

Best wishes for a wonderful season. If at some point along a difficult trail you think you hear words of encouragement drifting in on the wind from some far away place, those words and that encouragement will be coming from me in the opposite corner of the country. :D

Jason is in his third year helping us around here. A former soldier who spent time in Bosnia, Jason is a wildlife biologist by trade, dog musher by passion. Check out his photos on our most recent blog from our Solstice party the other night! Jason's the one in the burlap skirt. (hahaha!) Jason also was one of the snow machine crew members for my All Alaska Sweepstakes trip, a responsibility that really separates the men from the boys. He did a great job. As for expectations racing, his job will be to pilot the dogs through the T-200 with a focus on preparing them for the Iditarod one month later. Jason is 28 and single.
Jeff King

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 12: Jeff King

Postby Heidi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing that special memory of Susan. I can almost hearing her saying those words to you myself. :D

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to join us this past week. It has been a real pleasure to have you with us.

Best of luck on getting that 5th win in 2009! I know you'll make it an exciting race - and we'll be "watching" every step of the way! :D

Remember to check out Jeff's blog at http://www.huskyhomestead.com!
Heidi

Previous

Return to Archive