Pre-Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Pre-Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby Johncn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:00 am

Hello,

:idea: Please use this thread for telling the SBT kids what YOU want to know from the mushers they can track down at the Ceremonial Start. :idea:

They will attempt to ask your questions directly to the musher(s) you list, and will record what they say by either video or audio.
Links to video or audio clips of answers will be posted here...March 2nd or 3rd 8-)

Format

Name of Musher(s): Name Here - it is OK to leave this blank if it is a general question. If you have more than one, please list separately.
Your Question: Dignissim nostrud suscipit feugait nulla vel commodo vel autem delenit, nonummy ut tincidunt ut sed?

No promises, but one of the kids thought of this, and it was a real "D'oh!!" moment. I mean, we have the ability to have you fans get the questions you REALLY want answered, so why only try to guess? :roll:

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Re: Ceremonial Start: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby tilstede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:29 am

Oh, you are all stunning :!:
tilstede

Re: Pre_Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 am

What an absolutely brilliant idea! Now I only have to come up with a question that isn't totally moronic.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Re: Pre-Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby flowerpower » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:35 pm

This is so exciting! Since I now have my entire school involved (more or less :D ) I have sent this great opportunity out to all my teachers to see if they or any of the kids have questions! Very Cool! 8-)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Pre_Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby tilstede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:50 pm

MotorWerk wrote:Now I only have to come up with a question that isn't totally moronic.

Don't worry, dear :-)

Imagine the day and the situation when the questions are presented to the mushers.
THey will be exhausted after fixing 1000 small details befor the race, they've got 16 dogs in string, still wondering if they picked the right ones, have said hello to fellow mushers and inknown Idita-riders, there are thousands of spectactors, dog's barking.. and so on ...

Given such circumstances, I'm afraid we're not able to make our questions simple enough to be suitable :-)
tilstede

Postby BB Backer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:05 am

I love this idea. Here are couple of possible questions.

Musher: Any veteran
Question: What do you do to keep your dogs upbeat & positive over such long distances? (sing? whistle? sweet talk?)

Musher: Any veteran
Question: When you get to the point where you feel like scratching, what do you use as your motivation to continue? (your family? sponsors? dogs? stubbornness? pride?)

I'll be looking forward to your interviews. :)
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Johncn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:02 am

Good ones, BB. Thanks! 8-)

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:41 am

Hi. Ever since Harald Tunheim told me stories about his "visions" due to lack of sleep during long races, I've been interested in what sleep deprevation does to you. So:

Musher: Any.
Question: What are your tricks when the need to sleep is to urgent? And have you had any weird "visions" or such like during a race?

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby BB Backer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:08 am

SuldalsXpressen -
A couple of years ago when touring Martin Buser's kennel, I asked him about hallucinations. He said something to this effect: Sure he’s had them, especially in the years that the race took 14 to 15 days. He remembers dodging through a forest leaning and turning the sled to miss trees. He got into the checkpoint and a native asked him what he was doing. Buser was so proud of himself because he didn’t hit a single tree. The native said, “The nearest tree is 150 miles that way.”
One of his most vivid hallucinations took place at 2 in the afternoon. He saw Swenson pass him on the trail and remarked on how great his dogs looked. It turned out that there were no tracks in front of Buser, as he was in the lead, and Swenson was an hour behind.
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby cat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:54 am

My students are always thinking of food. So our question to the mushers:

To: Any Musher
Question: What is your number one food treat in your food drops?

Hey, Thanks, John! All of your work and attention to detail is certainly appreciated. I particularly like how your forum is so student directed & student friendly! IditaProject rocks!
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Next

Return to Mushing Talk