Pre-Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Pre-Race Questions: What do YOU Want to Know??

Postby Heidi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:23 am

Any veteran Iditarod musher: What is the funniest thing that has ever happened to you while running the Iditarod?

Any musher: Do you have any superstitions about the race concerning yourself, your dogs, your sled, anything?

Rohn Buser: Have you learned anything while on the race that your dad forgot to give you advice about? ;)
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 pm

great idea john!!

ive always wondered how you keep a team going during a distance race compared to a sprint race, where as we are trying to keep the dogs running as fast as then can for as long as they can, rather than in a distance race when the disire is to go fast, but actually needing to keep dogs at a pace that they dont burn out, yet still keep up a good pace, seems like a much finer balance to achieve.

so to KIM Franklin from the UK:
how does it compare running 1000 mile race to running a 5 mile race when trying to keep a pace going?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Johncn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:55 am

Hello,

Kids have started doing some interviews,and thought I'd give this a bump. Press briefing today.

Remember, we will have students TRY to get YOUR questions for the mushers answered before the race starts..but only if post them here. We kind of expected this to be a popular thread, but sometimes we guess wrong! :o

Answers will be posted, mostly, this weekend on Sunday and will be in video and/or audio format.

Note: I believe Damon has scheduled a visit to Martin Buser's place on Friday for a couple of the SBT kids to interview him.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:14 am

Point taken, John :D

Musher: Kjetil Backen
Question: Team Norway has been known for their stategies, and you are the man behind them. How much do you stick to your schedule? Has the schedule changed much after you now have finished two I'rods?

Musher: Martin Buser
Question: You have raced the I'rod many, many times. How much have you told/taught Rohn about do's and dont's? Have you helped him with a schedule for the race? AND: Is your race record beatable this year, you think?

Musher: Paul Gebhardt
Question: You are one of the mushers to go the furthest before taking you mand 24. Why do you do this? And have you found it a key to your latest years of success?

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Moose » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 am

It's kind of hard to come up with questions that haven't been asked a hundred times already. Just not all that creative, I guess. (Although Eskil just did a pretty good job.) But here's one off the cuff:

To any veteran: Does the apparent popularization of the race, with growing fan base, increased publicity, broadening sponsorships, larger purses, affect you positively or negatively on a personal level? Is there a point at which growth might affect the Spirit of the Race--whatever you see that to be?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby dilli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:05 am

To Anderson, King, Buser, Swenson, Seavey, Jonrowe, Gebhardt, Mackey, Iten, Baker, Gatt, Kleedehn, Moore and Zirkle:

Do you have specific criteria you use to assess and determine how and when your dogs' physiological and metabolic processes have fully adapted and reached optimal level of extreme athletic performance during a long distance race?

From your long distance racing observations and experiences over many years, have you discovered if there is a particular point you and your team reach during a long distance race where you consistently feel it isn't necessary to restrain your dogs' pace and speed any longer?
We've got treats
dilli

Postby BB Backer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 am

I'm especially looking forward to the kids' interview at Martin's place.

I'd love for them to ask about the makeup of this year's team. I know that almost all of his dogs will lead, but who are some of his superstars? Who is the speediest? During crunch time in a dangerous situation, who will he put in lead? Do any of them have quirky personalities or crazy things they do on the trail? If I remember right, Bronson his leader on the record setting team, used to veer to the left. I know they all bond with Martin, but is there one dog that is that special one...sort of like Susan Butcher's Granite? What will be the range of ages on this year's team?

It's all about the dogs! :D

Thanks again. I know the kids will do an outstanding job, as always. :)
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby dilli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 am

To Louis Nelson Sr

In the past, you've been affectionately referred in the media as Uncle Louie and his Traveling Smörgåsbord

What goodies are you packing in your sled this trip??? :lol:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:16 pm

Sorry John, I was hoping our kids would come up with more, but we have our big round of state mandated testing next week, so all the teachers minds are elsewhere...
Anyway..for any of the mushers..
How do they keep all the food from spoiling if it gets warm?

What are their favorite foods?

Can they take ice cream since its really cold?
(the little kids were really into the food aspect for some reason, maybe it was close to lunch? :P )

How do you keep your dogs happy and upbeat on the trail?

What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you on the trail?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Johncn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Thanks, guys...

Kids are compiling questions today and tomorrow, and writing their shot lists out, so feel free to suggest more. Although some are similarto what they generated on their own, there ARE some interesting ones in the list so far that the kids wouldn't have known to ask, and which draw on the in depth knowledge this user group has....which was the idea :)

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk