ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to questions)

Postby Hugh Neff » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:38 pm

dashdel wrote:Hey Hugh glad you had a good race sounded fun.
You are right Rick was charm to work for as I did handle for him 80 thru 83 and being His former B-inlaw it was truly a challenge. :D If you know what I mean...
But he was a good teacher and I did learn a lot from him. And put on several thousand miles helping him train those wonderful teams back then. It was truly a pleasure being in such control. And really Rick was the only one at the time that figured it out back then too.. Susan showed up those years too and learned from Rick too.
I just wish I stayed as I had a whole team out of his best dogs IE: Andy and Obe. But time moved on and so did I back here in sunny Florida now watching the race from the sideline as the armchair musher I now am.
I did wonder if you got any info from Rick as to what or why he took such a long time at ole women? He was having such a good race too. Just wondering.. As I am sure he wouldn't tell me his old handler.
Del

Hey Del,
We've travelled some of the same trails I see. I stayed at Susan's in Eureka many moons ago as well as the Erhart's in Tanana. Miss the Hootlinana hotsprings. Rick was having some back problems to deal with the whole race. We all knew he had one of the best teams out there, unfortunately he could barely even walk. It's a tribute to him that he finished the race with such a fine looking outfit.
Hugh Neff

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm glad to hear good things about Rick Swenson!! Thanks :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby dashdel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Yea those were the days Hugh. Sure miss them like I said.... Anyway that's what I heard though the grapevine and I know what back pain is as well...
Thanks for the info and if you are ever in sunny Florida you and your family have a place to stay. Talk about the ole times. Gainesville area that is. Del
dashdel

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to q uestions)

Postby mushing loon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Hugh Neff wrote:That'd be like comparing Baghdad to Kabul.

:D :lol: :D That's funny!
it was once again- the trailbreakers on the Alaskan side, or lack there of.

Same problem as last year? I thought John was in charge?
As far as being an asset to the sport. We all know by now that I'm one of those men that just does'nt seem to 'fit in'- obviously by choice. There's much in the community (especially the media) that many of us racers find appalling- especially the negative energy that we are forced to deal with at times. I did not migrate to the Greatland in search of being some great mushing champion. I came here because I want to be a Great Alaskan. Still working on earning the people's respect 1st.

That's one of the things I like about you! That is the whole thing that I thought Alaska was about - the great frontier and all.
Your "I am what I am" attitude is what I relate to. That's called being honest. Wish more were like that.
No apologies, working hard, running the trail - right on!

Keep on keeping on 8-)

PS: Love the song quotes on your blog!

Loon
For race updates check The Loon's Mushing Report http://mushingloon.blogspot.com
mushing loon

Postby JeanieB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Hugh Neff wrote:After all it's a sign of their spirituality not ours. Most of the media folks who write about mushing are being paid to create controversy not elaborate on one of Alaska's greatest treasures

So true, so true! How difficult for some of us to see that what someone "says" about someone else is a reflection on "themselves" rather than the person/issue they are dissing. More power to you.......

So many interesting ideas, Hugh; I am really enjoying reading your perspective on the sport. Obviously, you are a GO person. If you ever have to slow down, you need to write a book.

Enjoy your year, and thanks again for sharing with us.
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Hugh Neff » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44 pm

We'd just like to mention the race (Yukon Flats 300) that we are sponsoring that begins the morning of April 1st. It's based out of Fort Yukon. All entrants will receive $ to help pay for travel expenses.

For more info: laughingeyeskennel@hotmail.com

I'll be in Fairbanks Sunday night with brochures! All are welcome. Great training for younger dogs and handlers as well.

Thanks again, it was fun, Hugh
Hugh Neff

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 pm

8-) Thanks Hugh for your monumental effort & commitment to answering our many questions 8-) :lol:

Good luck with the Yukon Flats Race, hope all the details fall seamlessly into place & we will continue to cheer you on from cyberspace!

:) You and Tamra are a part of our "family" here so don't hesitate to come back and "see" us anytime!

For more info on school visits email Hugh at: laughingeyeskennel@hotmail.com
Blog: http://www.laughingeyeskennel.blogspot.com
Di*

Previous

Return to Archive