Rumor or Reality? - Iditarod Reality Series

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rumor or Reality?

Postby tilstede » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:23 pm

:D :D You're priceless, Mith,and I very much appriciate it :D :D
tilstede

Postby Heidi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:44 pm

mithious wrote:
Heidi wrote:Hey Mith, speaking of the ITC... while you're there why don't you go have a word with them boys? LOL ;) Just make sure one of the BSSD kids is nearby so we can see it on video! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

ROFHowling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT would be something...... ;) :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear it now, Mr. Hooley, we have this problem, yes I know you're busy wining and dinning all the VIP's BUT, Yes, but, Yes but, excuse me, but Mr. Hooley.....Mr. Hooley.....excuse me, but......Spirit, get him, HOLD....sorry for that Mr. Hooley, but I REALLY need just a moment of your time, good boy Spirit, HOLD......Sir, the Fans have some VERY important questions to ask you pertaining to

Spirit, I said HOLD......SPIRIT......OH fir.....MR. HOOOOLLLEEEYYYY.......... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mith, that was pretty funny, and I realize you're just joking around. ;) :D :D
Heidi

Postby dilli » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Can't breathe .. laughing too hard again ..

Help me lolololololololol I can't take it anymore
AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO

thud
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This reads like the promo of a new reality show! "Can This Iditarod be Saved?"

Longtime race fans Mith and Spirit sneak into ITC headquarters on the pretext of being part of a tour. When no one is looking, they enter Hooley's office and hide in the drapery. Hooley enters, Spirit immobilizes him effectively but harmlessly, Mith force-feeds Hooley brownies until he admits the error of his ways. As the camera fades, the three are seen in front of a computer screen, in the mist of an aurora-like Iditaglow, happily calling up stats at the touch of a button!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Gatekeeper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:59 pm

You guys are a hoot!!!!

I have heard that there is a film crew out getting lots of footage now, and will be out on the trail. Can't say any more because I don't know any more.

GK
Gatekeeper

Postby sunhusky » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:35 pm

There are quite a few mushers who are being followed, so to speak. I'm not at liberty to give names, but am quite impressed with their efforts to follow a wide spectrum of the field, not just a select few. I've also seen photos of one of the devices being used to obtain footage, which is nothing less than what I'd call a doggie head cam. Looked like an alien doggie with that weird looking "hat" on its head, but it was smiling! Should be fun.
sunhusky

Postby mithious » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 am

Heidi wrote:
mithious wrote:
Heidi wrote:Hey Mith, speaking of the ITC... while you're there why don't you go have a word with them boys? LOL ;) Just make sure one of the BSSD kids is nearby so we can see it on video! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

ROFHowling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT would be something...... ;) :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear it now, Mr. Hooley, we have this problem, yes I know you're busy wining and dinning all the VIP's BUT, Yes, but, Yes but, excuse me, but Mr. Hooley.....Mr. Hooley.....excuse me, but......Spirit, get him, HOLD....sorry for that Mr. Hooley, but I REALLY need just a moment of your time, good boy Spirit, HOLD......Sir, the Fans have some VERY important questions to ask you pertaining to

Spirit, I said HOLD......SPIRIT......OH fir.....MR. HOOOOLLLEEEYYYY.......... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mith, that was pretty funny, and I realize you're just joking around. ;) :D :D

Oh GOODNESS.....did someone say something? OF COURSE I WAS JOKING AROUND :roll:

For the record, Spirit comes from the Todouriff line...I think I'm speliling that right....too much to do right now to look up his AKC papers. The breeder breeds for DOCILITY, and longevity....she shows her dogs. The police DID ask her to buy some of her dogs, the price STARTS at $1500.00 for an 8 week old pup, but she told them they didn't WANT her dogs....they have had the aggressiveness, that is know in Spirit's breed, bred out of her line....

