ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (from Nome!)

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

BB Backer wrote:Hugh, we're so happy you made it to Nome and that you have come back to share your race with us. I know it wasn't the race you had hoped for, but you must feel an intense feeling of accomplishment for finishing.

With that said, "How do/did you handle the pain?"

Were there any sections of the race that you & the dogs were in real peril...where if you made the wrong decision it could be life threatening ? :o

You also mentioned that you didn't plan to go back to the Quest until improvements were made with race officials/organizers. After this tough Iditarod, have you changed your mind about doing the Quest? And what are your thoughts about racing in the Iditarod next year?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. Your Iditabuddies were pulling for you all the way. :D

Good luck in the future! And give the pooches a big hug for us...job well done! :D

Hey there,
Pain reminds one that you are ALIVE. Ugliest word in the world to me is-security. After seeing my ma and pa go thru cancer as well as hanging with Lance, one realizes that a bit of burn on the face helps to keep the heart racing. Sickness is what I deplore- coughing and sneezing all the time is so annoying. Peril, everyday the unknown awaits. I guess each individual takes risks depending on how much they want to get out of this life. The only thing that I ever find threatening is being bored. As far as the Quest we have already been contacted by race organizers who are seeking to rectify the situation. We as mushers need to help the Quest make improvements. That is why we are planning on putting reflectors on Eagle Summits tripods ourselves. The # of reflectors on the coast was amazing. What happened during the Quest was an embarassment to the mushing community as a whole not just myself. One that I hope we all learn from.. Quest is easy compared to Iditarod, well, at least this year. Being Hugh Neff I am like a migratory animal following its yearly path home-Quest and ID are in my DNA. Though I have heard rumors of a rather long race from Norway to Russia that sounds quite interesting, Amundsen being a hero of mine. HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Moose wrote:Hugh and Tamra: I hope you BOTH are feeling better now. Sounds like you guys had a doozy of a cold or something worse!

Three questions:
1. I know when I don't feel well, there really is "No place like home". So, Hugh, was there a time on the trail or in a checkpoint where you so desperately wanted to throw in the towel and go home?

2. Mother Nature really smacked down hard on the race this year. Though it's Alaska and weather is always an issue, this is the first year since I've been following the race online that weather was such a hugely significant factor. It sounds like some folks were in serious, possibly critical situations and, without an official word, I've read that at least one driver feels the weather may have been contributory in the death of two of his dogs. This isn't another serum run where lives are at stake; it's a race. Races have been called for any number of reasons, not the least of which is weather. I love this race and the dogs that run it, and yeah some of the mushers, too. ;) So my question is really one from the perspective of devil's advocate: Is there a point, should there be a point, where race officials wave the red flag and bring the race to a halt, even temporarily?

3. Lastly, I came across the comment somewhere that "there's always trail for the leader, but the rest of the field is on their own", or words to that effect. In a race like this one, with the weather of this one, is there a benefit to being out front on "freshly-broken" trail?

Thanks, Hugh. Having you and the other mushers visit with us means a lot. We fans are starved for every tidbit of info we can pull in. What the ITC provides just leaves us craving for more. Thanks, Tamra, for your updates and stories. :D Happy trails to both of you!

Awesome questions. Whenever I think of scratching all you folks praying for us to do well comes to mind. The show must go on! As far as temporary halts- was amazed there was not one. Races should always be based on the overall welfare of the pooches. Not a good idea to get on officialès faces during a race however- never know how they might react to any complaining. That being said ID made sure those dogs out at the cabin had straw. On our run from McGrath they even had snowmachines running moose off the trail just outside of Takotna. Sure, trail is better though Lances dogs broke thru quite a bit of hard packed trail. All of life is a catch 22.-blessings and tough times typically intertwine.There is enough snowmachine traffic out there that most mushers see a few machines each day. However you do not want it like the Sweepstakes where the machines actually ruin the spirit of the race. HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Breeze wrote:Hugh, this was a hard tough go for everyone out there and I'll woman up to say that from my safe armchair. So many times in this race we have feared for human and canine lives, and prayed, willed, sent up all good thoughts for safe passage and succor for those in harms way.

Do the mushers/drivers have a timely weather report/ weather forecast/ when they set out from CP ?

breeze

Are you related to WINDY. Sure, we have reports hourly if not more often. Humans can only predict so well. HHN
Hugh Neff

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to questions)

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:40 pm

emwcee wrote:So glad to hear you made it to Nome safetly. You had us worried there for a while. When I saw your GPS going backwards, I was on pins and needles, thinking the frostbite had gotten worse and that you were going to scratch. I was so happy and relieved to see you moving ahead again. Congratulations on a great race! And a big thanks to Tamra for joining us in the forum and chatroom.

I hope you're not too overwhelmed by our questions. Here are a few more:

1. What are some precautions you're going to take next time to avoid frostbite? Do you have any cold weather tips you want to pass along, even for fans? What are the warning signs we should watch for?

2. How did the storm affect your race? Do you think the extra time you spent waiting out the storm helped you recover from your frostbite?

