ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (Starts 3/3)

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 pm

CynCyn37 wrote:Welcome Hugh!

You are my favorite musher because I read your journal and you named the dogs after characters from Willie Wonka! That was my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie and book when I taught....oh the fun we had!!!

I have a few questions for you:

1. Willie Wonka (70's) or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp) and why?

2. Favorite place on the Iditarod Trail and why?

3. Please tell us a little bit about the race you sponsored with your Quest winnings

4. Will you run the Quest again?

I thought you were ROBBED!!! But you can know that your dawgs hold the record for the fastest Quest time!

1. I love Johnny Depp but there's only one Mr. Wonka. (Gene Wilder) The author Roald Dahl had a differnt looking fellow in the book. I grew up as a child in front of the tv watching shows like this or Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang. These were musical fantasy worlds that taught us proper ways to view life and how we all fit into this unique world of ours.
2.I love it all. There's nothing like travelling on the coast, especially coming down off the Topkok hills staring out over the miles of swelling ocean water. Ruby always reminds me of when I worked for Lester Erhart upriver in Tanana. There's a magical feeling when you are on the Yukon river whether it be The Quest or Iditarod.
3.It's called The Yukon Flats 300. Josh Cadzow, his uncle Jay and I came up with the idea last year when we were up in Kotzebue. This area is one of the few places the dogs and I have'nt travelled to in the Greatland. Teams will come in from Circle then Fort Yukon-Beaver-Birch Creek and back. Not completely sure of the exact route. (as usual) We already have $10,000 raised to distribute evenly throughout the whole field of mushers to help pay for expenses. Trophies will be made of Native crafts. This race isn't about trophies, $, and beauracracy. It's spring carnival time, it's about having fun! Race starts April 1st, for more info you can contact Josh in Fairbanks or send us an e-mail.
4.My buddy Ray Redington told me I'd be a fool not to. Obviouslty there's a few folks that have a bit of power in that race that have problems dealing with this arrogant chicago boy's demeanor. I am what I am, what can I say? I love the Quest and will most certainly be coming back. After all my overall goal isn't to become some 'great' race champion- I want to compete in 50 thousand mile races, this Iditarod will mark #15 that we've been a part of since the 1st one in 2000. It's all about the energy.
Hugh Neff

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (Starts 3/3-3/6)

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 pm

MotorWerk wrote:Hi Hugh, and welcome.

What was your immidiate thoughts when you were told of the penalty?
Is it true that you gave half of your winnings away?
Your team was fast as lightning in the Quest - has the fact that they are obviously very fit this season made you rethink your Iditarod strategy?
What is your favorite CP food?

All the best,

Stig Olsen/Norway

They originally told me there would be a penalty - I thought it would be monetary not a time penalty. When I found out it was 2 hours at Twin Bears I immediately threw everything in the sled bag, bootied the dogs and took off. My immediate reaction was that it was excessive considering I maybe made up 10 minutes on William. Loads of mushers have run the road in the past and in this years race and the road is much better condition for the dogs than the trail is. The funny thing is, the trail is on the road coming into and leaving Central.

Yes I gave $5,000 to the Kruse family. They host a checkpoint at McCabe Creek. Just after the Quest went through, their generator started a fire that burnt down two buildings. We're hoping to have a barn raising this spring. I also gave $5000 to a new race - the Yukon Flats 300 which will be in Ft Yukon April 1st. The race is to promote long distance mushing in native villages.

Lets just say I feel quite confident in the abilities of our dogs to perform quite well in the Iditarod this year.

Spaghetti. I could eat it for breakfast and often do.
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:35 pm

nosnow tx wrote::oops: I have been off the forum for a long time and I am trying to catch up.

I had to jump in when I saw Hugh Neff was going to be on our forum.
CYN CYN I totally agree with you!
My complaint with that whole incident was and is not with the infracton of the rule, but the way the infraction penality was handed down. IMO, the Judges are given too much authority. The rules are ambigious. I read Rule #6 and saw that the Musher should stay on the marked trail, BUT no where did I see a discription of the penality for the infraction. The rules are too ambigious and are open to discretion of the Judges, which leads to controversy. I read where the Judge stated that after talking to several people, including a Vet they concluded that the infraction should be a 2 hr penality. If the rules were not so ambigious the Judge would not have to confer with anyone, He would simply inforce the STATED rule. A JUDGE SHOULD NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF A RACE.RULES SHOULD BE THE DETERMING FACTOR..
We are a football family. Husband has played and Coached, sons have played and one coaches now and we are puzzled why the rules are written this way.
i can't imagine anything like this happening in a football game. Even Little League has definate rules and discription of penalities. We saw this in the All Alaska Sweepstakes when the Judge stated " the Mushers don't need to know everything" Well, Yes they do, and so do the fans. I realize one can not compare Mushing to Football, but the common denominater here is stated rules and infractions.

