Iditarod Leader Board Now Requires Log In

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Iditarod Leader Board Now Requires Log In

Postby Johncn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 am

Hello,

Just a note that the ITC site now requires registration to view the race standings pages.

Without the Cabela's standings data, this means that in order to follow the race at all, fans will need to register with the ITC. :(

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Re: Iditarod Leader Board Now Requires Log In

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:48 am

noticed that last night john, wonder if that will make the board less likely to crash as some people wont want to join up, or more likey to crash...we'll have to wait and see!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby braider » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:53 am

I added my email address and was let in the page immediately. No password was requested, although, they had that email address of mine from before.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 am

Same here, just added my email addy and was let in at once. Don't know why they've done it like this - maybe they need the email address to send out race updates?
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Breeze » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 am

Thanks for the heads up,

May I ask that someone post a link to the page for registration? I can't enter the Iditarod site through the home page.

Breeze

:idea: edited to say " doh" Thanks, I'm all set! Use the site map, silly woman!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Breeze
Breeze

Postby mamamia » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:19 am

Why in the world...? I wonder if II subscribers are already signed up or if you have to enter your address again? do you have to enter it every time you want to access the leader board?
mamamia

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 am

After adding my email (so that I could get to the update-page) I received an email telling me to confirm that I wanted to receive race-updates via the email addy I provided. After having done that it was no longer necessary to fill in my addy to view the whole update list.

Edit: if you're an "insider" you should only have to write the address you provided when first joining.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby dilli » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 am

Motorwerk .. you wouldn't believe what i went thru trying to find out why the stupid promo pop up kept popping up over and over .. couldn't cancel it, couldn't get rid of it no matter what they told me to do. Last night I tried one last time and found out I HAVE to accept their stupid Iditarod.com cookie to get rid of the danged promo.
They PMed me and told me unfortunately they are planning to keep that obnoxious promo up for some time to come.

It really makes me mad we have to register for the updates just do they can grab out addies to send us email offers for their products. i hope it's just a one time sign in. I dump my cookies and other stuff all the time and i hope i don't have to keep going thru this sign in or cancel that window dance for the entire race just to access the content I want to access, not the forced content they have designed to stuff down our throats in an attempt to BUY their products.

In my opinion, whoever is in charge of marketing and web design .. they have created an extremely user unfriendly website and I am among the ranks of fans who are totally alienated by and frustrated with the website at this point.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby mamamia » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:05 am

man dilli! I feel your pain. I remember when I was on dial up and I dumped my cookies all the time just to keep things loading at a decent speed. As it is I run spyware frequently especially when I am doing a lot of surfing like during the race and usually dump my cookies in the process. I guess I'll have to go through the sign in process each time.
mamamia

Postby dilli » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:40 am

Just did an experiment .. dumped cookies and went to access stats updates .. am infuriated .. if we do not permanently accept stupid Iditarod.com cookie, we DO have to re-type email addies to get the the $*$&*&#$(%&% stats page

I cannot tell you how much I have come to loathe navigating the official website and all the obstaclesthe designers have created for the fans who only want to access the content THEY WANT immediately and quickly.

If fans want to receive Irod product and marketing email newsletter updates from Iditarod.com, the Iditarod website already has links where people who want them can sign up to get them.

In my opinion this latest registry trick to access the race stats is beyond outrageous .. it is nothing more than a sneaky ploy to harvest new addresses to add to their targeted marketing database. It's just plain offensive, insulting and intrusive.
We've got treats
dilli

Next

Return to Mushing Talk