3. Do you post on your website the stops you plan to make on your school tours? Do you think any of the classrooms would let a homeschool family (such as us) come join them? (Just hoping)

emwcee (Marcia)

Hey there,
The ruff made all the difference in the world. Be prepared for anything when out on the trail. Always remember the wind is much more dangerous than just cold weather. After all it is Global Winding not Global Warming. Keep moving when chilled, hand warmers help though I hardly ever use them. Libby Riddles showed me how to put booties on your cheecks underneath your mask to protect from the wind- I used one on my nose as well. Through trial and error it seems that military issue clothing might not be the coolest looking stuff but definately the most efficient. My decision to go back announced that I had given up any chance of top 5 status. If we cannot win an event I could care less what position we finish in. I just want a good looking team. (This drives Tamra crazy but $ wil never control my life-Ever.) When we finally left we realized it would have been more oppotune to leave a bit earlier in the day. Still putting our May tour together. Typically start off in the midwest then on to the east coast and south. Hoping to hit New Orleans and Austin this fall if possible. All our welcome, just let us know where you are at. I love sharing the glory of our beasts and the North just as much as being on the sled behind a fine looking team. Peace, HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 pm

tanglefoot wrote:hey hugh and tamra,
so so so glad you home safe guys. mother nature sure did put on a show this year.
hows the face healing? i hope its not too bad. we were watching from here in england and rooting for you big style, am so proud you guys ran at the top for so long, wonder what would have happened if MN didnt throw a wobbly at you all. but like you said, $ and places mean nothing compared to how much the dogs do.

we were stoked to get tamras up dates. thanks so much!

shame we are the other side of the big pond otherwise we'd love to hear your tales form this years races. england is further than anchor town to nome and back a fair fw times... however if your ever this way side of the world be great to show you and tamra around england, hey you can even run some dogs here dryland sprint style! :D

i bet the drive back with hans and gerry was kinda fun, on the odd occasion we have shared lifts back in the same truck after a race its been great fun disecting the race and stratagies etc with fellow mushers.

what was you high point and low point of this years race
and any stand out dogs in your team?

thanks so much for checking in with us, such a generous thing to do esp after just finishing the run to nome!

GO HUGH GO! well done guys big scritches for all the dogs in the yard too

Hey,
Who knows, plan on visiting your area soon. Tamra's P's are from there though I'll be heading straight for Edinborough being a Muir and Wallace man. Low point was obviously coming into shack- the groaning, it was like being eaten alive. Flying down into Rohn and hanging with Aaron and Rick Swenson was fun. Like most of us, Rick is the "MAN" in my book. They all stood out- the next few years of our lives will be history makers.
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 pm

tanglefoot wrote:thats good news about the face hugh, as always mushers might be fierce competitors on the trail, but when the chips are down, good friends willing to lend a hand, so good to hear and good desicion!

how small is that cabin? is there anywhere there where dogs can get out of the wind?

do you guys carry small radios with you for weather updates etc?

Cabin is a small a-frame. No place to hide from the wind- other teams already had those. Some mushers do carry radios- I will make sure to next year. The Iditarod will have to look into this situation- beacon sightings are given on the air so mushers will no where others are, I personally believe that the technology should be opened up; boards at each checkpoint, etc. ( I also firmly believe that we should have 'floating fours' on the coast where mushers must choose to stop twice at whatever checkpoint between Kaltag and Elim for 4 hours. Or else the overall state of health of ALL the pooches is diminished. All of the top competitive mushers who fight against this notion, I believe, are more concerned with how well they can place than the actual race itself. Any question concerning Iditarod should always end up with, "What would Joe Say?" HHN
Hugh Neff

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Hugh...

Thanks so much for being so candid with us. You seem like the kinda person we are all trying to be...I have the utmost of respect for what you and Tamra do.

This years race was tough to pick in our (forum) Top Ten contest. I can be honest, I had you in 5th with Lance, Ken, Bjornar (sp) and Jeff ahead of you, in that order.

:?: here is my :?:
Do you foresee, Central/Southern Illinois or the St Louis area (anywhere near) when you are on your school tour itinerary? ...yes I did see you haven't "gelled" the plans yet but...heck I would LOVE to shake your hand...and say Hi to Tamra too. 8-)

Peace and kindest of regards,

daniel...aka tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby txbennett » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Hugh and Tamra --

How exciting that you might include Austin in your fall plans. There are a number of us Iditafanatics in Texas that might be able to join you for a while if your schedule permits. Those that I know of in this forum that are from Texas are

Heidi, flowerpower, sarida, CynCyn37, DustMusher, nosnow tx, Tx76013 and me TXbennett -- and we all have relatives and friends that we bore with our Iditarod obsession

If you can let us know your schedule, I'm sure a number of us would make sure you are on our schedule too

Perhaps with JohnCn's approval we could make it an official BSSD event, and post pictures and stories to share with others. It's not quite Gatekeeper in Nome for the finish, but it's as good as it can get in Texas

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm

AUSTIN!!! AWESOME!!!!!! OK, Texas fans, right here, right now, we HAVE to make plans for the gathering we never had if Hugh comes to TEXAS!!!! I promise I will take off work to be there, or bring my school kids with me on an THE BEST field trip EVER!!! OMG!!!! I am quivering with excitement!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:25 pm

How about New England, Hugh? Are you coming to New England?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Archive