ASK THE MUSHER Vol 14: Brent Sass

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 14: Brent Sass (starts 2/27)

Postby Brent Sass » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Ridge wrote:Hi Brent.....While mushing along the trail, is it hard to stay warm ?

not for me I am constantly helping the dogs--- kicking poling and running!! I underdress so that I have no chose but to help the dogs

B
Brent Sass

Postby Brent Sass » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 pm

fladogfan wrote:Brent I agree with what has already been said. You have made lots of fans here at BSSD, thank you for giving us your time.

What, in your past, has made you so willing to go out of your way to help others?

fladogfan/gretchen

It just come naturally I cant really tell you where it comes from but I am sure my parents have something to do with it !!! I have always enjoyed helping others
Brent Sass

Postby Brent Sass » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:34 pm

MotorWerk wrote:Hi Brent, welcome to our forum.

Some questions:

You race with glasses, have you ever accidentally broken them in a race? Can you manage without them if you do? (I guess you have spares...)
Having something fabulous to eat at the CPs is always nice - what are your favorite CP treats?
I see you link to Dog Paddle Designs. Do they make your sleds? They do beautiful work.

Have you completely given up on Nordic skiing? I'm from Norway and we are completely crazy about cross-country.

All the best, Stig Olsen/Norway

YES my first Quest i broke my glasses nad ended up fixing them with a stick it was pretty funny looking but I made it work these days I carry and extra pair.

BEN and JERRYS ice cream and Salomon Strips keep me going out there

Dog Paddle Designs makes some amazing sled next season I will be racing with there sleds.

NO I have not completely giving up skiing but with the dogs it is hard to get out. this spring i will get out a few times but mushing has taken over!!

thanks for your Questions
B
Brent Sass

Postby Brent Sass » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:38 pm

flowerpower wrote:WELCOME BRENT! and Good one SR! I like that turn of phrase!

Brent, I am soooo excited to have you here, and thank you so much for taking time to join us. I have been following your career with interest the last couple of years-and thank you for making it easy with such a great website-and you were my pick to win the Quest this year. You might not have crossed the finish line first, but your incredible displays of sportsman ship make you a winner in my book for sure. I especially like the info about all the dogs-and after all, it really is all about them, isn't it? :D :D

My question is-what do think the most important thing is that you learned from Susan? Being able to train and learn from her must have been wonderful experience-she is the person who first sparked my interest in mushing, back before all these cool information sites, when the most we got down here was a couple of lines about the Iditarod and maybe a blurry picture (if we were lucky and it was a "slow" news day)!

Again, many thanks, and welcome to our little corner of insanity! ;)

I learned so many valuable lessons from Susan but I think he Number one thing i learned was to love your dogs and they will love you back and in turn go the end of the earth for you. Susan Pioneered the importance of the musher/ Dog relationship and I am strong believer that that relationshiop is what gets you down the trail. this years race only drives that home for me even more.
thanks for your question

B
Brent Sass

Postby Di* » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi Brent! :D
How cool it is to have you on the forum, thanks so much for doing this! I love reading your blog and have followed you for a couple of years. Your enthusiasm and sincerity are refreshing & inspiring. Must be that MN upbringing ;) (In case you couldn't guess I'm from MN too! :lol: )

Could you share with the forum how you came up with your kennel name...
Does your family come up and help out once in a while?
Do you ever get back to MN?
What is the biggest difference between MN/Alaska besides the mountains?

Thanks for your reply! :)
Di*

Postby saltybird » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Congrats on your award in the YQ. Great pictures of you helping other mushers even though it meant you lost time. That is a true sportsman. I'll be watching you from now on.

Salty
saltybird

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:36 am

Brent Sass wrote:
fladogfan wrote:What, in your past, has made you so willing to go out of your way to help others?
fladogfan/gretchen

It just come naturally I cant really tell you where it comes from but I am sure my parents have something to do with it !!! I have always enjoyed helping others

Congratulations on your Quest Award, we had already bestowed that on you here at BSSD :lol: :lol: glad YQ agreed with us!!
And big THANKS to your parents and all other forces that made you the good man you are.

When do you think your book will be ready?? Not rushing you or anything :roll: :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Brent Sass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Di* wrote:Hi Brent! :D
How cool it is to have you on the forum, thanks so much for doing this! I love reading your blog and have followed you for a couple of years. Your enthusiasm and sincerity are refreshing & inspiring. Must be that MN upbringing ;) (In case you couldn't guess I'm from MN too! :lol: )

Could you share with the forum how you came up with your kennel name...
Does your family come up and help out once in a while?
Do you ever get back to MN?
What is the biggest difference between MN/Alaska besides the mountains?

Thanks for your reply! :)

thanks for your questions

My Kennel name comes fro ma Hobo Jim song named Wild and Free I love the song and think it describes me very well.

My dad comes up every year to help with the Quest his Job is to drive the truck

I get back to MN very little with the dogs it is hard to get away and when I am not mushing i need to be working

the difference between MN and ALaska---- The people and Alaska is just BIGGER

hope that answers your Questions

B
Brent Sass

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Brent! I'm enjoying reading your responses!

My questions:

--What's your favorite trail memory (on or off a race, doesn't matter)?

--What's the funniest thing that has ever happened to you or that you have witnessed on the trail (on or off a race)?

--Will you be working again this summer at Trail Breaker Kennel? Speaking of which, how are David, Tekla and Chisana doing these days? I hope one day one of the girls follows in her mother's footsteps.

--Are you going to the start/restart of the Iditarod?

Thanks Brent! :)
Heidi

Postby darby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Hey thanks for coming here to answer questions! This might be weird question but it's something I've always wondered, Do mushers ever get to shower or wash up during the race?
darby

PreviousNext

Return to Archive