Top Ten Perusal

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Top Ten Perusal

Postby frizzell66 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Anyone glancing through the Top 10 thread to pick out our potential winner yet!?!

I know ROTY hasn't offically been declared yet, but it is pretty obvious it is Dan Kaduce, so everyone should be able to add up their points.

I notice no one got the Top 3 correct - how amazing is that - testifies to our inability to pick among so many good and potential mushers.

I did have one student at school successfully pick the Top 3 - last year that would have been good enough for him to win it our contest. But this year I had all our 4th and 5th graders do the Top 10 and ROTY pick - after showing them how to research their picks on the Iditarod website. The boy who successfully picked the Top 3 unfortunately only had one other Top 10 finisher picked correctly, so even with his bonus points, he didn't do so well.

For my 7th graders I made it a grade even. I took my score (40) doubled it and added 20 to make a 100. A third of the class scored higher than me (mainly because I picked Sebastian to win in our class contest, so anyone picking Mackey had a big lead on me), so I gave bonus points on up to 110%. Most of the others scored between 80-100%, except for the three who blew off the assignment totally (did no research and just marked random answers).

Anyway its been fun - we had the awarding of the big stuffed dog today - the one 5th grade class who choose Lance Mackey to root for - 5th grade gets to pick first every year, and now its tradition - Lance Mackey for 5th grade!

Fun stuff - can't wait for the mushers banquet - that's the last thing I do in my room is post all the awards on the musher's pictures!

John
frizzell66

Return to Mushing Talk