GPS, satelllite navigation, and the Iditarod? Opinions?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: GPS, satelllite navigation, and the Iditarod? Opinions?

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I've used this Earthslot program for the last few years at Iditarod time and they just keep getting better and better! The flying controls are better and easier than they ever have been. If you get down low like you are running the trail and see a blue dot go look for the picture. If you haven't yet go run the gorge!

Thanks for the reminder... I had forgotten about this program!
mamamia

Postby IdahoCliff » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Moose wrote:... Google Earth ...(is) ... Way better than the ITC Tracker. ...
Yes it's a nice display, but it doesn't tell us anything that's not on the race standings. It WON'T show where the musher is actually located when not at one of the checkpoints. Note that they are always shown at a checkpoint, even after they have left it. Whereas the GPS tracker will show the ACTUAL location.

I think they both have their place. The GPS tracker is neat for the long runs so that you don't have to guess or wait until they actaully get to the next checkpoint.

My 2 cents,
/s/ Cliff
IdahoCliff

Postby sc-race-fan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:09 am

Found this post by Russ of IonEarth re: daylight savings time changes. Thought those still looking at it would be interested. NOTE mention of NOT ITC information!!

"Time display on the web is calculated based on your browsers of time and timezone, all times sent to the web are in GMT and re-calculated. So if you have a browser less than 10 years old and remember to change your computers time to the correct time for your timezone and DST settings you should be ok.

Then we can all start wasting money if you believe this
Wall Street Journal article (((a link to a news article that did not copy)))

Edit: Note this only applies to the live web tracking. I do not know ITC's plans."
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 am

Here's an interesting article on the distance(s) offered for the Iditarod trail:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/335316.html
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk