ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (live from Nome!)

Postby CynCyn37 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Congrats on getting to Nome!

You had us worried for awhile there. Glad to know that you are safe and sound. Hope all of you can rest and recouperate now!

I know that you've said this was the roughest race, so you may not have a 'fun' moment. If you do, please tell us about your best or most enjoyable moment on the trail!
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm

:D So glad to have you back on the forum safe and sound Hugh, thanks! We were on pins and needles watching your race and willing you to the finish line! :)
Now that you are done and have had a little bit of time to process the journey, could you share with us some of the thoughts that ran through your mind when you turned around and headed back to Shak?
Was this the first time you had seen winds like this?
What have you learned in dealing with wind and are you going to change your racing gear to reflect that?

Thanks for your reply! :)

Tamra check your private messages! :)
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Job Well Done, Hugh and Team! Pets and scritches to the pups! We were soooo worried when we saw you turn around. Many thanks to Tamra for keeping us updated.

What dogs on your team really came through for you this year? Any surprises?

Thanks!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Hey Hugh, glad you're back safe. Nice job with those dogses.

1. Did you actually make it out as far as the "plywood cabin" out of Shaktoolik, or did you turn around before you got that far? Were you relieved to have an extra day of rest there? (I'm guessing you didn't play much basketball <grin>)

2. Do the dogs know when you're sick and slow down? or are you good at faking non-sickness?

3. How much food does each dog eat each day? and how d'you judge how much to take with you on the sled each run? do you usually know if bad weather is imminent and pack more in case you get stuck out there?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our endless questions :)

elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (from Nome!)

Postby BB Backer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:25 am

Hugh, we're so happy you made it to Nome and that you have come back to share your race with us. I know it wasn't the race you had hoped for, but you must feel an intense feeling of accomplishment for finishing.

With that said, "How do/did you handle the pain?"

Were there any sections of the race that you & the dogs were in real peril...where if you made the wrong decision it could be life threatening ? :o

You also mentioned that you didn't plan to go back to the Quest until improvements were made with race officials/organizers. After this tough Iditarod, have you changed your mind about doing the Quest? And what are your thoughts about racing in the Iditarod next year?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. Your Iditabuddies were pulling for you all the way. :D

Good luck in the future! And give the pooches a big hug for us...job well done! :D
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:51 am

Hugh and Tamra: I hope you BOTH are feeling better now. Sounds like you guys had a doozy of a cold or something worse!

Three questions:
1. I know when I don't feel well, there really is "No place like home". So, Hugh, was there a time on the trail or in a checkpoint where you so desperately wanted to throw in the towel and go home?

2. Mother Nature really smacked down hard on the race this year. Though it's Alaska and weather is always an issue, this is the first year since I've been following the race online that weather was such a hugely significant factor. It sounds like some folks were in serious, possibly critical situations and, without an official word, I've read that at least one driver feels the weather may have been contributory in the death of two of his dogs. This isn't another serum run where lives are at stake; it's a race. Races have been called for any number of reasons, not the least of which is weather. I love this race and the dogs that run it, and yeah some of the mushers, too. ;) So my question is really one from the perspective of devil's advocate: Is there a point, should there be a point, where race officials wave the red flag and bring the race to a halt, even temporarily?

3. Lastly, I came across the comment somewhere that "there's always trail for the leader, but the rest of the field is on their own", or words to that effect. In a race like this one, with the weather of this one, is there a benefit to being out front on "freshly-broken" trail?

Thanks, Hugh. Having you and the other mushers visit with us means a lot. We fans are starved for every tidbit of info we can pull in. What the ITC provides just leaves us craving for more. Thanks, Tamra, for your updates and stories. :D Happy trails to both of you!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Hugh, this was a hard tough go for everyone out there and I'll woman up to say that from my safe armchair. So many times in this race we have feared for human and canine lives, and prayed, willed, sent up all good thoughts for safe passage and succor for those in harms way.

Do the mushers/drivers have a timely weather report/ weather forecast/ when they set out from CP ?

breeze
Breeze

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 15: Hugh Neff (open to questions)

Postby emwcee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 am

So glad to hear you made it to Nome safetly. You had us worried there for a while. When I saw your GPS going backwards, I was on pins and needles, thinking the frostbite had gotten worse and that you were going to scratch. I was so happy and relieved to see you moving ahead again. Congratulations on a great race! And a big thanks to Tamra for joining us in the forum and chatroom.

I hope you're not too overwhelmed by our questions. Here are a few more:

1. What are some precautions you're going to take next time to avoid frostbite? Do you have any cold weather tips you want to pass along, even for fans? What are the warning signs we should watch for?

2. How did the storm affect your race? Do you think the extra time you spent waiting out the storm helped you recover from your frostbite?

3. Do you post on your website the stops you plan to make on your school tours? Do you think any of the classrooms would let a homeschool family (such as us) come join them? (Just hoping)

emwcee (Marcia)
emwcee

Postby tamra » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 am

Hey guys,

So we got caught by Mt Redoubt. We flew out of Nome Sunday night after the banquet with the dogs. Just as we were going down the runway they announced that the volcano had just erupted and we were turning around. After waiting for wind reports in the lobby for two hours they decided to take us to Fairbanks instead of Anchorage. We got to Fairbanks around 3am and they took us over to the warehouse with the dogs so we could let them all out. We then slept on the floor in the warehouse until 7am. Tried to rent a U-haul to get the dogs back to Anchorage but they didn't have anything suitable. Ended up borrowing a truck from Lester Erhart and sahring the drive with Hans Gatt and Gerry Willomitzer. Needless to say we're really behind schedule. We're just leaving for Whitehorse now. Hugh will be able to start answering questions tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know we hadn't disappeared. Not sure how all the other mushers will get out of Nome. They've been cancelling all the flights.
tamra

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks tamra, you know how some of us are worry warts ;)
Everyone must be really tired, glad you are making it home.
Round about way maybe, but making it there :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Archive