Student Broadcasting Team

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Student Broadcasting Team

Postby dhargraves » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, and get another discussion going. My name is Damon Hargraves, Distance Learning Facilitator for the Bering Strait School District. I will be working directly with the BSSD Student Broadcasting Team to offer live video and news coverage via VTC and this website. Feedback is greatly appreciated. The kids are pumped and I'm pumped, and we are busy planning to offer coverage from more locations than ever.
Damon Hargraves
Distance Learning Facilitator
Bering Strait School District
http://blog.bssd.org
My status
dhargraves

Skype ID: dhargraves

Re: Student Broadcasting Team

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 am

Damon thanks for the introduction :)

dhargraves wrote:The kids are pumped and I'm pumped,

I bet you are!

Now, where is the best place to give feedback? By posting on this forum? Or another part of the site? And do you still want postcards? Or does that come after the red lantern?

Feedback right now is THANK YOU :D ....very much looking forward to seeing the coverage!
Another UK Fan

Postby MarinOhio » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 am

So are we! Thanks for everything!
MarinOhio

Postby Heidi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:05 am

What Another UK Fan said! :mrgreen:

Let us know how best to go about giving feedback, etc. We are all so grateful for all the hard work you and the kids are doing.

I think my favorite thing from last year was the videotaped interviews. :)
Heidi

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:14 am

SnowKidsGo... :D

Damon...you,John, your kids and your School district ROCK.

I can't wait for the kids interviews...

daniel...aka ThisSpaceForRent
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby dilli » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 am

Ditto to what the other Iditabuddies said! :D
This past summer, I had a wonderful time going through the video and photo archives on BSSD ..
last year we had a great time live chatting with the students too!

Let us know how we can help in any other way besides spreading the word about BSSD and viewing their exciting Irod 2008 content! Whoohoo !

(((Hugs))) for all Go Team BSSD Go .. and TSFR's circled R thing .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 am

Damon, any idea why I can't get audio with either the BSSD or Insider interviews? It was a problem the last two years. I get KTUU audio and audio from most sites I visit, just not all. I've deleted existing Adobe/Acrobat programs and downloaded replacement programs a number of times, but still no audio. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Moose,

Damon will be able to help...probably!

You will want to give your specifics to him, though....probably in a PM...with comptuer type and version, browser type or the program you are trying to use to view and listen.

Also, we have LOTS of files in different formats from prior years. This year we are using stuff that will be simpler in some ways, and we'd love you to help us test before the race starts so we know all users (or most users) can participate. Some of our older files are .MP4, for instance, which means iTunes in most cases is what you need...free for Windows or Mac. Others are Quicktime, .mp3 in a couple formats, and even some Ogg Vorbins audio stuff. So, he will need a couple links to example files to help you.

The best player we've found for all three platforms - works with ALMOST anything - is VLC Player. It's an Open Source program, and therefore "free like a puppy". You may want to give that a try.

Unlike the Iditarod site, we don't have the very, very expensive Macromedia Flash production suite and server components. All our pictures, audio and video are done using freeware, shareware, or inexpensive solutions. We really try hard to make sure that Windows, Linux or Mac users can get the coverage. We know we need to work a little harder at that, but the users here can be our guinea pigs :o

We have some REAL SURPRISES planned this year, and want to make sure everyone here can see and hear.

Oh, and all of you CAN post your own pictures, video and audio files here in almost any format. You can also link to YouTube or other Flash video output. I've turned all those tags on.

Thanks, Moose.

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:48 pm

No, John. Thank YOU! :) I'm not to computer savvy, but will make note of my hardwares and softwares and send Damon a PM this evening. Really, just can't say it enough: You guys and your project...and that includes the kids...are an awesome combo.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Well, I Googled VLC Player, plunked down my credit card for $29.88 for a year's subscription (didn't want to commit to more than that without knowing if it would work--why doesn't one ever get a trial run for these programs?), clicked the continue button and came to a screen instructing me to select my "bundle". The screen listed a bunch of products, some of which were familiar, most of which were not, but nowhere did I see VLC Player listed. Clicked on the "click here if you don't see your bundle", and came to a page that says "download now". But I don't know what I'd be downloading because I never had the opportunity to choose VLC Player.

Thought I could save you guys some aggravation by stepping forward on my own. I should have known better. Why does it have to be so hard? Waaaaaahhh.

(Oh, everyone please come to my pitty party, but watch your step. Mooses cry big slippery tears and drop big slippery drool. :cry: )
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Next

Return to Mushing Talk