adn.com

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: adn.com

Postby mithious » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:33 pm

Boo,

I never got Gails post? I have NO CLUE what was said, other than what you said? I'm still half confused :?

Ya I saw that..... :? I'm still going HUH?

Oh wonderful...oh that would be awesome....I hope I can talk some big Alaskan guys into helping me over to her dog truck....who knows, maybe? wouldn't that be the bomb? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oh I hope they can pull bibs together!!!!! Yup your right...being at the back DOES insure the doggie flu!!!!! It only takes one head down to scoop some snow :shock: That was a very hard year...soooo sloppy and wet too...remember? Who was it that went swimming in overflow? I forget..old timers ;) I felt sooo bad for them having to scratch......lots of snow this year, except up around Unalakleet....

Well, we are praying for all involved... ;)
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Breeze » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Boo, Mith.... and all...

When I read Craig's piece I sincerely wondered if he has ever even held a Garmin GPS unit in his hands, or actually USED one to get from point A to Point B. One needs a lot more than a battery pack to use a GPS, and the myriad of way points needed to navigate the Iditarod Trail routes by dogsled make the thought simply silly.

He just doesn't want to UNDERSTAND any part of the pure gut-knowledge combination of skilled musher/sled-driver, skilled dogs, Iditarod trail culture or community. Craig writes to an audience that is similarly ignorant, but still wants to "hear and sensationalize" about Rachel and the Iditarod. He sells his copy because there is an ample audience for "water cooler conversation", and anyone can invoke his prejudicial opinion because they read the daily paper....... without thinking of the real world test.

Rachel is now an Iditarod veteran. She has finished. She 's been lost, off course, hurt, has had sick dogs, has scratched to favor her dogs health , been personally beat up, thrashed physically and mentally, and yet she is ready to do it again, AMEN.

Rachel isn't a rookie, and if ITC wants to send a message that She and Joe are second hand citizens, I'd be right in line to complain.

Breeze

Breeze
Breeze

Postby mithious » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:31 pm

WOW, had a hard time trying to post to this thread all of a sudden...weird!!!!

Yup Breeze.....Rachael knows what she needs....she's running this race the way she want's to......ALOT of other mushers team up and travel together throughout the race....

I have not been a Medred fan myself :roll: .....I like what Boo said Me-Dread ROFL

Soon there will be someone or something else to take his mind and pen elsewhere :D

GO RACHAEL GO !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby flowerpower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:04 pm

My experience has been that people who talk ABOUT people with so-called "handicaps" have never talked TO people with "handicaps", and thus they remain ignorant people who are best ignored. :evil:
Last edited by ThisSpaceForRent on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: took out one word....
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby boo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Um, he is a wee bit more sinister than that.....in '05 he hopscotched a good ways up the trail, poising himself at dicey places in the trail, waiting for her to pass, then zooming ahead to the next dicey section. Paul Ellering knew exactly who he was and keenly observed what Medred was doing. Just felt like he was hoping for a train wreck and perhaps be vindicated in his venomous attacks before the race. Rach had no idea who he was until AFTER he gave her a ride out on the Skwentna airstrip to catch Cletus (one of her dogs that had been dropped at that checkpoint) and who got away from the vets. Cletus is very shy around strangers so Rach wanted to go get him.....and he ran straight into her arms, luckily. Even with all the aircraft and snowmachine commotion. I DO appreciate that he 'volunteered' to assist, but given the history, don't know that it was much more than getting closer to his 'subject' and hoping for more of a story in the end. I don't remember if that ended up in the Iditarod version of 'No End In Sight', but he never did introduce himself. Anyway......
boo
boo

Postby flowerpower » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Mmm..sounds unethical at the very least, as a former journalist I despise what jerks do in the name of a so-called "story"; still they thrive on the publicity they can generate(or create, in many instances). :twisted: I ignore them all whenever possible in hopes that they starve to death! I know it must be incredibly difficult to be on the receiving end of such bad behavior, but Rach's choice to stay above the fray speaks volumes of her character. There is no point in trying to educate such people, because true education cannot find room to grow in their tiny little brains.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mithious » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:14 pm

flowerpower wrote:Mmm..sounds unethical at the very least, as a former journalist I despise what jerks do in the name of a so-called "story"; still they thrive on the publicity they can generate(or create, in many instances). :twisted: I ignore them all whenever possible in hopes that they starve to death! I know it must be incredibly difficult to be on the receiving end of such bad behavior, but Rach's choice to stay above the fray speaks volumes of her character. There is no point in trying to educate such people, because true education cannot find room to grow in their tiny little brains.

I coudn't agree more with what you said, nor need I say more!!!! Well said flowerpower!!!!!
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk