ITC weirdness

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ITC weirdness

Postby tilstede » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:28 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope not, but think it is reason to be very worried about the update services during the race.
Seems to me that ITC believe that a site with sparkling colours, videos and photos is what is needed to provide for race fans.
Hiding old results like they have done, is a witness of a lack of ability to imagine that some people have interests beyond visualities.

Primarely I'm a race fan because of all the statistics and the stories behind. I want hard facts during the race, not glossy videos.

I would very much like to be positively surprised by enhanced race updates this year. But unfortunately I remember too well the last time they changed the current updates display, a change to the worse. And I'm not sure if they have done anything to develope current standings, even after they said they would work with our improvement suggestions at Cabela's forum last year.

They promised something about that joining forces between Cabelas and ITC would provide better and more accurate info or something like that ... maybe as a symptom, I can't find their info sheet about the merging on their site.

I really hate to be negative, but I cant find any sign of improvement at the site so far.
But - I really would love it if my expectations are wrong!
tilstede

Postby tilstede » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Found the statement about the Cabela's /ITC-merger

After poor Dilli's experience and heavy clicking session to find out about last years 24h-layovers,I had to giggle when I found the following statement:

“By integrating the compelling race coverage Cabela’s Iditarod site is known for with in-depth information direct from the Iditarod Trail Committee, we’ve created the ultimate Web site for fans of The Last Great Race,” said Tom Rosdail, Cabela’s vice president of marketing. “Everything fans want to know about the race is now just one click away.”

:D :evil: :D :evil: :D
tilstede

Postby mithious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 pm

tilstede wrote:Found the statement about the Cabela's /ITC-merger

After poor Dilli's experience and heavy clicking session to find out about last years 24h-layovers,I had to giggle when I found the following statement:

“By integrating the compelling race coverage Cabela’s Iditarod site is known for with in-depth information direct from the Iditarod Trail Committee, we’ve created the ultimate Web site for fans of The Last Great Race,” said Tom Rosdail, Cabela’s vice president of marketing. “.”
Everything fans want to know about the race is now just one click away
:D :evil: :D :evil: :D

I counted atleast 6 clicks to get to the place where you then must click on each musher, and since this year there are 96 mushers, that means, at the very least, you must click atleast 102 times to get the info you desire :? :? :roll:

ONE CLICK? ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:51 pm

tilstede wrote:Found the statement about the Cabela's /ITC-merger

“By integrating the compelling race coverage Cabela’s Iditarod site is known for with in-depth information direct from the Iditarod Trail Committee, we’ve created the ultimate Web site for fans of The Last Great Race,” said Tom Rosdail, Cabela’s vice president of marketing. “Everything fans want to know about the race is now just one click away.”

Well, that sounds great, but it ain't necessarily so. :( I just went searching for manditory 24 info and thank God Dilli left a trail of breadcrumbs. One click away? How about 70 to 80!?!?!?!?!?! :x I just came up for air, and I'm heading back again. If you don't hear from me before midnight, please notify the authorities and send in the dogs--my dogs. I'm sure they'll find me as I'll have treats in my pocket. :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:58 pm

I had the same experience. It was as if I was in that movie, Tron.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby braider » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:25 pm

I think it has to do with Gere's business concept of marketing to young people. I'll grant that to be a good business strategy for a lot of marketing, but, I think not for the Iditarod. Taking a look at the crowds at the starts might help confirm that.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Not sure you remember this, but it's heaven for stat-junkies :D :D Only good for 2001-2005, but hopefully Christian at hurdal.com will update sometime.

http://iditaxpress.com/104/iditarod/mainframeset.php

Sure beats the heck out of what itc comes up with...

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby mithious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Oh thanks Eskil :D :D :D

Anyone know where the update page is? or last years list of mushers? On the ITC page? How about THIS years mushers? I'm completely lost....it just took my DU connection 8 minutes to load their page :shock: and I was trying to look for last years mushers final stats....like Cabelas had...has that gone poof too? I thought geredonovan creative was going to incorporate ALL of the features Cabelas had? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby Aron the Mutt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 pm

You'll find past race archives when you click the "learn about"-icon on the I'rod front page.
Previously known as "Farmer" on the Cabela's forum.
Aron the Mutt

Postby mithious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Site Design and Development
Gere Donovan Creative
Gere Donovan Creative (GDC) is a multi-disciplined design firm with offices in Portland, Oregon and Anchorage, Alaska. Our clients include companies like GCI, Onvia, Digimarc, Centennial Software and Tatitlek Corporation as well as non-profit organizations such as Artists for the Arts, Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, and, most recently, the Iditarod Trail Committee. Learn more about GDC by visiting

http://www.geredonovan.com
info@geredonovan.com

Incase anyone wants to ask about the new site or offer suggestions ;)

Thanks Aron...... :D
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk