ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to questions)

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 pm

flowerpower wrote:AUSTIN!!! AWESOME!!!!!! OK, Texas fans, right here, right now, we HAVE to make plans for the gathering we never had if Hugh comes to TEXAS!!!! I promise I will take off work to be there, or bring my school kids with me on an THE BEST field trip EVER!!! OMG!!!! I am quivering with excitement!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know! Texas Iditabuddies Meet and Greet!!!!! I am so excited!!! Get to meet Heidi, Flower, Sarida, etc and HUGH?!!! How cool is that?!?!

Also, Hugh, I have very good friends in NOLA....best people in the world......if you need anything, they wll be there. And I just might be. Any excuse to eat red beans and rice, beingets, and drink Purle Haze! LOL!!!!

ETA beinets....how could I forget those????
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby JeanieB » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 pm

One more fan here delighted to see you safe and sound. I was really chomping at the bit with the struggles you had in the Quest :evil: :evil: . I agree with others, admiring your candor in answering our questions. I also have been thrilled with Tamara's kind attention to us when we 'crave' more news (and ACCURATE news).

My question:
I heard you say that running the Idit. and Quest are 'in your DNA' by now. How long did it take for that to happen.......or was it always there? And is it more your love of the dog/athletes, or the adventure, 'call of the wild' that captured you so?

And, another fan with a request: If you're going to be in Virginia, let us know! There are several forum folks here and in NC nearby.

Mush on,
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (from Nome!)

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Hugh Neff wrote:
Breeze wrote:Hugh, this was a hard tough go for everyone out there and I'll woman up to say that from my safe armchair. So many times in this race we have feared for human and canine lives, and prayed, willed, sent up all good thoughts for safe passage and succor for those in harms way.

Do the mushers/drivers have a timely weather report/ weather forecast/ when they set out from CP ?

breeze

Are you related to WINDY. Sure, we have reports hourly if not more often. Humans can only predict so well. HHN

I'm HOWLING with laughter, Hugh. IF ONLY I had a nickel in my pocket for every time I've said "meteorologists get paid for being wrong" !!!!!!!!

I am a guardian to a Wind Breaker, as it goes.. :D :D :D :D :D...... HER name is Breeze and she is a Black and Tan Tornado still at 13 years old. Gordon Setter x Lab, a whirlwind exists somewhere between her ears.

Thanks for taking the time to visit with us post race. Much appreciated.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby emwcee » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Hugh, I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska. Will you be coming anywhere near there?
emwcee

Postby braider » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:23 am

Hugh Neff wrote: Like most of us, Rick is the "MAN" in my book.

Would you elaborate on this a bit? I am an ancient friend of Rick Swenson - our parents knew each other in West Central Minnesota. Of late, most of what Iditarod fans see is not always very favorable towards Rick - 'Mr. Grumpy'. What makes him 'Da man' to you? ...Dave
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 am

Hugh,

Thanks for taking the time to join us. I want to echo the words of the others saying that we rode the Iditarod rollercoaster with you (and Tamra) this year and I'm glad that ultimately everything turned out ok. No real question here... just wanted to give yu a shout out and say thanks.

Tamra, It was an absolute pleasure hanging with you during the race. Don't be a stranger. You both are part of our community, our family now. I hope you can feel that.

Please post your itinerary for your trip to the lower 48 when you can. If you get anywhere near the Deep South (TN, GA, NC, SC etc) I would love to catch up with you.

Take care,

Linda
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:00 am

It seems that I do have a question, about Rick Swenson. Early in the race he seemed to come on strong like he hasn't in several years. If it wasn't for the misfortune he had with his sled I believe he would have been a serious contender for a spot in the top ten this year. It was if he had a new approach to the race or a new mindset. I can't put my finger on it but it seemed as if there was something different. Is there anything you can elaborate on here or am I imagining things.
mamamia

Postby Hugh Neff » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:34 am

JeanieB wrote:One more fan here delighted to see you safe and sound. I was really chomping at the bit with the struggles you had in the Quest :evil: :evil: . I agree with others, admiring your candor in answering our questions. I also have been thrilled with Tamara's kind attention to us when we 'crave' more news (and ACCURATE news).

My question:
I heard you say that running the Idit. and Quest are 'in your DNA' by now. How long did it take for that to happen.......or was it always there? And is it more your love of the dog/athletes, or the adventure, 'call of the wild' that captured you so?

And, another fan with a request: If you're going to be in Virginia, let us know! There are several forum folks here and in NC nearby.

Mush on,
JeanieB

Hey there,
There have been so many 'signs' in my life that I've always understood what the Great Almighty has desired of me. As an 8 year old child back in Evanston, a suburb of Chicago, while playing in the sandbox one day I was bitten on the neck by our large black german shepard named Scotty. From that day forward 'being a dawg' just came naturally. My father Phil was our boyscout master and in our garage were actual dogsleds that the scouts had built for the winter's "Klondike Derby" Event. Crazy Karma, eh? I bleed blue and gold. I travel so often because of my immense love of Alaska as well as the Yukon- there can be no greater natural kingdoms on this earth. Dogs and adventure are one entity to me- they can't be divided. That's why I feel sorry for pooches who are forced by their caretakers to live over 20 odd hours a day in some urban welling. Excercise your animals! Don't they deserve it? We will be in Virginia and NC as well as Tennessee- the state of my birth. Contact us at laughingeyeskennel@hotmail.com for more info. Hugh
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 am

emwcee wrote:Hugh, I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska. Will you be coming anywhere near there?

Morning,
Lincoln's not typically on our schedual though if there were enough groups of interest I could probably figure out a way to fly in for the day from Chicago. Send us an e-mail if you want more info. Hugh
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:42 am

CynCyn37 wrote:
flowerpower wrote:AUSTIN!!! AWESOME!!!!!! OK, Texas fans, right here, right now, we HAVE to make plans for the gathering we never had if Hugh comes to TEXAS!!!! I promise I will take off work to be there, or bring my school kids with me on an THE BEST field trip EVER!!! OMG!!!! I am quivering with excitement!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know! Texas Iditabuddies Meet and Greet!!!!! I am so excited!!! Get to meet Heidi, Flower, Sarida, etc and HUGH?!!! How cool is that?!?!

Also, Hugh, I have very good friends in NOLA....best people in the world......if you need anything, they wll be there. And I just might be. Any excuse to eat red beans and rice, beingets, and drink Purle Haze! LOL!!!!

ETA beinets....how could I forget those????

Hey,
Our iditarider was from Amarillo last year- hoping to go there as well. Tour will hopefully be in late september/early october. Feel free to send us info. of any schools/community groups who might be interested in a presentation. SRV, Hugh
Hugh Neff

PreviousNext

Return to Archive