ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to questions)

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks, Tamra, ( get some sleep Hugh!)

All best wishes to ALL of you up there. The adventure never ends, does it?

We know it is going to be a challenge getting everyone back to where they need to be. Prayers for all that even if the process is extended and slow, that it is safe, above all.

Kathy Chapoton blogged that she and Martin and some others had a similar experience, Nome to Fairbanks and onward. Were you on the flight to Fairbanks with them?

I know this is going to be an issue for too too too many people, and I hope it resolves in the best possible way for everyone. By now we are used to worrying, another day or so just keeps that anticipation going and staves off the < thud> of the big letdown.

good thoughts to you both, a job well done!

Breeze
Breeze

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (live from Nome!)

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 am

libby the lab wrote:Hugh- Congrats on your finish!! Special thanks to Tamra for being on the BSSD chat and keeping us posted on you. I think you made the right decison for you and your dogs to go back to shelter. I respect you for thinking of your dogs and their safety.
What do you do in the off season and how many dogs do you own or care for?

Cindy, Libby and Hank

Hey guys,
Finally made it home at 3 this morning. Our flight from Nome was diverted to Fairbanks thus we had to borrow Lester Erhart 's truck to get back down to our stuff in Anchor town. Quite the journey this year, Eh? After Mother Nature redesigned my face coming in to `Shack` we basically went into survival mode. Obviously some folks went for it and succeeded, waiting was a decision I`ll never regret. More to life than $ or what place one finishes. I`ve learned thru the years to have a healthy respect for the earth`s energy- we are but fleas on her back. I`ll give you a brief example of my schedule: Returned here to Annie Lake (between Whitehorse and Skagway)a few hours ago, will head back to fairbanks sunday then on to Fort Yukon for the race next week. After returning back here in a few weeks we`ll be heading to visit some of our retired dogs who now live at a resort In Nunavut, Northwest Territories. (a day`s flight) After that we`ll be performing our school tour in May which encompasses driving all over the midwest as well as east coast and parts of the south- it`s basically a race in itself. One that I enjoy as much as running the Quest or Iditarod. Not much summer tourism with the dawgs anymore, not really a good idea as far as racing is concerned. Besides they`d rather go play at the beach! HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 am

breeze wrote:Kathy Chapoton blogged that she and Martin and some others had a similar experience, Nome to Fairbanks and onward. Were you on the flight to Fairbanks with them?

Hi,
Yes, they were on the same flight. Their dogs were already home thus they just rented a vehicle. Was fun sharing a dogtruck with Hans Gatt and Gerry Willomitzer. We rarely get a chance to chat for extended periods of time like that. What Karma that the eruption would happen just as our flight was leaving Nome. Lancès icing on the cake I guess. Hugh
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:50 am

CynCyn37 wrote:Congrats on getting to Nome!

You had us worried for awhile there. Glad to know that you are safe and sound. Hope all of you can rest and recouperate now!

I know that you've said this was the roughest race, so you may not have a 'fun' moment. If you do, please tell us about your best or most enjoyable moment on the trail!

Hey there,
Fun moment-hmmm. The best moments were arriving at numerous checkpoints and getting hugs from our leader Annie. Quite humbling to no that you have one of the most amazing 4-legged creatures on the planet. She has so much energy that her legs twitch, body vibrates. In fact at the finish in Nome she was jumping on reporters and wrapping herself around schoolkids. Unreal to watch on a daily basis on the trail. In the dogyard she does not even run like a dog, Annie actually gallops around like a small horse-Beautiful. You know we are on to something here when a fella like Jeff King is repeatedly asking questions about her. (Erhart lines.)HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 am

hey hugh and tamra,
so so so glad you home safe guys. mother nature sure did put on a show this year.
hows the face healing? i hope its not too bad. we were watching from here in england and rooting for you big style, am so proud you guys ran at the top for so long, wonder what would have happened if MN didnt throw a wobbly at you all. but like you said, $ and places mean nothing compared to how much the dogs do.

we were stoked to get tamras up dates. thanks so much!

shame we are the other side of the big pond otherwise we'd love to hear your tales form this years races. england is further than anchor town to nome and back a fair fw times... however if your ever this way side of the world be great to show you and tamra around england, hey you can even run some dogs here dryland sprint style! :D

i bet the drive back with hans and gerry was kinda fun, on the odd occasion we have shared lifts back in the same truck after a race its been great fun disecting the race and stratagies etc with fellow mushers.

what was you high point and low point of this years race
and any stand out dogs in your team?

thanks so much for checking in with us, such a generous thing to do esp after just finishing the run to nome!

