ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:

Postby Mountainmomma » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:40 pm

NO CONTEST: WILLIAM KLEEDEHN
2. Buser

Those who know Kleedehn expect him to TOP 10 or at least top 20.
Mountainmomma

Re: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:

Postby cat » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:04 pm

I agree!
Other rookies just of interest to me are 2 rookies from mushing families Robert Nelson (Nelson Sr's son) & the youngest gal ever in the Iditarod Nome's Melissa Owens (Michael Owens' daughter).
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby Iditarodfansince1981 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:29 am

my rookie of the year is Rohn Buser.should be a great rookie race.
Iditarodfansince1981

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:09 pm

me too rohn buser for rookie, but gotta put a vote in for kim franklin too as our musher from the uk, dogs always run well for her, shes one of those mushers that dogs and her speak the same language and have that very rare extra special connection! go kim!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:18 pm

About Kim Franklin - I know she has done some 200/300 mile races, but has she done any long-distance?
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

not sure, MW she is very quiet person and so far has managed to keep out of the lime light, apart from the inside interview thingy, she just prefers it that way and gets on with running dogs. theres been nothing in the uk outside the mushing fraternity about her running the trail, but we all wish her well her in the uk, ian her partner is flying the trail to keep an eye out and watch her progress etc so im sure we'll get the odd bit of info from the inside coming back to the uk. i know she is running osmar dogs and has been training and has good dogs to run with. we all wish her good trails and hope that she gets to nome with happy healthy dogs!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:31 pm

tanglefoot wrote: we all wish her good trails and hope that she gets to nome with happy healthy dogs!

Indeed we do.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Marge » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:35 am

The rookie of the year could well be Benoit Gerard. He has been a handler of Robert Sorlie so he will have learned a thing or two from him...
Marge

Postby boo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:12 am

Tangles, when I watched Kim's team go out yesterday, it looked like Jumbo was in lead on the right....HUGE white dog. I asked Rach last night if that was true and she said 'yes'. She has an amazing dog there.....he finished his first Irod with Rach in '06 and he is a superstar....he was young that year, but he's cool....he really only likes to lead, but is OK in swing, sets a fantastic pace, is enormous (but not prone to injury---rare in a huge young dog) and super sweet. It sort of looked like Tarzan was the other leader....maybe. Tarzan is the one Rach put in lead when she woke up to find herself out on jumble ice alone. Tarzan had finished several Irods, so she put him in lead, pointed him to the lights of Koyuk and told him not to do anything stupid. Kim has great dogs with the Osmars and should have a wonderful rookie run.
boo
boo

Postby Johncn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:20 am

Hey There,

Those that know Rick Holt think he has a shot ;-)

Rick himself is focused on getting to Nome, and just laughs when ROTY is mentioned. Those who know him well are not ready to dismiss him so easily as a contender! He does NOTHING halfway. He is VERY smart, focused, and undertakes any assigned task as a serious, concerted effort. He has dreamed of this race for many years, and I have no doubt he will give it his all within the bounds of keeping his dogs safe.

One thing is for sure: Once Rick gets to the Kaltag portage area, his dogs will know right where they are...he lived and raised many of those dogs in Unalakleet and Elim. The weather, the conditions, the trail, the smells and the faces and village scenes will all be familiar. The children he used to teach, their parents and their current teachers will be the checkpoint volunteers and fans all along the Coast. Go Rick Go :!:

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Next

Return to Mushing Talk