Spirit has NEVER, had ANY kind of aggression training what-so-ever. If one of the breeder's dogs doesn't "make the cut" for show, which Spirit didn't because of his bad teeth...I have to brush them and do regular dental check ups....she will offer to donate them to HSDM, or to spell out the whole mane, Hearing and Service Dogs of Minnesota. HSDM WON'T take dogs that show ANY kind of "off" temperment....they go through a rigorous exam and training period to cull out any dog that would not be able to pass their high standard for "public access". If they do end up being culled the dog goes into their "career change program" and is placed with a person, or family, that want's a very well trained dog, but didn't meet the VERY HIGH standards set for a service dog......

We ALSO have to go through a rigorous "public access" training period together AFTER the 2 years of training, and the $21,000.00( yes folks it's 21 thousand dollars US money) THAT it costs to train these special dogs, which after ANOTHER rigorous check into the CLIENT, MANY forms, DOCOTORS form, ECT ECT.... the dogs are provied to us free of charge ...they are not ALL German Shepards also, some are rescues from the Humane society, labs, and many other breeds are included and used as service dogs. To date, they have had only ONE husky that passed muster with their program, a Sib...it started as a "pet dog" a dog an owner had started training......IF the Director of training does approve these "pet dogs", or ANY dog, AFTER putting them through ANOTHER rigorious test for temperment...then the dogs are placed with "foster" families, with the exception of the "pet dogs" obviously, while the dogs go through the training period which, like I said, can be as long as 2 years. NO DOG WITH ANY TENDANCIES TOWARDS AGGRESSION, or a dog that might frighten easily, to give an example....would come close to passing the "public access" test!!!!

A dog that frightens easily, for example, could have the POTENTIAL to bite, out of fear...so they go into the "career change program". Also this facility isn't part of the "prison programs" you see on tv, nor do they take federal or state funding. ALL funding is private, corporations, or estates that are left to the program, thus they are self sustaining......they just started a pilot program, based on one in Canada, where they have trained and placed, I think, 4 dogs, as assitance/service dogs for very young Autistic children.....

This is a top notch program that places dogs around the nation.....and has NEVER had a problem with ANY of the dogs they have placed as Service dogs EVER!!!!! The Director of Training...besides being a personal friend of mine, is the best in the field, for facilitating the procurement of these dogs, assessing them for "public access", training or overseeing the traing by some of the other specially trained staff, and getting the right match between dog and client.

I hope this very long explination alliviates any concerns anyone might have after my post, ( JOKING ) about Spirit and Hooley.....Sorry if my JOKE caused a problem or concern for anyone......If anyone has any furthur questions about HSDM, Spirit, or Service Dogs in general please feel free to ask me ANY questions you might have and I will promptly answer any and all questions, even when I am in Alaska. If you are not satisfied with MY answers, I can direct you to the Director of Training, or anyone else you might want to speak to at HSDM for furthur questioning.......

Sincerely
Mithious
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby bourgeois_rage » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 am

sunhusky wrote:There are quite a few mushers who are being followed, so to speak. I'm not at liberty to give names, but am quite impressed with their efforts to follow a wide spectrum of the field, not just a select few. I've also seen photos of one of the devices being used to obtain footage, which is nothing less than what I'd call a doggie head cam. Looked like an alien doggie with that weird looking "hat" on its head, but it was smiling! Should be fun.

Thanks for the info, June. I'm intrigued.
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:48 am

Mith, everything's alright, but please read the "ITC Weirdness" thread when you get a chance. But everything's cool now, so no worries. :) :) :) :) :)
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 am

bourgeois_rage wrote:
sunhusky wrote:There are quite a few mushers who are being followed, so to speak. I'm not at liberty to give names, but am quite impressed with their efforts to follow a wide spectrum of the field, not just a select few. I've also seen photos of one of the devices being used to obtain footage, which is nothing less than what I'd call a doggie head cam. Looked like an alien doggie with that weird looking "hat" on its head, but it was smiling! Should be fun.

Thanks for the info, June. I'm intrigued.

Me too. As long as this is not used to 'spot' the teams. As we know there are a lot of interesting things that happen all along the trail, including the back of the pack and the middle also, come to think of it. Should be fun for us arm chair mushers. :)
fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk