musher starting positions

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: musher starting positions

Postby JeanieB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 am

Hi Moose,
Yeah, you'd think............

Jeanie
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:51 am

still nothing on the iditarod official site about it though. or any way to check the folks that have it.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby carolynh » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:06 am

I thought the #1 musher to sign up, in this case G.B. Jones, got to choose his number. Isn't that how Lance got his number last year? He wanted the same number as his dad so he camped out at ITC HQ for who knows how long just so he'd be first to sign up. So G.B. has #45, which would put his start time around 3:40. Does that mean he wants to start at 3:40??

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby sc-race-fan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:16 am

I read somewhere in the "off season" they changed the signup rules and who got to pick when based on their signup ,because of the international flavor and travel requirements for those competitors, so the picking drawing of starting order changed. I also know from prior races, smoe mushers like to start later in the "cooler air". I'm sure they are all thinking about what's best for their team!!
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby carolynh » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:42 am

SC Race Fan,

Thanks, that explains it. No more choosing your own number. I was trying figure out why GB Jones would choose a #45. At first I wondered if that's the year he was born, but it turns out he's not *that* old. Then I started looking at some of the other results and was wondering what was going on.

I see lance has an early start, ditto Ken Anderson. A few favorites will be starting quite a ways back and later in the day, which might affect whatever strategies they're planning.

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 am

great interview with lance! nearly 1/2 hour long over two videos, great insights, worth watching!!

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/category.asp ... enu510_4_3

matty
tanglefoot

Postby boo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:08 pm

The STUPID ITC....I'm sorry, but what is the PROBLEM with these guys????......are doing the same basic stupid stunt they did in 2005. That is all I'm sayin', now I'll go back to prayin'.....they are in a meeting right now......'cuz it just doesn't make sense to penalize Rach and Joe again.....let them go out last, don't start the clock until they leave the start chute last and next-to-last. Are they so afraid of her doing well they have to penalize her the time between the #55 slot and last???? And penalize Joe the time between 85th and next-to-last. Come on, big boys......use your noggins......
boo
boo

Postby dilli » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:27 pm

(((((Boo))))) Keep us updated when/if you can.

The STUPID ITC....I'm sorry, but what is the PROBLEM with these guys????

Where would you like me to start? :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby mamamia » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
mamamia

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:09 am

thats terrible! come on itc sort it out!
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk