ASK THE MUSHER Vol 14: Brent Sass

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 14: Brent Sass (starts 2/27)

Postby CynCyn37 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

darby wrote:Hey thanks for coming here to answer questions! This might be weird question but it's something I've always wondered, Do mushers ever get to shower or wash up during the race?

So glad you asked that! That might prevent me from long distance races :D :D
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby dilli » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Is Brent still around?? Am a bit late leaping in .. sooo busy baking treats for Team Iditabuddy.
Brent .. you're a class act and it's been a real joy watching you grow in wisdom and experience, in addition to admiring the intense bonding relationship you and your tailwagging teamamates share with each other

Hope you're settling back into real life ok. Not a fun transition. The Quest was a brutal slug fest .. incredible competition. I honestly don't know what more you could have done .. you left a trail of your blood,sweat and tears .. and lots of footprints .. behind you.

In 2008's Quest, you boldly steamrolled up the trail from the start and your team faded a bit toward the end .. this year you adjusted and tempered your pace, run/rest strategy. You made a big bold run from Central (after an 11 hour rest) to Two Rivers , yet suddenly and shockingly, the dogs balked and hit the wall after leaving Two Rivers after the 8 hour mandatory .. have you figured out any specific reason why this happened at that particular time and place? Was it psychological, physiological, both or none of the above. Really baffling and frustrating ... my heart just broke for you.

Sincere, heartfelt congratulations to you for an incredible effort and race .. be proud of what you and your dogs accomplished and your well deserved award for sportsmanship .. your many visible and invisible fans and supporters are very, very proud of you for setting such a magnificent, inspirational personal example of sportmanship, dogmanship, dedication, hard work and excellent attitude as you continue your unique journey and dance in this circle of life.

Blessings, good health, and joy to you and your remarkable teammates .. be and stay wild and free .. Happy Trails!
Dilli
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Brent Sass » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:11 pm

CynCyn37 wrote:
darby wrote:Hey thanks for coming here to answer questions! This might be weird question but it's something I've always wondered, Do mushers ever get to shower or wash up during the race?

no no shower the closest thing to a shower is brushing your teeth!!!
Brent Sass

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm

:lol: :lol: Don'cha get a shower in Dawson though Brent? Seems I've heard that there are a couple places in Iditarod where mushers can shower but of course, not regularly or leisurely... :lol:
Di*

Postby CynCyn37 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Brent Sass wrote:
CynCyn37 wrote:

no no shower the closest thing to a shower is brushing your teeth!!!

I think that might nudge me in the direction of Sprint Races :D :D :D
CynCyn37

Postby Brent Sass » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Di* wrote::lol: :lol: Don'cha get a shower in Dawson though Brent? Seems I've heard that there are a couple places in Iditarod where mushers can shower but of course, not regularly or leisurely... :lol:

Ya your right in dawson we get a shower but it really takes you out of routine, in General I dont take many showers during the season so it really doesnt affect me much. when you live in a place far from running water the sponge bath is all you got!!
Brent Sass

Postby Brent Sass » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:44 pm

dilli wrote:Is Brent still around?? Am a bit late leaping in .. sooo busy baking treats for Team Iditabuddy.
Brent .. you're a class act and it's been a real joy watching you grow in wisdom and experience, in addition to admiring the intense bonding relationship you and your tailwagging teamamates share with each other

Hope you're settling back into real life ok. Not a fun transition. The Quest was a brutal slug fest .. incredible competition. I honestly don't know what more you could have done .. you left a trail of your blood,sweat and tears .. and lots of footprints .. behind you.

In 2008's Quest, you boldly steamrolled up the trail from the start and your team faded a bit toward the end .. this year you adjusted and tempered your pace, run/rest strategy. You made a big bold run from Central (after an 11 hour rest) to Two Rivers , yet suddenly and shockingly, the dogs balked and hit the wall after leaving Two Rivers after the 8 hour mandatory .. have you figured out any specific reason why this happened at that particular time and place? Was it psychological, physiological, both or none of the above. Really baffling and frustrating ... my heart just broke for you.

Sincere, heartfelt congratulations to you for an incredible effort and race .. be proud of what you and your dogs accomplished and your well deserved award for sportsmanship .. your many visible and invisible fans and supporters are very, very proud of you for setting such a magnificent, inspirational personal example of sportmanship, dogmanship, dedication, hard work and excellent attitude as you continue your unique journey and dance in this circle of life.

Blessings, good health, and joy to you and your remarkable teammates .. be and stay wild and free .. Happy Trails!

Dilli

thank you for your note I truly enjoy what i do and strive to do it to its fullest, In a previous Question I talked about what happened. look that for details but in short i made some mistakes it was very clear to me shortly after what was happening it was hard but you learn something everytime you make a mistake and we are going to come out wiser and more prepared for next year having gone through this experience in this years race. What doesn't Kill ya only makes ya stronger!!!
Brent Sass

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Brent, I maybe missed this question and answer, but why and when did you withdraw from the Iditarod?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby CynCyn37 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Ewwww! That is the only time my 'prissy' girl comes out. It is all my mother's fault. She bathed me 3 times a day when I was a baby!!

So Brent will you pick my Top 10 for me so I won't be last or next to last again???? LOL!! Seriously though, how much weight would you give to the poor weather conditions in your picks, if any? Larger teams, Sibes?

Thanks so much for hanging around. Maybe you can explain what is happening in the Race.
CynCyn37

Postby Brent Sass » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:54 pm

fladogfan wrote:Brent, I maybe missed this question and answer, but why and when did you withdraw from the Iditarod?

I came to the reality that I was not going to be able to affordit and withdrew back in nov. it was hard but I wanted to do one of the races justice and my focus is on the Quest until i WIN it!!
Brent Sass

PreviousNext

Return to Archive