Hugh, I'm off my soap box now and I have forgotten what I was going to ask you and I thought it was a good question, too. I will think of it later. Glad to have you here.
nosnow tx

Couldn't agree with you more.
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

emwcee wrote:Hugh, thanks so much for answering our questions, especially right before the Iditarod. Here are a couple from me:

1. Are you using some of the same dogs to run the Iditarod as the Quest? If so, which ones? How do you decide which dogs are capable of doing both races?

2. I was so impressed by the fact that you're donating half of your prize winnings to a race especially for Native mushers. I would love to see more Native mushers. What else can be done to help achieve that goal? Do you have any plans in the works to promote and encourage more Native mushers?

Thanks again.
emwcee (a.k.a. Marcia)

1. Using 8 of the same dogs: Annie, Watson, Walter (3 siblings), Delilah, Wild Bill (brother and sister), Scotty, Mahoosic, Nathan. Could have brought Maestro as well but he's 7 years old and has done 8 thousand mile races already. We're going to save him for our school tour in May. We decide which dogs will do both by how they look at the finish line. The best ones continue on.

2. I think Native corporations especially in Alaska's interior should support more mushers. Though people have to realize that sprint mushing is actually a religion in the native communities. This is how I learned how to mush. We're always looking for ways to help the cause.
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm

sc-race-fan wrote:WOW, with everything you must be doing right now to join us is above and beyond the call. Thank you very much. My question is: of all aspects of the race what do you like the most? BTW, I also think the penalty was excessive. In a so called society of fairness and equality, it sure sounds like it was not!!! Best of luck in the Iditarod this year and enjoy the ride..

The spirit of the dogs when we're all one solid ball of energy. It really is a magic carpet ride (well most of the time).
Hugh Neff

Postby Hugh Neff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Heidi wrote:Welcome Hugh (& Tamra too!) :D

I have some questions, but I'll wait and post mine 'down the trail' (after the race).

I do want to suggest that everyone read Hugh's March 2 blog post here: http://www.laughingeyeskennel.blogspot.com/
It explains everything that happened (including at the top of Eagle Summit) and his feelings about it.

But he's got bigger 'fish' to fry now. Here's to a MAGICAL '09 Iditarod, Hugh! :D

Oh, gosh, as a fellow former Chicagoan (from the NW suburbs), I can't help myself: Cubs or Sox? ;) :lol:

Well as a young boy I caught a foul ball at a Sox game though nothing compares with Wrigley field, especially when Harry Carey was still around.
Hugh Neff

Postby dilli » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Hugh! *waves to Tamra* 8-)

Will ask more questions after the Irod, but for now ..

What has been your most visually spiritual, mind blowing moment on the Iditarod trail over these many years?

Give all the tailwagging furbabies a big smooch and belly rub from me .. blessings, good health, Godspeed and an awesome magic ride for Irod XXXVII
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Hugh Neff wrote:Well as a young boy I caught a foul ball at a Sox game though nothing compares with Wrigley field, especially when Harry Carey was still around.

Tactful answer, Hugh! ;) :lol:
Heidi

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 am

Hi Hugh:

Very nice to meet you. It's really great to be able to visit with you and the others that have shared their time and experience here with us. The media shows us one aspect of a person; coming here and chatting, sharing stories and info, exposes a component the media often misses. Thanks for taking the time from a very busy schedule to do this. And thanks to Tamra for popping in here during the Quest to clarify a bit of rumor.

Okay. Dogs. You've named some of your Quest dogs who will be on the Iditarod trail too this year. How many dogs in your kennel, and how many of them are ready and able to hit the Iditarod trail, conditioned enough to expect them to finish smartly?

You ran one heck of a Quest. Your finish, despite the penalty, was amazing. Honest answer now: All things considered, do you expect to win Iditarod this year? (Your answer will affect my Top Ten Picks!) :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 am

Hugh...

Howdy from Illinois..."where our governors make our license plates" ! :D

I just wanted to stop by and that you for all you Tamera and your team does for promoting Long Distance Mushing.

here's a few ?? kinda off the cuff:

1. Whats you "always in the sledbag" no essential item? could be a particular food, trinket or MoJo...

2. Do you take music? Radio? or any other time killing items?

3. Is your School tour brining you anywhere close to St Louis area in Illinois?

Thanks for participating....making up the time in the quest seemed like a "don't get mad;get even" situation. In my humble opinion you did the only thing you could, call up the team and Haul Butt to Fairbanks.

ThisSpaceForRent
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

PreviousNext

Return to Archive