GO HUGH GO! well done guys big scritches for all the dogs in the yard too
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

Di* wrote::D So glad to have you back on the forum safe and sound Hugh, thanks! We were on pins and needles watching your race and willing you to the finish line! :)
Now that you are done and have had a little bit of time to process the journey, could you share with us some of the thoughts that ran through your mind when you turned around and headed back to Shak?
Was this the first time you had seen winds like this?
What have you learned in dealing with wind and are you going to change your racing gear to reflect that?

Thanks for your reply! :)

Tamra check your private messages! :)

Hi,
When we got to the shelter cabin Jeff, Aaron, Mitch and Hans were there with over 50 dogs- 50 -60 mph winds and no decent spot for our pooches. Cabin was cold with little wood. We listened to KNOM and the weather report was calling for 60-70 below wind chill for the next few days. With no trail it was obvious the dogs would fare better back in Shack. With the wind at our back I knew we would be flying there as well. I also wanted to make sure no other mushers tried to get to the cabin either. Made sure some wood and straw was sent out to those guys as well. We are all one mushing family when dangers arise out there. No, have seen coastal winds like this before just not so consistent. Basically, my face was ripped apart because the furr ruff on my parky was not staying on- velcro adhesive went awry. Upon arrival I hired a local to sew the furr on and we were good from there. Made a special mask to cover frostbit areas as well. Luckily it was not too deep- face is nearly healed already. Hugh
Hugh Neff

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:09 am

thats good news about the face hugh, as always mushers might be fierce competitors on the trail, but when the chips are down, good friends willing to lend a hand, so good to hear and good desicion!

how small is that cabin? is there anywhere there where dogs can get out of the wind?

do you guys carry small radios with you for weather updates etc?
tanglefoot

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 am

flowerpower wrote:Job Well Done, Hugh and Team! Pets and scritches to the pups! We were soooo worried when we saw you turn around. Many thanks to Tamra for keeping us updated.

What dogs on your team really came through for you this year? Any surprises?

Thanks!

Hey there,
We knew the team was young- average age was 3ish. Besides Annie and her brother Watson another amazing pooch is Wild Bill who is the blue-eyed husky eating meat that they have been showing repeatedly on the Iditarod tv show. Bill certainly is the ladies man. Not even 3 yet and this fella has already finished 2 Iditarods, this years Quest, Kobuk 440 and the Kusko. All about heart and his is impressive! HHN p.s.: he and his siblings are out of Omen, a retired Mackey dog that led me to Nome the 4 previous years. Hugh
Hugh Neff

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:19 am

:o omen must have some of that mackey magic in him hugh! :D all that a 3 years old is pretty impressive! 8-)
tanglefoot

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:30 am

elsietee wrote:Hey Hugh, glad you're back safe. Nice job with those dogses.

1. Did you actually make it out as far as the "plywood cabin" out of Shaktoolik, or did you turn around before you got that far? Were you relieved to have an extra day of rest there? (I'm guessing you didn't play much basketball <grin>)

2. Do the dogs know when you're sick and slow down? or are you good at faking non-sickness?

3. How much food does each dog eat each day? and how d'you judge how much to take with you on the sled each run? do you usually know if bad weather is imminent and pack more in case you get stuck out there?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our endless questions :)

elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA

Yes, stayed at the cabin for about an hour. Rest never hurts though it was hard to sleep considering the # of mushers hyped up on coffee and jabbering away. Unfortunately the entire race I had a huge hacking cough that sometimes lasted 5-10 minutes. Tried every type of medicine as well as antibiotics. Vets were great help with regards to my bronchial problems. Food varies depending on each pooch. Some dogs are finicky and eat only certain types of food. You have to be careful about overeaters like Watson who like to steal from their mates too. I should have brought more food to the cabin considering the conditions but there was no way that I would carry 2 days worth for a 50 mile run. Not good at faking being sick but I am one heck of a miserably happy person! HHN
Hugh Neff

PreviousNext

Return to Archive