How did the storm change the 2009 Iditarod finish

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: How did the storm change the 2009 Iditarod finish

Postby eorogers » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:43 am

Breeze

I remember that also. Martin's wife Kathy had flown in before the storm with Paul Claus - Kathy played checker, vet, comms, and race judge for the front runners. The storm was so bad even snowmachines couldn't make it in - the only way in or out was by dog team. Got to love those lead dogs! Quite a story, but I can't remember the year.

Eric
eorogers

Postby fladogfan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 am

Was not long ago, because I remember that too and I haven't been following the race for very many years .
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby braider » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm

I think Mith called that checkpoint that year and talked to Kathy. ...Dave
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby mira » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:47 am

I'm pretty sure something very similar at least happened the first year Bjørnar raced, 2005. It's a documentary about Bjørnar that year and I remember that they missed pictures in the end because of a storm which only the sled dogs could go through.

Time for some research I guess :)
mira

Postby mira » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 am

Google and adn is really our friends :)

From wikipedia:
On March 14 to March 15, a storm along the southern shore of the Seward Peninsula grounded most airplanes, which prevented the small aircraft of the Iditarod Air Force from flying veterinarians and race officials into White Mountain before the leaders arrived, though local volunteers were present. The whiteout conditions and open water on the trail made snowmobile travel unsafe. This is the first time since at least 1988 that veterinarians were present to check teams arriving at a checkpoint, and the single veterinarian at Elim was overworked. Flights began again on March 16, but gusts of winds remained high (30 to 35 mph).

This is from wikipedia, so the information might not be accurate (but it usually is :) )

..and then from adnsearch.com:

Pinned down by bad weather in White Mountain on Tuesday, Chugiak pilot Paul Claus and Susitna Valley teacher Kathy Chapoton, wife of musher Martin Buser, got drafted as "volunteers'' for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

For 24 hours straight, they were the checkers, dropped-dog handlers, communications coordinator and veterinarian for what is one of the most important checkpoints on the 1,100-mile trail from Anchorage to Nome.

This article is from March 17, 2005.

During my search I also found an article from 2002, doing an year by year description of Iditarod.
mira

Postby eorogers » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

Mira

Good catch!

Eric
eorogers

Postby fladogfan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Y'all amaze me daily, with stories and research and photos, etc. The year by year report from ADN is concise and informative from 1973-2002. 1978 brought leaky eyes about the plane crash and the lost musher and dogs.

Thanks to all who take the time to tell their adventures, to those who do the research, to the photo posters and to all who help us here at BSSD.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mamamia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Actually Breeze, it was Kathy Buser who opened and staffed the cp. She was flying down the trail to see Martin and got to WM before the storm. When the storm hit none of the ITC volunteers could get through either by plane or by snow machine. Of course the mushers were still going up the trail. Being an Iditarod "veteran" of sorts she opened up the cp and ran things until the ITC could get in. I well remember that night if only for our Mith manning the phones to get info from WM when the ITC wasn't able to get any to us. That started our tradition of calling the cp ourselves for the real story. I don't remember exactly what year that was but I remember that night.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Good job Mira! I guess I should have read the whole thread before I replied.
mamamia

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

GREAT STATS it always makes me marvel at the resourcefulness of the iditabuddies and the info we can dig up. puts others to shame.

thanks for the hard work!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk